The new Queen sails into harbor | FerrariChat

The new Queen sails into harbor

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lotustt, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Simply amazing!

What is the rate to get on that monster?

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Wow, looks like it barley cleared that bridge. Amazing....

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If Shaq or someone was on top of that stack at the time he probally couldve jumped up and slapped the bridge if it really was only 12ft above it.

4. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    This is no garage Queen(pun intended). Sorry I couldn't resist due to the other thread.

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Great shots. Thank you. I saw it moored the last couple days at the pier on my drive to the office. And once i get to the office, many blocks away in Time Sq., the thing still looks huge.
    As to price, i don't think its too bad in stowage, but if you want the serious suite, its pretty dear, eg. here is one leg of a transatlantic run (per person):

Duplex $27,249
    Q2 Duplex Apartment $24,749
    Q3 Royal Suites $15,999
    Q4 Penthouse $12,249
    Q5 Suites $8,499
    Q6 Suites $7,249
    P1 Junior Suites $5,619
    P2 Junior Suites $4,999
    B1 Deluxe Balcony $3,999
    B2 Deluxe Balcony $3,689
    B3 Deluxe Balcony (Obst) $3,499
    B4 Premium Balcony $3,369
    B5 Premium Balcony $3,249
    B6 Premium Balcony $3,119
    B7 Premium Balcony $2,999
    C1 Standard Ocean View $2,939
    C2 Standard Ocean View $2,809
    C3 Standard Ocean View $2,689
    C4 Standard Ocean View $2,499
    D1 Atrium $2,369
    D2 Standard Inside $2,249
    D3 Standard Inside $2,119
    D4 Standard Inside $1,999
    D5 Standard Inside $1,869
    D6 Standard Inside $1,619
    TF 3rd/4th Person $939
    Gratuities Charged

6. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I understand the QM2 has quite a long waiting list.

7. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

It really is that close to the bridge and the ship really is that tall! No joke and no room for error thats for sure. Quite amazing to see!

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats incredible!

9. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Incredible boat - where is it journeying too?

10. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Guy I work with got a room on the maiden voyage. Hopefully I'll run into him sometime soon and find out how it was. I know he paid roughly $15k for his room and has been waiting a pretty long time for it. Looks like a beaut...

-R

11. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    The QM2 is taking over for the QE2 and is in NY right now and will be doing trans atlantic cruises from Southampton, England to NY and back.

12. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Wow! Those are very cool pics, and those prices are actually somewhat lower than I had anticipated.

This brings up a question I wanted to ask,

How many here have been on a Cruise ship vacation? Not quite the QE2 experience but Ive been on several trips to Roatan and Cancun, Jamaica etc. and really enjoyed it, except for some of the crazy hick type people that go. In a few years, maybe 2 I am thinking of a Cruise up to Alaska. My family usually goes on Royal Carribean or Norwegian (sp?) cruise lines, Carnival ships look fun but are very ugly and overdone.
    Its not very pricey and its only a week long so theres little "vacation burn out" or anything like that, anyone ever done it?

13. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  14. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Goody, same line that ran the Titanic, more or less... Wonder if this LARGE critter will stay afloat.

15. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wasn't cunard a rival of the white star line?Back in titanic times anyway.

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I am amazed that it's not top heavy.....visually it appears so.....I am sure the designers have it figured it out though.

Nice ship and thanks for the pics.....and thanks for posting those prices Bill.....FWIW.....I just did a USD-CAD conversion on the duplex fare posted, and a one way passage for me and the wife would cost more than our apartment in Rio does, or pay for half of a condo in Calgary.

Wonder what they'd pay for lunch.....

Anyone here remember seeing photos when the tugboat spray used to be higher than the ships were ?

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    In looking thru the voyage calendar, it seems like the QM2 is confined to short runs, in addition to the transatlantic run. Some of the voyages -108 days out, essentially around the world--on the QE2 are priced at over 340k dollars per person. My wife is easily seasick, so reluctant. I would like to do it, though, as long as its a throwback to the grand old tradition, and not one of those Vegas style, all you can eat, drink and gamble fests, which would probably be a bore.

Has anybody done the ships thru Alaska?

18. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

"the grand old style"

It'd also be a good reason to buy a few new tux's......"dinner at eight ?... why tut tut old chap !!" I agree though......the "Carnaval cruise theme" would be too much.

Living where I do the Alaskan cruises are cheap and we plan to do one next year.

19. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    Cunard was a competitor of White Star at the turn of the last century. Cunard eventually bought out White Star, and as part of the deal had to honor legal obligations related to Titanic. It was on Discovery channel last year.

With such a beautiful ship sitting in the foreground, does anybody else notice the one shot of the New York skyline where the World Trade Center once stood?
    Still hard to believe it's gone...

20. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Just damn!!!

So nice so nice!!!!

How long is the Trans Atlantic trip anyway??

DrS

21. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    actually the ship would have been 12 feet from the bridge in high tide... the ship passed under it durring low tide...

22. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

Yes very much so there is a major void in that one picture. I noticed it right away, very sad still.

And also i just read that yes like i said it passed under the bridge during low tide but it also stated there was still less than 20ft separating the two! So that is still very close and very close even at low tide! What a ship and does look to be in the vein of the grand style of old.

23. CalGTS

CalGTS Karting

Jan 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Leigh
    i saw her leave the other week with the Aurora From Southampton

think it's a bit of a lump compaired to the QM

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your right about that one. These new "ships" don't have the gracefulness of the older beauties that once crusied the oceans. That thing looks like it's about to fall over, I can't imagine what would happen to that thing in a heavy storm.