Anybody use these wheel dollies? | FerrariChat

Anybody use these wheel dollies?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

2. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    I use Car Skates $130 per set of 4, but you have to jack up the car to place them under the tires. Their web site is www.carskates.com . I have two sets and they work great to move cars arounds the shop.

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Northern Tool carries wheel dollies (the kind Bruce describes) for $49 a set. They sell a heavy-duty SUV set for $99. Might be worth a look?

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Thanks, I'll check them out! I thought $600 from Griot's sounded steep.

-Daniel

5. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I appears the ones from Griots don't require using a seperate jack to lift the car, then put dollies underneath..............they are much more expensive, but I wonder if their conveniance is worth it................

6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

I have four of the Griot's jacks. I consider their conveneince worth the extra cost. I can move the car from the back of the garage, jack it down, and drive it out in less than 3 minutes. In my garage, it might take me 3 minutes to find the regular jack to use with the cheaper dollies...

7. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    What do you need dollies for anyway? If you can get it out on dollies can't you just back it out of the garage. Maybe I am missing something.

8. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    FYI....Northern Tool also sells GoJak (self-lifting) wheel dollies for $159.00 - so about the same price as Griot's for the set. Sometimes they have a sale and you can get them slightly cheaper.

9. djo715

djo715 Rookie

Feb 8, 2004
    I've used the GoJacks and are pretty convinced they are the same set Griots offers for slightly more... There's a set being sold here:
    http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/gocarjast.html (5K lb version for $250/pair and 6K lb version for ~$350.

(It's how I park 3 cars in my 2 car garage... they work pretty well.)

Cheers,
    -Darryl

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Darryl - You're my hero!!! That's exactly what I need! If I may ask, which set did you purchase? I need to shift a 348, and BMW 525. Both cars weigh less than 4000lbs; the BMW has 16" wheels. I assume the smaller size would work, eh?

Why do I need the dollies? I park 3 cars in a 2-car garage. The Ferrari is in the middle, and I basically need to slide it sideways to make it fit. Yes, through about 150 shifts between Reverse and First I'm able to make everything work, but it's a total PITA.

I'll take a picture sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

AGAIN, THANK YOU DARRYL!

-Daniel

11. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    How hard is it to move the car once jacked up, I understand your lifting one wheel, then pulling, pushing and steering?

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Huh? All four wheels are jacked onto their own dolly. I assume (and hope!) it's easy to jack the car, then push sideways into place.

13. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    OK I see, you can get 4 to do that, or one to swivel the car, two you can do some steering with.

14. DiesIrae

DiesIrae Karting

Nov 27, 2001
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #14 DiesIrae, Apr 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GoJaks are awesome! (http://gojaks.com) I've been using them for a few years and its quite easy to jack up a car and push it into driving or storage position in 5 minutes without needing other jacks (or other's assistance for that matter). I have the 1250 lbs - 9" wide set, and they work great for the 308. However, they're not quite wide enough to handle the TR's wheels comfortably. For wider tires I'd definitely recommend you spend a little more and get the 1500 lbs - 13" wide model instead. I've seen them for sale at variety of websites.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login