Your Ferrari Bible | FerrariChat

Your Ferrari Bible

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TigerAce, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I started collecting some books on Ferrari. I have about 5 books right now. These books are mainly photo books.

Could you advice me for a good publication on Ferrari?

Yoshi Ace

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Pick up "Original Ferrari V8" and "Original Ferrari V12" by Keith Bluemel. While not always accurate (from what I've heard) together they make a great intro into the world of Ferrari up to the 70s on the 12 side and the early 90s on the 8

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    "Inside Ferrari" by Michael Dregni is a good one. It was released some time around 1990 and gives an inside look at the factory. There are many period photos from the old days as well as a large amount of photos from a visit in 1989 by the author. You get to see the complete production process from the old days up to '89. There is even a whole section dedicated to the F40 production team. Well worth a look if you can find a copy. I have a million Ferrari books at home. I'll check the collection out and see if there are any other "must haves". Good luck with your search! :)

-Augustine

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I have quite a few books on Ferrari, but these are must haves;
    Ferrari 1947-1997 The Official Book
    Ferrari by Lehbrink & Schlegelmilch
    Ferrari by Pininfarina
    Jeremy Clarkson on Ferrari
    F1errari bySchlegelmilch
    These are great books. If you can't find them here, try Amazon in the UK.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um, yeah, i've heard this, too and it's very disconcerting... Only after i was halfway through Bluemel's The Complete Ferrari (co-written by another author whose name escapes me at the moment), was i told that he's a history of inaccuracy... Although the book i have is apparently the updated version, it's still unnerving to think that, as a "beginner" enthusiast, i'm sponging all this information and some of it might not be accurate and, in some instances, completely wrong... i shudder at the mere thought of it all...

...but i still love me some Ferraris...!

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I have the Clarkson book as well. An interesting note: I remember reading an article by Jeremy Clarkson when his book came out. As most of you know, he is a brutally honest guy. He was so disappointed with the way it turned out (photography, errors, paper quality, etc.) that he actually recommended that nobody buy it. I commend him for his humility. Still, I find it to be a pretty good book. I just thought that that was unusual and refreshing. :)

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    two of my faves:

bluemel/pourret's Ferrari 250 GTO with all sorts of gory detail on each car. great stuff! (in a similar vein, if you're even vaguely interested in the original GT40, ronnie spain's book GT40 is a stellar trip)

cutrera's Ferrari 250 Grand Touring Cars that breaks down all the different 250s by S/N with background and whatnot.

doody.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Doody, is the Breadvan mentioned in that book...?

9. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Not to be elitist, but Ferrari in Camera from Ascari to Villeneuve (palawan press - http://www.palawan.co.uk/) is completely awesome. They only made 1000 copies at around 500 USD a copy.

I bought a copy (no 501!) when I lived in Japan.

If you're a fan of the history, there are fantastic period photos of all the racing Ferraris.

I can second a lot of the other books here the "Original ..." series are good if you're a spotter with lots of detail.

10. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    des - it mentions 2819, "Built as a standard competition [250 GT SWB] berlinetta, this car became the basis for the very distinctive and well known 'Breadvan' re-body by Giotta Bizzarini for Count Volpi's Scuderia Serenissima."

no pictures though - just as well as far as i'm concerned ;).

my g-d.... every time i look at the 250 GT Cabriolet Series II pictures i get stopped dead in my tracks. that hipline is just shy of filthy! pure sex. maybe i'm a psycho, but i'd take one of these over a california any day of the week and twice on sunday.

doody!

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Not a fan, huh...? i've heard a lot of mixed reviews of the car's looks; i'm all too wrapped up in it, though, to give an unbiased opinion...

Any pictures to share...? i'm a personal fan of filth... :)

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #12 F1racer, Nov 24, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. jr328gtb

jr328gtb Karting

May 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    i am curious about the original V8 comment...book not being accurate in some regards....any specifics??

thanks

14. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Hmmm, that is disconcerting. I just finished reading "The Complete Ferrari" which is by Roger Hicks & Keith Bluemel. Well it has nice pictures anyway...

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    McLaren, yeah, that's the one... with Roger Hicks... Nice book, but a few people said it was inaccurate with respects to some cars... i think, for the most part, though, that a majority of the information in there is okay... Just a little unnerving in any case that some of it's off or wrong totally and i have no idea...

16. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    That makes me feel a little better. The author actually stated there were almost certainly errors in the book, and the reader (if they owned the book) should feel free to correct the mistakes in the margin...

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, that's good... It'd be great if i actually knew the errors, though...! :)

18. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    For the real enthusiast, L'idea Ferrari. I do not know where you can get it other than a Ferrari dealer. I got a copy and it is wonderful. There are copies of original line drawings made in the 1940's of the original cars. Also hand drawn images of the frames and driver placement. Photos of original wooden mockups of the early cars. This is not a coffee table book of wonderful photos of the cars but more of a journal of the journey with Ferrari from inception to to the 1980's. Great for someone looking for early Ferrari design history.

19. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    One further comment on Ferrari in Camera and Coffee tables - if you get it make sure you get your coffee table re-inforced - it is the heaviest book I possess :) [You need two hands to hold it up!]

20. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    how about Pilota che gente (sp) by Enzo Ferrari
    Or Ferrari by Hans Tanner and Doug Nye

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Lewandowski's "288 GTO" book

22. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    The book 'Ferrari in de Formule 1 1950-2002' is also very good. It is in dutch but there are a lot of beautiful pics! There's a picture of it in the attachment.

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thank you all for advice!
    I checked few bookstores before, but couldn't find any Ferrari books. FoDallas has some magazines, but couldn't find a book I could read (there was a Italian book) I do have a few of book suggested already.
    BTW, I heard there's 512BBi Staradale. Is this right? Do any of you know what "Saradale" means?

Yoshi Ace

24. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Stradale means avenue or road. By the way if you were to go through just about any book, I'm sure you'll find some mistakes.

25. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    Yoshi another must have for any Ferrari library is "Ferrari The Sports and Gran Turismo Cars" by Warren Fitzgerald, Richard Merritt & Jonathan Thompson. First published in 1968 there have been nurmerous revised editions. Mine is a 4th edition which I got in 1979. This is one of the finest history's ever written on Ferrari and contains photos that many of us are quite familiar with today. I might also recommend "Ferrari" by Hans Tanner & Doug Nye and "The Ferrari Legend . . . The Road Cars" by Antoine Prunet. Good luck!