Testarossa Exposed! | FerrariChat

Testarossa Exposed!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by The Mad Hatter, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    #1 The Mad Hatter, Apr 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All,

Here are some pics from Enzo Joe (who, coincedentally, I am promoting for President ;-) of my engine out...can anyone share some insight into to condition the engine "appears" to be in? As a rookie, or Karting wanna-be, I am really not sure if the pictures are telling of anything other than the fact that I do have an engine in there ;-) Awesome! Thanks!!!

Cheers,
    Travis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Was there a leak between the #1 and #2 cylinders?

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Has the car ever had it's 30k service yet?

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It's a good sign that there isn't any sign of oil or liquids below the crank pulley for one thing.

5. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    All,

This is the major being done right now by Joe at Boston Sportscar. I wasn't sure if it looked good or bad from the pics in terms of a dirty or clean engine. Part of the service with Joe at BSC is to clean and detail both the engine and the engine compartment...

Cheers,
    Travis

6. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    I will certainly ask Joe as I too noticed the discoloration of that area on the picture. Maybe Joe just spilled his coffee on it ;-) this morning...can't wait to have the Tubi exhaust hooked up to that monster either!!!

Cheers,
    Travis

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I must comment on Smiles comment....#1 & #2 cylinders are not shown in the pics as they are on the passenger's side of the engine. But I assume you mean the dark region on the driver's side, between the forward two cylinders? This is common on TRs. The famous TR air intake "strakes" on the sides of the body channel air down the sides of the car through the radiators and oil cooler. This air flow is assisted by the cooling fans which pull the air through. But that air has to go someplace, and if you look at a TR you'll see that the first two cylinders on BOTH SIDES of the motor are in the line of fire. So all the dirt and road debris that gets sucked into the TR air intake system gets shot right at the motor in this location. That's why they always appear dirty like in the pics.

Other than this, everything looks like a well-driven and enjoyed Testarossa engine. Spasso's comment is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON in that any oil or coolant at the front of the motor is not good. Ask me how I know this? I've had to pull my TR's motor for a second time in 6 months to fix the crankshaft front main seal, and rebuild the water pump. Opinions differ on water pump rebuilding. Many say if no leaks then leave it alone. But if a leak starts shortly after a major service, then the motor has to come out again. So it's a catch-22 in my view. I hope all goes well with your service.

8. GoIn2Shock

GoIn2Shock Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    wow awesome

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So Jeff,
    Do you have yours back together yet? I found it heart breaking when I heard that you had to pull yours AGAIN!

After THAT little escapade I would be looking at building an engine test stand! Ahhhh 20/20 hind site etc......

10. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Jeff,

Awesome! Thanks for the insight...perfect! I will keep my eyes peeled for all of that once she is all done!

Cheers,
    Travis