550 Alarm dash light always on | FerrariChat

550 Alarm dash light always on

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by speedball, Apr 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Here's a new one for everybody. After reading my workshop manual .... I discovered that on my 2000 Maranello w/9k miles, the small LED in the center dash area near the gas gauge shouldn't stay on all the time (I had assumed this was normal) ...... It appears to work correctly when I arm the alarm system, at start-up, etc...... but when driving it's always on. The manual says it should turn off during normal operation .... and only stay lit as an indication that a door, hood, gas lid, or the trunk isn't closed properly. But the MFD "multi-function display" always says everything is "OK".... and I've checked to ensure that all doors, etc. are closed tightly and that these sensors are working properly...... I'd think the same sensor signals feed the "MFD" and the alarm system ........

Any ideas? Any one else have this problem?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you almost certainly have the "dead battery" problem. in the alarm unit there's a small siren coupled with a NiCd (if memory serves) battery that attaches to the main electrical system. the batteries eventually fail (that is, they stop recharging).

for the 550 the part has been redesigned to include some new grounding that purportedly will stop the problem (though i'm not holding my breath - just like the shock actuators have been redesigned not to spin anymore -yeah.).

you might check the archives - someone was hell-bent on ripping it apart and sourcing a replacement battery - probably a $10 solution rather than the $300-$400 part.

doody.

3. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Thanks Doody .......

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Shock actuators spinning??? Could you please elaborade, Dood? What's that all about? How do I check?

Thanks,

Dave

5. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Doody is correct, as usual. The alarms had a battery issue, and FNA released Service Campaign #98 to resolve this problem. The redesign was not a ground, but rather a lead attached directly to the main battery for the car, and now the battery supplies "backup" power for the alarm light. This is not just a 550 problem. Oh, and the sirens are about $350-

Dave-

Look under the hood at the shock towers. Where the top of the shock is located, there is a red actuator. The problem has been that the actuator spins and twist up the wire. Simple fix, unplug and get the wire straight, and plug back in. I have not heard of a fix to this, Doody..fill me in???

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    red - i was told by my factory tech that they redesigned the part at some point - maybe 2001 or 2002. i believe bobafett was told the same by his factory tech. but mine still spin.

i've never seen a TSB on this or anything else like that. the 550 parts manual data i have says the actuator is part number "158732" and makes no mention of a replacement part. although my parts data also doesn't reference the changed motor mounts either - maybe it's just outdated data.

doody.

7. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Look under the hood at the shock towers. Where the top of the shock is located, there is a red actuator. The problem has been that the actuator spins and twist up the wire. Simple fix, unplug and get the wire straight, and plug back in. I have not heard of a fix to this, Doody..fill me in???[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

I havent heard of this problem and havent checked mine yet. what happens if you dont unplug and restraighten the wire? Does it lead to a more serious problem?

Zak

8. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Zak--no serious problems that I know of, maybe Dan or Doody can chime in on this.

Doody-
    i have not seen a TSB or SA on this issue. As well, they have been using the same part number from the F50. So, if you see anything, pass it along!! :)

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    red - i'm not surprised it hasn't changed, i guess. the fact that it keeps spinning is surely "data".

azk - the only risk is that eventually it spins too much and one of the wires inside snaps. then you can pull it out and reconnect the wire and put it back, or you buy a new actuator. they're not free. one of mine had surgery, the other was replaced.

though ask bobafett about how to break them ;)

doody.

10. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Thanks for the info ..... do you know what the exact fix is.... I'd like to fix this myself....... if possible. Is the NiCad battery inside the alarm ecu box under the passenger seat or somewhere else on the car...... My workshop manual doesn't show the NiCad's location ... and offers little info on the alarm system.

11. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Scott
    ---email me at
    [email protected]

I will help you out.

R~

12. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Thanks to "Doody" who pointed me in the right direction and then "Redhead" who provided some additional info .... this problem has been fixed. The standard issue with these alarms is they lose their charge when the cars battery drains or is shut off and the NiCads in the siren eventually go bad resulting in a fault signal being sent to the alarm ECU which makes the LED stay on to alert you there's a problem ... this is what I expected to find ......

R & R 'd the alarm siren. There's two small round NiCad batteries inside that were never intented to be replaced. The siren is a 5 inch square sealed unit with no way to open it except carefully sawing along the factory seam to seperate the two factory glued pieces that form the unit. Inside is a small circuirt board, the siren itself and two NiCad batteries (# Z3A120, 3.6 volts in series for 7.2 volts, each battery is about 1" round by 1/2" high). I had little success finding OEM replacement batteries, but did get a few hits on the internet from overseas companies...... The problem in my case was fairly heavy corrision on the batteries and battery contacts. There appeared to have been some light moisture in the unit at some point (but not flooded) .... I cleaned the batteries with a wire brush and electrical contact cleaner, and checked to see if they were still good... one read 1 Volt, the other 3 Volts ... Figured they were history ....but put the unit back together and connected the siren to the car to see if it would take a charge..... the Alarm light issue immediately worked correctly ..... after a few hours, I removed the siren unit, and checked the batteries again ..... they were now fully charged, showing 4 Volts each. Glued the unit back together this time with black silicon and put it back in the car ..... the alarm light now works as it should. Total cost to repair ..... "Zero" .... and better still ..... Ferrari didn't get $ 350 out of me for a new siren. If the batteries had been bad ... I was going to keep looking for OEM ones... or in the worst case .... buy radio shack NiCad battery packs totaling 7.2 volts and hard wire them to the circuit board contacts .... everything would fit inside the unit ..... and there's ample room for non-OEM batteries. Better than throwing the unit away.......

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    great news sepedball! this would be a GREAT topic for a brief technical article (did you take pictures?) since it's the same problem on 355s. i assume 456s too, but couldn't t say for sure.

doody.

14. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Speedball-

Hve you tried BRUCE WELLINGTON for the batteries? Email him and see if he can help.

R

15. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Redhead ..... The original batteries ended up being OK .... just bad contacts, some corrosion. Don't know who Bruce Wellington is......

Doody ..... thought about taking pictures ... but didn't .....it's a pretty simple procedure. If anyone would like a detailed explaination..... I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks,