360M sport mode | FerrariChat

360M sport mode

Discussion in '360/430' started by pwongd, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    I just put my 360M through a trackday yesterday. I drove the first few laps with regular setting and was very disappointed with the result. Then I tried sport mode which is supposed to give a different fuel mix (if I didn't understand it wrong), faster gear change through the F1, and stiffer suspension setting. The car transformed into another car completely different. The handling around the corner was big time different than from when I used the regular setting. F1 transmission with sport mode worked like a charm. The stiffer suspension allowed to car to be thrown into each corner with more confident. All in all, from now on I will drive it with sport mode.

2. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    I don't think I have ever driven my 360 with the sport mode turned off since I bought the car. I see no reason to drive a sports car in non-sports mode!! :D

3. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Same here. Sport mode is always on.

Ernesto

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    hmm....I actually forgot we have sport mode in the 360 modena. i will turn it on next time i drive!

5. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In the standard shift car, what all is changed in Sport Mode? Are the engine electronics actully modified as well as the suspension setting?

6. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Unless rain is tipping down (not uncommon here in UK) the sport mode on my 360 is always on.

7. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Are you sure the sport mode has something to do with the "fuel mix"????

8. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    In the 6-speed stick, sport firms up the dampers and increases the tolerance of the ASR, its possible to light up the tires and slide a bit in Sport, but not in normal mode. In ASR-Off mode, its possible to melt the tires :)

9. ntingle

ntingle Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick Tingle
    Doesn't Sport Mode also enable the rev. matching (throttle blipping) on F1 downshifts?

10. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    sport mode has nothing to do with the fuel mix

11. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Firms up the suspension, quickens the shift (F1) and reduces ASR by 70% is what I have heard from the main dealers.

12. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Thought so-thanks John W.

13. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i've put a total of 20,000 miles on three 360F1 modenas all in sport mode. i tried "normal" mode for a few minutes once or twice, but it was not nearly as "snappy" as sport mode. i've also NEVER turned on the radio :)

14. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I only use normal mode when the pavement's really rough.

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    All the sport mode does on my 355 is light up on the dash. I don't feel any difference.

16. ddd910

ddd910 Rookie

Apr 4, 2002
    360's suspensions are electronically controlled?? just like mercedes's airmatic suspension?

17. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    My mistake on fuel mix. I thought I read it somewhere before. Apparently that was a fault statement, or I have a faulty brain. Anyway, from now on I'll drive it with sport mode only. Thanks for your input guys.

18. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Actually, I did turn off the sport mode once in my car. It was when I let a friend drive the car. I figured I wanted the ASR in full effect for them. The moment they break something loose I want it caught quickly.

-- Michael

19. ddd910

ddd910 Rookie

Apr 4, 2002
    360's suspensions are electronically controlled?? just like mercedes's airmatic suspension?

20. phil30

phil30 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Somewhere I belong
    Full Name:
    Phil Tan
    Downswifting in F1 Sports mode is a phenomenal experience, hear the F1 blip for you, it is fantastic! In sports mode, it works on a double clutch as well.

21. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Ok, the $64,000 question. Is sport mode harder on the clutch, what say you.

Rob

22. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I have been told that the use of the sport mode maybe one reason of clutch wear problems with F1’s

I have not been able to verify this – the gearbox performs the shift in three phases – “drive reduction”, “no drive”, and “torque return”

- “Drive reduction” – torque is reduced according to a time profile – the quicker the more performance is requested - the only phase that is influenced (i.e. shortened) by the sport mode

- “No drive” – engine has to reach a specific rpm speed (lower/higher)

- “Torque return” – torque returns according to a specific profile depending on the requested performance

One would assume that if the clutch is opened quicker that is would be “worked” less hard – on the other side opening it fast gives the engine less time to reduce torque

As Rob I would be interested in a good theory

23. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I think the trade-off is between fastest and smoothest.

Now, think of your six-speed... what do you do if you are trying to be silky smooth... you take up the mis-syncing the RPMs with a lot of clutch slippage. The F1 would do the same. HOWEVER, unlike the human operator, the F1 can sync the engine with the wheels much more perfectly. Thus, there shouldn't be much difference between the two in wear... but, if I were to bet, I'd bet sport mode would have less wear, not more.

You said you wanted a *theory*.

Brian

24. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I buy what you describe – still I would argue that if there is less time to sync engine/wheels because of a faster shift that the rotational energy (delta) has to go somewhere

25. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Let's think about it in those terms... the F1 software misses the sync by some amount... the energy in that delta in the rotational speed has to go somewhere... but where?

1) With a clutch released slowly to be smooth, that energy is absorbed as friction/heat in the clutch.

2) With a clutch released quickly to be fast, that energy is absorbed jerking the car forward and engine back, or vice-versa.

So, the former puts more wear on the clutch; but the latter would put stronger forces on the clutch, if the clutch was in danger of breaking. But if the clutch doesn't break, those forces are transferred to the engine and to the car and occupants... they end up absorbing the energy.

Sticking to the theory... ;)