Jeff Ippoliti survives plane crash | FerrariChat

Jeff Ippoliti survives plane crash

Discussion in 'Florida' started by kevfla, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Those of you that know Jeff and his brother Jim will be interested to know that Jeff is a lucky man! Jeff, former FCA Regional Director of the Empire State (N.Y.) Region moved to Celebration, Florida (outside of Kissimmee) a couple of years ago to set up a cellular phone retail chain.

This morning's Orlando Sentinel (4/11/2004) reports that Jeff experienced engine failure after takeoff from the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Saturday morning in his Cirrus SR22. Jeff's plane is equiped with an emergency parachute. After hearing an explosion, witnesses looked up and saw the 4-seat plane floating to the ground like a leaf. The plane was slightly damaged after falling into a wooded area in North Lauderdale. Jeff, fortunately, escaped any injury as trees cushioned the plane's impact. The FAA will investigate the engine failure.

Jeff is coordinating a FCA concours next month in downtown Celebration. See that thread for more info.

KevFla

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Oh My GOSH!!!!

Glad he is okay, I saw the plane wreck on the news this morning but did not make anything off it.

3. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I guess that means Ferraris at Disney will mean he will have adrink on the house :)

I can't get over it. Anotherone survived because of the parachute! Small investment when it saves your life!

4. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Wow, I was shocked to see this post and glad that Jeff is OK!!

5. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Cirrus designed the aircraft with a number of safety features built-in. The Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS) will lower the entire aircraft to the ground when all alternatives to land have been exhausted. The aerodynamically advanced Cirrus wing is specifically designed to avoid an accidental spin in inadvertent low altitude stalls. The TKS-based weeping wing ice protection system allows the pilot to escape from inadvertent icing conditions. Cirrus uses a composite main gear and a 3g-roll cage to absorb energy in the event of a hard landing. Four-point harness systems with inertia reels are combined with rugged 26g seats, and control yokes are positioned on the side to prevent serious injury.

6. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    WOW! I want them designing the safety features on my car!! hehe

Glad to see he survived! I too saw this report on the news and thought nothing of it.

7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    glad to hear he is O.K., must have been scary! maybe he should drive next time.

8. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

What Cirrus marketing doesn't tell you is that without the CAPS, they were not given the green light for FAA certification... kinda like a car manufacturer not being allowed to market without an extrordinary precaution for a defective concept.

Glad it turned out okay. :)

9. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    anyone know where the parachute is located on the plane? on the top or the rear? trying to imagine how it would get to the ground in reasonable shape.

10. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Caps is in no circumstance (that I know of) designed to lower the plane so as to minimize any damage. Every single case, except for one that I know of, in which CAPS was deployed resulted in significant destruction of the aircraft. These are not only mounted on Cirrus aircraft. Some also resulted in fatalities, as well.
    The CAPS deployment that resulted in no damage was due to an attempted deployment in the air that misfired. Subsequently, the pilot regained control of the aircraft and landed successfully, after which the CAPS deployed.

And I have no confirmation of that incident personally, as it would not have to be noticed to the FAA or NTSB - I've just heard of it second hand from a few IAs. I believe the CAPS is located topside.

11. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

#11 gabriel, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "The system is designed to be used as a last resort, when all other means of controlling the aircraft safely have been exhausted. Possible situations when it could be appropriate to use the CAPS include mid-air collision, control impairment, mechanical failure, pilot incapacitation or loss of orientation or fuel exhaustion over hostile terrain."

- Cirrus company press release
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

#12 gabriel, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    are they both pictures of Jeff's plane?

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Unbelievable- thank g-d he's okay..

15. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I was talking with a mechanic over at the former Micco factory hanger, and he stated that he didn't think that Cirrus HAD to install the parachute for FAA certification...but that if you went into a spin in one, you weren't coming out alive without it.

NTSB Identification: NYC02FA089.
    The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number DMS.
    14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
    Accident occurred Wednesday, April 24, 2002 in Parish, NY
    Probable Cause Approval Date: 5/1/03
    Aircraft: Cirrus SR-22, registration: N837CD
    Injuries: 2 Fatal.

The airplane was maneuvering about 5,000 feet above the ground when it entered a right, flat spin. It continued the spin to the ground, without deployment of the onboard parachute recovery system. Examination of the wreckage, and a subsequent examination of the engine revealed no mechanical anomalies. The two accident pilots purchased the airplane 6 days before the accident, and had separately received airplane-specific training. The accident flight was their first flight together. The pilot in command, and the pilot at the controls leading up to, and during the accident sequence could not be determined. The pilot's operating handbook stated that the only approved and demonstrated method for spin recovery was the deployment of the parachute recovery system.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilots' failure to maintain airspeed, which resulted in an inadvertent stall/spin. The continued spin to the ground was a result of the pilots' failure to deploy the onboard parachute recovery system, for undetermined reasons.

I've also found the NTSB record of the chute deployment failure that I wrote of earlier:

NTSB Identification: NYC02LA071. The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number DMS.
    14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
    Accident occurred Saturday, March 16, 2002 in Lexington, KY
    Probable Cause Approval Date: 4/17/03
    Aircraft: Cirrus Design Corp. SR-20, registration: N244CD
    Injuries: 2 Minor.
    The instrument rated pilot and passenger departed into instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) and intended to practice some instrument approaches. Shortly after takeoff, the pilot reported a turn coordinator failure. The turn coordinator indicated a left bank regardless of control inputs and the pilot became disoriented. The airplane was equipped with a Cirrus Airplane Parachute System (CAPS). The pilot stated he pulled the CAPS activation handle repeatedly; however, the cable did not extend and "nothing seemed to happen." The airplane broke out of the cloud layer, and the pilot performed an emergency landing to a field. Witnesses near the accident site reported that the CAPS parachute deployed after ground contact. Post accident testing of the wreckage did not reveal any pre-impact instrumentation, or autopilot failures. The CAPS system also functioned normally; however, it was noted that the pull forces to activate the CAPS parachute varied significantly.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's failure to maintain aircraft control. Factors in this accident were the undetermined failure of the turn coordinator, as reported by the pilot, and the instrument meteorological conditions.

16. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

No.

This always was an amusing story in it's way.

Back when they were flight testing the Cirrus for certification, the left aileron fell off the aircraft and the test pilot popped the CAPS.

This was also the first deployment of the system on a Cirrus!
    The test pilot was lightly injured.
    These are those pictures.

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Jeff, If you read this. I'm really glad you are OK.

18. SSpray

SSpray Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    CA, FL & TX, USA
    Full Name:
    R.M.R.
    Glad that turned out OK!
    Those small airplane crashes are never any fun!
    We put one down on PCH a few years ago.

19. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Wow, I think I met this guy at the Cavallino Classic... thank goodness for the parachute! Man... last resort or not, the chute is a great addition!
    I'm glad nothing drastic or tragic occurred!

Byron

20. jeff512tr

jeff512tr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    Celebration, FL
    Gabriel
    CAPS has been used only three times, including me. The first occurred in Texas in 2002, when an aileron failure happened after the plane had just been in for maintenance. The pilot was uninjured, and the plane is flying today. It did NOT result in "significant destrcution" to the plane. The next deployment was in the Canadian Rockies, just 36 hours before mine, where the pilot had reportedly encountered severe turbulence over rugged terrain at night. All 4 passengers were uninjured.
    In my instance, I had also just picked up the plane from maintenance. Failures occurred at 700' in IMC. I walked away completely uninjured, and again the plane suffered relatively minor damage. Most damage resulted from the trees. The insurance company is considering flying the plane from FL to NC to get repaired. Harldy "significant destruction."
    These are the only 3 uses of CAPS. I can tell you I am very glad I was flying a Cirrus, and the CAPS system is the main reason I selected this aircraft.

21. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Jeff: Glad you emerged unscathed! Hope all's well.

Ira

22. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Hi Jeff. Welcome to Ferrari Chat! :)

23. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Good to see you here Jeff.
    Good to be reading/hearing you in the first place. I guess you have another birthday now :)
    Change the Cingular stickers on your track rat and put Cirrus on there :) Only a few letters to be changed :)

24. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Jeff, Happy to see you are OK! Martin, the car has always had a Cirrus sticker on both sides.

25. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Jeff's car is so fast it should have a parachute as well :)