Deutsche Alpenstrasse tips | FerrariChat

Deutsche Alpenstrasse tips

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ze_shark, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Looking for some advice on the best bits of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse:
    - from Bregenz to Füssen
    - from Füssen to Garmisch
    - from Garmisch to Salzburg
    What are the real nice bits worth considering in an itinerary ?
    I also read that A8/E45 from München to Salzburg is nice and fast ?

I dug up the itinerary of the 2d tour that the Ferrari Club of Germany did last year (http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/174013/318277.html), but this seems to be southwards in the Austrian alps ?
    1. day
    Schruns, Thüringerberg, Satteins, Dornbirn Gütle (here is the world biggest ROLLS ROYCE Museum we have visited), Bödele, Schwarzenberg, Bezau, Au, Faschina Raggal, Bludenz, Schruns. 160 km
    2. day
    Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse (the absolut highlight!!!), Bielerhöhe, Kops, Galtür, Ischgl, Arlberg Schnellstrasse, Flirsch, Pettneu, St. Anton, St. Christoph, Lech, Oberlech, Bludenz, Schruns. 160 km

Another thread talks about the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, it's further south than I'd like to go, but is it as fantastic as some say ?

Many thanks for ze advice ...

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi,

indeed it was in Austria, Montafon Region. Wonderful tour but the mountains are not as high as the Grossglockner-Hochalpenstrasse.
    The route & whole story from the Ferrari-Club-Deutschland drive out is under the above link.
    Feel free to ask me for any more details.

3. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    this autobahn is neither nice nor fast, it is rather windy and very old. mostly jammed with traffic.

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Thanks for the tip on the Autobahn, read exactly the opposite in one post :)
    What about the Deutsche Alpenstrasse ? Was expecting to be flooded with good advice ... Bitte sehr ?
    And the Grossglockner ? Looks steep, but is it a nice road or a joke like the Stelvio ?

5. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    I agree with Trevi 100%. The traffic is terrible on the road from München to Salzburg, and it should only be ridden on a motorcycle!

Cheers, MARK

6. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi ze_shark,

What's wrong with the Stelvio ? Just curious because I never been there.

It looks nice in picture !

7. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Matter of personal preference, I guess. The Stelvio is lauded for its 40-plus hairpins and its high altitude, view is nice (when it's not cloudy or raining), but as a road, I dislike it.
    Tarmac on the eastern side is in catastrophic condition, road is narrow to the point where crossing other cars (or dutch campers for that matter, though I have nothing against dutch people) at crawling speeds is a nerve-wracking exercize, the hairpins are so tight and bumpy that you wonder if your front spoiler is going to make it to the top (a Maranello would not go through several of them without manoeuvering back and forth). The road is so slow as a result that it becomes a pathetic procession where the only reward is getting to the top with your car unscratched.
    On the western side, road is in better condition but still very narrow, there are a few nasty tunnels where crossing is tight or nearly impossible with a wide car.
    Compared to other wonders in the same area such as the Offenpass (try it at dusk after a rainy day, unforgettable experience) or the Julier, or other sublime alp roads westwards, the Stelvio really does not rank high on my list. Did it twice, once with a bike and once with the 355, and both were boring at best.

Evo contributed to give a romantic reputation to the Stelvio after its 360CS/996GT3-2 comparo article, but it seems that these dudes like to take supercars to rather inadequate locations.

Now that's just an opinion ...

8. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the info !

Now, I am going to move the Stelvio at the bottom of my "to do" list.