Audible tone in 360 | FerrariChat

Audible tone in 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by PCH, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I recently puchased a 360 and today when I was pulling into the garage each time I stepped on the accelerator in 1st gear I heard an audible beep tone. Would appreciate any comments as to what this might be, Thank you!

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I have never heard such a beep.

I hope it's not the imminent-clutch-failure annunciator...

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    did you have the door completely closed? - can't completely remember what the logic is but there is some wild behavior if the door is not closed and you do not press the brake or accelerator and a gear is engaged, i.e. if you go from brake to accelerator to move forward it might beep (it also is supposed to go into neutral but that might take some time) - do you remember if the door open warning light was flashing?

4. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    This sounds like the clutch heat warning. Try to launch the car more gently. Is there any warning light flashing on the dash? If so I'll take it to service.

AW

5. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    No warning lights were flashing and door was completely closed. When parking in the garage, (a bit tight) yes, I tend to go from brake to accelerator and or short blips on the accelerator to inch forward.

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i bet it's the clutch heat warning tone. it's annoying, but harmless. i've owned three 360's and only one of them tended to sound this clutch overheating tone for no apparent reason. there is probably a sensor that is out bad and should be replaced. i bet it's an easy thing to resolve.

7. serlen

serlen Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Sunny Isles Beach,FL
    Its a clutch overheating warning beep. Had the same problem with my 2001 360 F1 for quite a while with no apparent reason mainly in stop and go traffic it did it in 1st and reverse gear.To make the long story short and after more than a few times of reseting the ECU it was determined that it was not the clutch sensor but probably the old type thrust bearing,relaced the whole thing plus a new clutch at 7500 miles but the problem continued.The begining of this week with the same issue took the car again to Shelton Ferrari in Fort Lauderdale where Christian (My most trusted Ferrari mechanic) hooked up the computer which finally showed a faulty error in the ECU (This old type of ECU had a fixed PIS that can not be adjusted) since the car went out of warranty starting this year had to pay $1.200.00 for a new type ECU with adjustable PIS (set it up at 4.3) and belive me when I say that the difference is from earth to heaven,it was worth it.No more beeps and the best thottle response ever even better than when the car was new.Again Great job from the guys at Shelton. PCH I hope this will help to solve your problem too.

8. mlabiche

mlabiche Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Aroud Geneva Lake - AKA : Heaven
    Full Name:
    Marin Labiche
    This is a very interessting. Does this means that the ealier F1 360 clutch car be updated by a "simple" ECU replacement... And get a "very good" F1 system instead of a junk one ?... Does this confirm also that the there was a vast improuvement on this topic between 1999 and today ?

Cheers & Enjoy

9. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Now I'm even more confused. At my last service, (just fluids) I believe my mechanic told me the ONLY difference in the early cars, ('99-01) as far as electronics was not the ECU but the TCU or Transmission Control Unit. This unit allows easier adjustments, (can be done when the motor is hot) and will make the clutch/accelerator more compatable resulting in better shifts.

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    ("This old type of ECU had a fixed PIS that can not be adjusted") Are you sure about this??

11. serlen

serlen Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Sunny Isles Beach,FL
    PCH: Sorry my mistake "Lapsus Linguae" Not ECU but TCU located behind passenger seat.As far as Old TCU minor adjustments they had to be done accordingly to the service manual between 30 to 70 degrees Celsius this means car almost cold. I tryed doing it a few times as per the manual (on-wait for check light-engine on 10 seconds and off again four times) but the results were none or unnoticeable. Hope this information will help you.

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

As others have stated it is the clutch over heat warning. There is a fixed equation in the TCU that calculates the distance the car has moved VS the time the clutch is slipping. Usually happens in stop and go driving or when backing up a great distance where the clutch never engauges completely. Drive the car by surging the throttle in these conditions so the clutch releases completely and then coast the car. A steady light throttle will result in a constant slipping clutch and eventually the distance VS slippage equation is met and the warning tone sounds each time the clutch is released.
    Dave