Shanghai get together | FerrariChat

Shanghai get together

Discussion in 'Asia' started by judge4re, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Okay, I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this town. Anyone want to get together to watch a race (the wife and I are partial to O'Malley's) or dinner sometime this month or next? Any of you guys from HK going to be in town soon?

Cheers,
    Erik

2. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Don't know exactly when I will be in town next time. Will give you a holler beforehand.

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Erik, A bunch of us (20+) from Seattle will be attending the Shanghai GP in Sept. and could all meet up then. I forget what hotel we're staying at, but will keep you posted.

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    fock shanghai, no wonder why my family left there 20 yrs ago. whole place is just BS.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Andrew:

If you want, I can arrange two 17 passenger vans for you to take you from the hotel to the track. That way you don't have to know too much Manderin.

Just give me a heads up a couple of months before the race.

Cheers,
    Erik

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Thanks Erik, but I'm pretty sure we have hotel to track transportation covered. Looking forward to meeting you. What are you doing over there?

7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    what's wrong with shanghai? i enjoyed my visit there last year. love the jin mao tower grand hyatt!!! awesome views.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Working as an ex-pat.

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The way things work is just so damn shady.
    Seriously, I don't see how ANY FOREIGNER(without a hook-up in Shanghai) can buy F1 tickets. Their websit is a down most of time, the ticket ordering system does not work, the creditcard process system does not take non-China creditcard... The whole experience is a big joke.

I got my tickets because I still have some family member back there, but I was not able to buy diamond section no matter what. What p1ss me off the most is, they can tell me straight forward that diamond tickets is not for sale to general public, I will be ok with that. but they keep lying, keep telling BS like they will release a small block every few days on website so just keeping checking. Checking something that would never exsit on a website that's down 85% of time and slow as hell the rest 15% of time?? WTF??

I went back there 5 days in last 3 years, place is nicer everytime, food is wonderful, people are cool, but this F1 thingy is just really irritating me.

Btw, when you are there for the event, make sure eat lots of crab, it will be in season :)

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Sound like fun for the event. But I think I will watch it @ Speed on my HDTV

11. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Agree with Stokpro. Any city is unique there are pluses and minuses. If you don't like it, just don't go. But I am sure the food is excellent. This is the thing I enjoy when I travel

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I just got an email yesterday. One last hospitality suite. Seats 10 people, around $26000 with all the fees.

13. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You mean like box seats? vip secition, whatever they call it?

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yep. A bit steep for me.

As for Shanghai being BS, the wife and I had dinner at Jean Gorges last night. Prince Andrew was there as well (but not having dinner with a lowly commoner like me). I guess you're right, the police don't close the street when I try and get in the back of my car...

For those in town, we'll be at O'Malleys on Sunday. Probably get there at 7:00 PM for the race. Look for the red bearded guy with the Ferrari of Houston polo shirt (or jacket if the weather is cooler).

Cheers.

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Eric
    Ride that Mag/Lev train! $6. 265mph. Cool article in todays NYT's.
    Best
    Jim

16. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What are some unique restaurants there? I left 20 years ago at age of 10, don't know what is "in" now days in Shanghai.
    I don't care for Jean George likes because we have those right here in NYC, I want to try things that I can not get anywhere else. I tried some great Chinese places(all serving crabs and sharkfin stuff) last Christmas time, but not top notch western places that's unique. Only went to M on the bund, which is just like the sister joint in HK, average food, great view though. Xingtiandi 88 is just good for drinks the most. Any suggestion for good food that's unique?

17. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They got that going to the track??
    I thought it only runs from/to the Pudong airport?

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Just to airport.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Jim's right, only to the airport. I can see it come into the station from my roof. Haven't ridden it yet, but I have a friend from NJ in town for the next two weeks and it is on the list of things to do.

As for restaurants, it depends what you want. The Hard Rock Cafe closed about 2 weeks ago for lack of business. As a foodie, I take that as a good sign.

For entertaining Western guests, my list is as follows:

Grand Hyatt (American Grill, Cucina, Cloud 9)
    M on the Bund
    3 on the Bund (I haven't tried all of them yet)
    Peace Hotel
    Paulaner
    Latina
    Paladio (Portman-Ritz)
    I can't remember the name of it, but the Italian one at the St. Regis

Now, if you want authentic Chinese, the list is endless. Any style is available. Also depends which side of the river you're on. Only offensive part to a Westerner is their habit of answering their cell phones any time, any where.

20. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hard rock cafe closed?? hahaha, is that the one right by Portman Ritz Carlton?? About damn time! I stayed at Ritz for all my previous visits, always passed by Hard Rock cafe(tony roman's on 2nd floor i think), place is dead, and they charge $12 USD I believe after 10pm for entry, what a joke.

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That's the one. Tony Roma's is still there (hey, I crave ribs every now and then). Malone's is around the corner if you want a burger.

After SARS, they stopped serving snake. Never was a big fan of having a live cobra brought to the table before they served it. You can get the three treasures at just about any of the decent Chinese restaurants.

For the uninitiated, the three treasures are shark fin soup, abalone, and bird's nest (robin vomit as my wife calls it, she won't touch the stuff).