Rossi tests 2003GA at Fiorano | FerrariChat

Rossi tests 2003GA at Fiorano

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by sjb509, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Valentino Rossi tested a 2003GA at Fiorano today. He was about 3 seconds off the lap record in his first F1 test. He's driven one round of the rally championship last year, but this was his first time (I think) in a F1 car.

If he ever gets bored with bikes he'll probably switch to cars of some type. One of the most talented racers alive, Italian, and he is only 25.

2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I would think that if he really does have the talent to run at the front in F1.... he would make the jump yesterday! There is SOOOOOOOOO much more money in F1 than in GP motorcycle racing. Not only in drivers contracts, but in endoresment deals.

It would be great to see him make the jump. The prospect of Rossi in a Ferrari sounds GREAT!

Terry

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    His name definitely has marquis value, but 3 seconds off a lap record isn't exactly "stop the presses" territory. Even though he races bikes, he's still a racer (it takes a lot more balls to go fast on a motorcycle than in a car), and one would expect him to be relatively quick from "Go!". No knock on Rossi it's just that today's F1 cars have shown time and again that the learning curve isn't what it used to be, and given another test or two, I'm sure he'd trim a couple seconds off his times, no problem.

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I read somewhere he makes $10M+ per year from Yamaha plus his other endorsements, so F1 might be a pay cut. He's also pretty tall, so that might hurt his chances a little also. Rossi is probably the only motorcycle racer today with the talent and youth that would allow him a legitimate chance at both championships like John Surtees.

Up until this year he also was vocally against tobacco advertising, and has basically no promotion responsibilities with his current cig sponsor other than the name on his bike. That might also hurt his chances if he would refuse to work with teams with tobacco money.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Money does not rule all of us guys ... real racers do not risk their lives, etc. JUST for money. They have a need to win which is far more important than money BS.

MS does not race for money and I bet neither does Rossi ...

Pete

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

As much as I wish he raced for Ducati, I applaud him for taking the anti-tobacco stance as he has done.

7. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
  8. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    You don't think that being only three seconds off of MS (six time world champion) lap record in your FIRST single seater test isn't impressive?!?

9. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    I read you loud and clear!!
    My dream team would be Rossi/Biaggi in Ducati bikes...
    Oh man.... :D

I'ld be more than pleased to see him racing for Ferrari, but I don't think it will come to be in a near future...
    Maybe in 2006 when Michael retires...

Also, Someone stated the fact that "if he had the talent he'ld switch over to F1 anytime 'cause of the money..."

That's, as someone else also stated just a bunch of BS.
    Seriously, what are the chances he has, NOWADAYS, of being F1 world champ?
    Worse than none...

Whereas in Moto GP he's close to becoming a myth.
    I mean, this is the guy that won everything with Honda in 500ccs, with Honda in MotoGP 4 stroke, and now, after a switch to Yamaha, he made a hell of a race against Biaggi.... in a Honda!! (Who, as a matter of fact, was racing for Yamaha and couldn't accomplish anything - mind you I'm a big fan of Mad Max) And this is becoming a promising year... and a promising challenge!

He'ld hardly get this much status and attention in F1, simply 'cause, today, he's just not good enough...

On a final note... GO FERRARI!!! That's the most important thing to me!

:D

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No.

Think about it: Anybody who lives in that scene and gets this chance has taken at least some kind of racing school in a single seater before. If not, you're a fool.

So first Andrea Bertolini gets to test the F1 car then Rossi. Can you imagine how Fisichella must feel by now? Heck even his team mate drove the red car for a year.

11. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    He is a talented rider.That was a good fight in Moto GP last weekend.Didn't Biaggi run within a couple seconds of the lap record as well?I don't think he got as close of hand though.

12. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Yesterday it was one day with being on the track of Fiorano bus Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello was at the wheel of Maserati MC12, one dreams already of such a crew in Mans the next year... why not!

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh my! Now we're talking! Imagine MS and RB in the Maser at Le Mans. Whoa! MS learned all his stuff in Group C cars, he'd be the right man for that job.

14. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    if i was the boss of lemans i would waiver all the fees for them if they would do it i think that would be a huge boost both for viewership and media attention, when ms does a charity cart thing its on the news that would be massive, how many drivers do they get?? id go ms, rb, rossi and a le mans vet.

hell id actualy buy cable to see that

15. ART360

ART360 Guest

There is more money for the riders in MotoGP than what the drivers make in F!. It isn't even close. Rossi makes in the 8 figure range, and at least 10 other riders make over 1 Million a year. And those estimates are conservative. I'm told that the F1 drivers had to bring money with them for the ride, with very, very few exceptions. Shu is probably the only driver (maybe Montoya also) that earns in the 8 figure range. I don't think there are 5, 6 guys making over 1m a year.

Art

16. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I believe Biaggi actually set the fastest lap, and set a new track record. They quickly separated from the rest of the riders and battled basically the whole race. They did seem to take a breather somewhat mid-race when it became obvious neither had a clear advantage to conserve tires for the end.

The other Yamaha riders were in positions 9, 10, & 11, I believe, something like 30+ seconds behind Rossi at the finish. It will be a long year for those guys. If he is able to retain the title this year his status in motorcycle racing history must put him in the top two or three of all-time.

Rossi's move this year would be analogous to Shumacher leaving Ferrari and driving a Jaguar or BAR (2003), cars that are not Minardi-slow but certainly not considered for the win. He was fastest in practice, set pole, and won the race. It was a historic accomplishment, IMO, probably the biggest win for Yamaha since Rainey last won the championship for them in '92.

It will be interesting what happens on faster tracks, the Yamaha doesn't have the power of Honda or Ducati. I do think he will have a tougher time at tracks like Assen. Then again, he won a Z4 last month by setting the fastest time in the combined test, despite "only" going 207 mph on the straight (the fastest Ducati was 216 mph).

17. riccajus

riccajus Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Justin Riccardi
    i think the best number to be on a ferrari nose cone rather than shumis #1 would be rossi's yellow #46. i am being honest when i say i get more enjoyment watching rossi race than schumacher. I love ferrari and schumacher but rossi is a character with so much talent. Could you imagine rossi doing one of his post race antics after winning the monza GP.

18. ART360

ART360 Guest

I bet the boys at HRC are ruing the day they told Rossi it was the bike instead of him. Their going to have to give Biaggi the A bike for the next race, and that will be interesting.

Art

19. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Pic of Michael "Schuminator" in the Maserati MC12.

20. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    If Rossi was 3 seconds off the ultimate lap record for fiorano, how far was he off the fastest lap set by an F2003 GA. I assume the lap record in the F2004 must by now be better than than achieved by the older car.

Does anyone thing that Schumacher could get within 3 seconds of a time set by Rossi on a Motogp bike? I don't think so

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Unlikely, but that is not the point. Schumacher isn't trying to become a motogp guy. And Rossi is probably not trying to become an F1 guy (anymore).

3 seconds is an eternity in F1. Especially on such a short track like Fiorano.

None of this is bad, if it is all done in good spirit. Having a fun day at the track.