World Record Surf pics---------------------- | FerrariChat

World Record Surf pics----------------------

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tonyh, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  3. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Jaws is an insanely large wave on Maui, I'd have to be on crack to go anywhere near something like that. There are lots of people who get severely injured from it. At one point I read an article on it, explaining how many tons of water are in each wave on "calm" days...
    It's always huge like that... and I beleive they need jetski's or a boat to tow the surfers' out to the wave, since the shore is extremely unsafe.
    I'll link you to a picture, of a helicopter (used for taking the pics/vids) in reference to the waves!
    http://www.htmaui.com/event_pic/jaws/helisurf.jpg
    Those people really have excess skill... and lack something else :p
    CS

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Trivia: Waves used to be measured in refrigerators, as in "It was 4 'frigerators high, Bra."

Surprisingly, those ain't the biggest ever. Nominees for biggest this season, though. Eddie Aikau Memorial is generally regarded as the big-wave event. If they get big, it's on. If not, no contest. This article explains a bit, though they committed the Cardinal Sin of misspelling his name.

Been there, done that, though waves were 50+% size of this one - by far, biggest wave I ever rode.
    http://billabongxxl.com/upload/gar03L.jpg

Fun Factoid: As funny as it was to see a friend who thought he was Mr. Tough Guy get creamed - and spend the next hour looking absolutely sick, glad it wasn't worse. Sandy Beach's beach-break has broken as many body-surfer bodies as Newport Wedge.

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Wax,
    is that you in the pic?

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeah. That's it, that's the ticket. Yeahhhhhhh.

Haaaaaaahaaaahaaaaa

No way. Was on that wave when it was working at 50+% is all.

However, on many occasions I've had dreams where, by some stroke of good/bad luck, a giant-ass 100' wave comes through, I ride it out, the world goes nuts. Wake up, heart is pounding, planets are aligned, all is well in the Universe. Guess you could call it a "wet dream." Ewwwww.

Stopped surfing oh, 4 years ago after ear infection which doesn't like water for extended periods set in & won't go away. Culprits - either Malibu Surfrider Beach or Old Man's (both mild waves which afford multiple opps to do some old-school extended 5 & 10 toes-over moves) below Trestles when I did some longboarding at each locale on a Saturday & Sunday, respectively. Many miles apart, those two, but was the thing they'd do back in the late 50's - early 60's when gas was cheap & so were surfmobiles - so I "had" to do it as a personal rite of passage. Still glad I did it, though. Made me feel complete, though I'm content seeing huge, deadly waves for dreams.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Oh damn, thrilling dangerous **** makes me miss climbing. Are there any climbers here?

8. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Ok, you know, I drive the 348 on Mt roads and sometimes get to just shi of 150 mph on dark hiways... And you guys a fukcing nuts to get on those things!!!!!

DrS

9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Forgot to take my bravery tablets,makes me scared just looking at them and I just love the water.

10. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    CRAZY ! I'd rather drive an ENZO at 200 mph on I-4 (Florida highway)

11. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    #11 Omerta, Apr 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If I was tripping hard enough on shrooms I might boggie board one of those but otherwise I'd probally rather remove one of my thumbs.

13. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I was at Waimea during the winter of 2001 (or 2002) can't remember. But there were sets coming in at 30+ft. We actually thought about stepping into the water for a split second because we "thought it was small" from the beach. When we got down onto water level it was a completely different story. A friend of mine actually was out there when the waves weren't nearly as big, around 20ft at the time. He told me he was scared out of his mind then, I'm sure 30 or anything bigger would be a whole new story.

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    How about mavericks in the winter? Now those guys have even bigger balls, and they drop in!!!!!!

15. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    I was taking Hawaii measurements which is from the back. The face is twice that, so I think you mainlanders measure that don't ya? I only mention that because Waimea was 30ft when I was there, which meant a 60ft face. Either way a massive wave.

16. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Here is a picture I took a few months ago in manhattan beach. We had a really big swell come in and tanker reef in el porto was actually breaking.

You cant really tell by the pictures, but this wave is about 15+ feet id estimate (face)

17. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Here's a picture of the lifeguard on a jetski a few moments earlier with a way smaller wave breaking behind him. This wasnt even a set wave, but It kind of gives you an idea of the size.

18. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    o.k. last one for the manhattan beach residents

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Watch "Step into Liquid" Those kooks ride some unreal stuff!

Tow in has kind of changed the sport, IMO. Still fun though.

I ordered "Eddie would go" from Amazon the other day, not here yet!

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I remember what I think surfers dubbed "Big Wednesday" back in early 98... everyone skipped class to go to Waimea and watch the waves. I didn't, and still regret staying for class (with like 3-4 other people in the whole class, I wasn't doing well in it). Still got my only C in that class, and now regret not seeing the biggest waves recorded at Waimea. :-(

BTW, those guys are freaking insane. Even trying to boogie board in 4-5ft (8-10ft face) waves gives me the heebie geebies.

21. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    #21 ferrari_kid, May 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    now that you mention boogie boarding, this past winter Sandy Beach, East side of Oahu, had some huge waves. it's a really popular boogie boarding spot because of the shore break and you usually get waves from 2-4ft (back). tourists tend to make the mistake of thinking they're small and have been known to be seriously injured there, especially since it's close to shore and shallow. anyway, my friend had a couple of pics for me. i don't think she took any of them.

the first pic is a tow in at sandy beach. the guy isn't too far from shore in that picture so he has some serious cahones to pull that off.

the 2nd one with the water spout is blowhole. it's just a little down the road from Sandy beach. the lookout that everyone is standing at is about 20-30ft above the actual opening of the blowhole.

eddie would go...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login