Dino 246GT Heat-Defrost-A/C Controls | FerrariChat

Dino 246GT Heat-Defrost-A/C Controls

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dm_n_stuff, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ok. I'm new to the world of Dinos. My 1972 US spec car has A/C and all the regular heat controls. I know it's charged, and working, I can hear the compressor kick in when I turn it on, but, where's the cold air going?

And, how do I use the three sliding knobs on the dash to direct the air, or at least turn off the blast of hot air I'm getting now? I know the middle one controls temperature, but what do the ones on the left and right do?

And yes, I looked in the manual, and can't find a thing about the a/c.

Any and all advice from seasoned Dino folks would be appreciated.

2. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    I believe that the one on the left controls the left vents, and the one on the right controls the right vents. The positions determine whether the air blows out the upper defrost or the lower vents under the dash. Since my Dino doesn't have A/C I don't know how it works.

Russell

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Have you verified the gas charge?The charge might be enough to make the L/P switch but not enough to do any refrigerating.If you dont have gauges to test the charge turn air cond on and feel (if acessable) the suction line coming out of the compressor which is the bigger of the two pipes.If this is cold or sweating (depending on ambient teps&humidity)then your charge should be ok.Also if sight glass on filter/drier is clear then this is also a good indication.I hope this helps as I dont have a 246(only wish,maybe next Fcar) but have qualified a/c experience.If you do have access to gauges then suction(low)pressure should be about 31psi(210kpa)

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Charge is good. Just rebuilt at Algar, and the mechanic says it blows cold. Guess I should have gotten some instruction from him at the time.

I suspect that the heater valve is either stuck partially open, rusted open, or has enough corrosion to allow a significant portion of hot water into the system.

I'm going to investigate this tonight.

Any suggestions here would be helpful, too.

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Had the same problem on the gt4.Pulled it off,pulled it apart as much as possible and cleaned seal in valve as 30 years of water+mud had kept it from sealing.Another thing you should verify is if the heat/cool lever cable is adjusted correctly so that it shuts the valve completely in the closed position.I found that my cable was bending and not closing valve off completely.I then adjusted the the cable support bracket so that it did the job.But to tell you the truth ive never needed to put in on heating because after about 15 minutes of driving the car heats itself up internally even in the middle of winter.Although I must add that here down-under winter doesnt get too much below 14degrees celcius(57degrees fahrenheit).