Stradale Brake Track Experience? | FerrariChat

Stradale Brake Track Experience?

Discussion in '360/430' started by WCH, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I know we've discussed the Stradale brakes before. I'm looking for reports from those who've tracked the car - how have the brakes held up (longevity, not performance, unless performance is unusually bad or good)? Any pad/rotor replacements yet?

I'm trying not to be the development driver ....

Thanks, Will

2. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I recently did a track day at Magny Cours - Enzo and Stradale brakes performed incredibly well. The track has a long straight which builds up to near top speed ending at a 2nd gear 20mph hairpin. Perfect conditions to produce fade. Stradale was agressively driven by a Ferrari nominated test driver who was getting no fade at all.

Enzo was aggressively driven as well with the same results. However, at the end of the day the rear edge of the front wheel arches was absolutely black with brake dust. This would imply a lack of longevity but the owner had tracked the car twice, done several thousand miles and was still on his first set of pads.

Izza

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Izza - thanks, that's helpful. I'm trying to determine roughly how many track days/sessions/heat cycles - whatever measurement anyone has - we can expect to see from the ceramic sets.

4. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I found the exactly the same conditions with the brakes

No fade, Heavy dusting indicating heavy wear of the pads.

I've now done two track days totalling well over 120 laps and over 4000 road miles.

I'm more concerned with tyre wear at this point.
    At this rate of wear I think about ONE more track day should do it
    before I need to replace the tyres.

Wazza

5. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You're doing well - I got only 2500 miles out of the Pilot Sport Cup tyres on the CSL!

6. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    While most high performance tires have a treadwear of about 220 Michellin Pilots, S03s,... the Pirellis (are they called Corsa?) on 360CS' treadwear is 60. You are lucky you've got two heat cycle and over 4K miles on those tires.

Cheers,

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

looks like you are having fun - I assume most of the break dust was in front?

8. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    One of the stradale owners I know in France was saying that when he first got the car (1st in Frane) that initially suffered 'chunking' and went through one set of tyres per trackday.

I spoke to the Ferrari dealer in France and they confirmed his story saying "its something Ferrari are looking into".

I met him at MC and the tyres were not suffering. I asked why and he said they have hardened/change the compound somewhat. Tyre wear is therefore longer with the later tyres.

9. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003

Difficult to tell, looks pretty even.

Tyre chunking has been a problem for me too.
    Will be interesting to see if the new compound helps.

Wazza