Swiss drivers: natel-fute, radar warning service | FerrariChat

Swiss drivers: natel-fute, radar warning service

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ze_shark, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I just signed up a subscription to natel-fute.ch.
    After a two week trial period, I've been stunned about the amount of radars and police controls they announce, both on (swiss) highways and country roads. The service is also decently customizable, either from the web or from your phone (toll free call) so that you can change your filters depending on the region you're in. You can even get F1 qualifying and race results or other news.
    Filters are to be set carefully otherwise you receive loads of SMS's, but with the right settings, it's pretty useful.

20.-/month + TVA/MWST, not the end of the world considering the fines. If you avoid 1 radar a year, the thing is paid for.

If someone is interested in a trial, allow me to refer you, referal earns you free subscription months, so does reporting a radar or police control.

Btw, I am stunned by the number of general police checks and radars in welshland. if this is normal for the season, then I've been damn lucky.

2. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    you bet!

but that sounds quite interesting, i'll have a look at it as soon as i reregister my car!

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Very interesting!
    I wish we would have something like this in Germany too:(

4. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    i'm sure this kind of service is also available in germany!

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    No, sadly not Trevi:(
    The only service I know about, is the letter: There WAS and you HAVE been driven too fast ON....AT.....please wire to.....€uro`s

6. bjc138

bjc138 Karting

Sep 2, 2002
    DC
    Full Name:
    brian
    Thanks JC. I just registered for the 10 day trial. If I subscribe I'll be sure to refer you. Now all I need is for the site to be in english!! -- Brian

7. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi,

have been using the 'Radar Info Zentrale Pager' for the last 4 years and have to say it is also quite useful...Suppose they are based on the same principle, e.i. advise from other drivers which call a toll free number to report a speed trap. Once the info rcvd then it is put on the system (natel or pager) and apper on the pager or natel display. Must say have been 'saved' couple of times already. I think the pager service is a bit cheaper (abt 90 sfr/year) but have to carry the pager from one car to the other if you have more than one car...natel is always with you....

rgds
    Plip

8. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    Have you actually checked whether all these 'alerts' are real? It could make marketing sense to post false alerts (on top of the real ones of course) to give the impression that the service is more usefull than it actually is.

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    No I haven't, it's quite difficult to, actually.
    The risk (if it is a risk) of false alarms exists, as one of (but not the only) sources of info is subscribers who see a radar and call. There is even an incentive to report phony radars since you get a subscription bonus.
    Difficult to verify as well their claim that they have 30'000 subscribers, which could be a sign of credibility and robustness, the more licensees, the more chances to see a radar reported.

I don't think that natel futé should be seen as an anti-radar insurrance, there's none, but if it saves you from one in a year, your subscription is paid for.

Note that trafic info such as jams and accidents is very valuable as well, especially for people like me who commute on accident prone highways such as Lausanne and around.

10. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    The risk is to have too many alarms and not really take care anymore (especially if you are not sure they are real)!

As for the traffic info you can also get it on navigation systems. It works quite well and you see it on the map too.

I think the only way to make up my mind is to try it out. Can you refer me for a free 10 day trial?

11. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    Got a message about a radar between Grandvaux and Savigny this morning at 9. When I passed by that road around 10.15 I could not find it BUT while i was driving I got a message about a radar on Route de la conversion, Lutry which i was able to get to around 10.45. I can confirm there was a blue Scenic with a radar and a uniformed (but no hat) policeman. He was packing and he left as I passed by.

Therefore we can conclude that Natel Fute does give credible info but it is very time sensitive. The Grandvaux radar ('dark car') could have been the same but changed place. They could be staying only an hour or so at each location (which makes sense to beat natel fute)

Thoughts?

12. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Indeed, radar (as other controls) are very volatile, they tend to stay at the same location for one hour only. Not too sure why they are doing this, I think they'd just achieve the same goals by staying where they are, unless they are getting bored by the scenery of want to defeat radio and SMS services ...

So, indeed, 1 hour old info is 1 hour old. The interesting part is that you get to learn in which area they are, and they don't prowl too far from where they are.
    Bulletproof ? Probably not. Useful ? Yes, if only to be reminded that there are MANY controls, and that, although mobile, they always tend to be in the same locations, both on highways and roads.
    City warnings are of lower value to me because I think that the 50km/h limit is the one never to be exceeded.

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Yes, and thats why some gents in Europe are using Valentine 1!
    http://www.valentine1.com/
    No reason now to discuss the rules & laws.....it works in most european countries....and its built in the mirror (replacement mirror).
    Just my thoughts & 0,02 cents.

14. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    ze_Shark: I agree it is useful, that is why I'll extend my subscription. As for the city limits, I also stick to them. You don't want to kill a kid following a ball!
    Highway/Country road limits are much more debatable though...

BTW I followed him for a couple hundred meters and he was driving (very slowly, well below limit) towards the route du lac and turned towards Montreux. [BTW he was stoped at a 'predictable' spot. Going down towards Lutry on the left where there is small 'rest' area, after the left hand turn where there is a preselection into the industrial zone.]

BTW2 have you noticed the new radar on the highway at the Crissier echangeur (coming from Geneva)? Have you also noticed that the old radar (direction Geneve) has been turned into a 'frontal' one (more viscious, no time to react).

BTW3 have you ever heard of speed controls INSIDE highway tunnels? [I am sure you understand why I am asking ;-))))]

Wolfgang: not convinced of radar detectors. Too late for laser and better not get caught with one in Switzerland!!!!

15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Yes, I know for sure its forbitten and a big problem all over Europe!!!!!!
    Just thought.....and there are so many things forbitten.....you know, we have had this thread in the past....f.e. Tubi Style, Test pipes...a.s.o....its also forbitten...but.....mhmmm just my 0,02 cents.

16. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Hi Ddemet,

For the time being, as far as I know there is no fix radar in the (highway) tunnels in Geneva "canton". In the other cantons, I can't say.

Just in case you don't know yet, there is a few fix radar in the near France motorway tunnels (ie Grenoble, A42 toward Nantua, Chamonix, ...).

Have you ever seen a speed control in the tunnel? Just curious because of the smiley you put.

By the way, I say a dark (back or blue) 360 last Friday in the Geneva highway tunnel around ... 23h30. Was it you? The sound was great!

Bye for now,
    Christophe.

PS: On the motorway, do they control you speed & photography you in front with the mobile control unit? Just in case ...

17. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    Indeed I have not seen fixed controls in any highway tunnel, only outside them (on the Geneva autoroute de contournement). I once saw a mobile control inside the semiautoroute tunnel at Martigny (going towards GdStBernard), I guess they could put some in the emergency stop spaces.

The smiley was referring to the fact that IMHO the best part of owning a 360 is the sound of the engine in tunnels! Thus my fears about speed checks IN tunnels.

Last Friday, it wasn't me, car has been in London for a few weeks. Will be driving back down in a couple of weeks. I might post some pics of VD-car in Rosbifland but nothing as beautiful as the Leman ;-)

I've noticed most new fixed highway radars are frontal.

18. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Hi ddemet,

That's what I thought! I'm also taking benefit of the tunnel to enjoy the music!! My wife don't appreciate that much when I'm speeding in the tunnels, but who care?

By the way, I say a mobile speed control in the Geneva "Tunnel de Vernier" (on the motorway) only once. It was ... a long long time ago.

See you soon on FerrariChat.

Bye,
    Christophe.

19. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    V8 Ferraris were made for tunnels...

Where was the radar? On a emergency stop space?

20. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi everybody,

For your info, there is a fix radar in the last tunnel before Yverdon when you come on the highway from Payerne !

There is also a new fix radar which take pictures from behind on the A12 in the descent after Châtel-St-Denis. :(

Take care,

David

21. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Hi Ddemet,

You're right. It was located at one of the emergency exit.

Christophe.

22. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    Is that in the new troncon? I guess they'll probably put a radar in Glion too once the works are done.

As for the tobogan, it is a predictable place! The way up from Vevey is much more fun to drive though!

@yfc: we are not even safe in the tunnels where it is the most fun! but at least we know the only place where they can be.

23. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Yes, it's the new higway !

One more advice, don't accelerate after the fix radar if it's not charged because they often place a mobile radar right after the tunnel exit (200m further from the fix radar). Really vicious !

Yes, almost everybody know about the mobil radar which is often in the 80 and 60 zone but the new fix radar is on the right side in the descent just before the long right turn which precedes the 80 zone.

I ablolutely agree !!!!! ;) :D

24. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    They have similar services in the UK. Hedgeman...have you investigated and/or purchased?

Cheers, MARK

25. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)