Need source for glass tube GBC fuses | FerrariChat

Need source for glass tube GBC fuses

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Verell, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've just finished calling PepBoys, AutoZone, & the foreign car parts places in Nashua, NH trying to locate the glass bodied GBC fuses.

All have the colored ceramic bodied ones, Only 1 said they occasionally get glass instead of the ceramic, but they can't control what their warehouse sends.

Also haven't had any luck searching the net. Even when I get hits on GBC & 'glass' the detailed description says ceramic.

One place told me that BUSS used to always be glass, but they've gone to the ceramic ones also. The BUSS catalog page for 'glass tube' fuses shows the GBC in ceramic & says nothing about glass.

Does anyone know of specific mfgs & p/ns for the glass fuses?

I need a set & have promised a customer in Shanghai that I'd send him a set.

2. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    I purchased mine at the local NAPA store.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, BUSS is pretty much it for fusing. Alternates might be Littlefuse?

The # for them is 1-800-TEC-FUSE

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Yeah, NAPA here too. They had a large assortment.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Called LittleFuse's tech support(1-800-TEC-FUSE). After a couple of forwardings I got to Electronics fuse eng(800-999-9445). They researched a bit (5 min. on hold & & said LittleFuse only supplies the ceramic bodied version.

Called BUSFUSE TEch support(636-527-3877). Was forwarded to an application engineer. He researched for a few minuites & came up with their engineering spec. He said that it's a roulette game! they ship glass, ceramic, or high temp plastic bodies all under the same part number. What style ships depends on what they buy on the world market & they're all mixed together in their inventory! There's no way to specificly order just the glass bodied fuse. He was surprised to discover that anyone cared as all 'meet the same fit & function specs. I explained about not wanting to blacken the fuse panel cover on a Ferrari. He apologised for not being able to offer a solution other than to call around in the hope of getting lucky!

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's interesting!

Of course it figures they wouldn't care from a performance standpoint, electrically, but it seems the quality would be different, from the enclosed vs. exposed fuse link. I guess it doesn't matter at 12V DC, but I've seen horrific explosions at higher voltage CAUSED by failure of the casing to hold the molten material as it cleared a fault causing phase to phase flash over.

Yet another manufacturer who really doesn't care about the Ferrari niche market, IMO.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You can get any kind of fuse you want, in any specification, from www.mcmaster.com

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Verell,
    My local auto parts place had them last summer. I bought a couple of boxes. Unfortunately, the local place went out of business over the winter, but I'll check my local NAPA for you.

Birdman

9. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Auto Zone has em O'Rilieys too

10. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Search no more...

I got Bussmann GBC glass fuses from here:

http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp?mscssid=EPLEWRK47Q218JBVCVJEXACAC1UVCJ1D&mbrid=4724&dept%5Fid=4663&sku=570710

SKU 570656, glass tube fuse assortment. You want the GBC ones for "german" cars, #KG-5.

Place is called Aubuchon Hardware, under the domain name doitbest.com. I found their service to be excellent, and their online shopping/checkout software was very mature. Shipped really fast.

Here's the details from my order:
    SKU Qty Description Cost
    -------------------------------------------------------
    570656 12 Fuse Assortments: For German $14.28
    -----------
    Subtotal: $14.28
    (USPS Priority Mail) Shipping: $5.50
    Tax: $0.00
    Total: $19.78

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    EXCEPT for type GBC (aka 6x25mm, 25x6mm, 31/37" fuses.)

Mike,
    BUSSMAN lists the type GBC fuses as 'glass tube', even tho they may be plastic or ceramic. So what you get from Aubuchon will be a roulette toss.

BTW, I'm looking for 4 boxes each of 8 & 16 amp fuses. Birdman may have a lead on some.

12. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Verrell,

I actually ordered these and was going to use them, before I decided to completely rebuilt the fusebox for $40 as posted in the archives...

I returned them, but I think I kept one pack, perhaps? I can check. If I have one, perhaps I could post a picture? Would that help?