550 "Quirks" | FerrariChat

550 "Quirks"

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by twatson, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I have had my 550 (2000) for a few months now, and as is usually the case with a new car (to me), I start to note things that annoy me. Two things that have come to my attention are squeeky brakes when coming to a slow speed stop and a buzzing vibration through the gas pedal. Anyone else had these things and any fixes (or is it just normal)?

2. Chuck550

Chuck550 Karting

May 15, 2001
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Squeaky brakes are normal with stock Maranello pads. Hit them hard a few times and the squeaking will go away (for a while). There are numerous threads on replacement pads that are quieter.

3. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    May I suggest that you use the Search (Advanced) feature on the board, as there is a wealth of information archived.

The squeaking brakes are standard fare for the 550's. Due to the tight tolerances, at slow speeds you may even hear squeaks with you foot off the pedal while rolling to a stop.

The buzzing vibration in the gas pedal is a new one for me.

4. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    my uncle had a 575 with the upgraded brakes and you could hear him come from a mile away. for some reason they seem to all have that characteristics unfortunately.

5. shelbee

shelbee Guest

it is normal and annoying to have a squeek brake.

Mine just hits 9000 miles and I am thinking of changing them (a set of 4 front and back) to Ferodo brake pads, the specs for the 550 is DS-2500 that match the OEM brake pads.

Here is the link to the web-site. I am still shopping around for the pricing.

http://www.bestbrakes.com/ferodo_compounds.shtml

I will let you know how they feel when they are on.

6. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Thanks for the thoughts. I will do an advanced search. I wonder if anyone has tried a light lubrication on the back side of the pad? I used to see a packet of the stuff enclosed with some brake pads I have installed on other cars in the past.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Shelbee: go with the Porterfield R4-Ss - I got them $280 with shipping and taxes (both front and back) and they are rock solid, dust a lot less, and squeek MUCH less. If you chamfer the edge of the pad, it is brilliantly quiet. A lot of people also use some lubricant on the back of the pad, which might help.

You can call Porterfield and give them my name. PM me if you want more info. I did the brakes myself, very easy once you see how it's done. Took pictures of the process.

--Dan

8. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Thanks DAN. I am getting them installed tomorrow morning. I have been doing some research and decided with Porterfield R4-S. I am getting the brake fluid replaced as well. I will use MOTUL for this fluid

9. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Regarding squealing brakes ....... I put R4S Porterfield pads on my 2000, 550 last week (per others recommendations on this forum) ... only driven the car about 200 miles since and haven't worked them real hard as yet ... but so far not a peep out of them ...... I champered the leading and trailing edges and put red anti-squeal compound on the back of each pad ..... I hate squealing brakes and it was embarrasing driving a Ferrari that sounded like a beater 74 Pinto.

The "stomp on them hard a few times" bit didn't work for me with the oem pads.

I highly recommend changing to these ..... Dusting on mine is at least 90% less ..... another thing I hated about the stock pads.

As for feel and stopping power ... haven't noticed much difference from the oem pads.... but they work great (as did the old pads) ... but are completely quiet (my only reason for changing) I am aware the new pads will work much better than the OEM's when hot ..... my oem pads were most likely original ... had very little wear if any .... basically the same thickness as the new pads. ....... also, flushed the whole system with ATE Super Blue fluid while I had the wheels off .... made it easy to tell when the old fluid was fully flushed because of the color change. Paid $288 for a full set .... Porterfield Racing Brakes is located in Costa Mesa, CA. ATE Superblue ... paid $ 9/liter.

I also did this myself..... very easy job if you're familar with these things....

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Why do you suppose these (replacement) pads are not already bevelled (chamfered)?

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tom: a good question. Because it's easier to produce that way? I honestly have no idea.

--Dan

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It seems to me that "they" could charge a more than the extra *investment* for the "benefits" and get referral and return business, even though it's priced higher.

(thereby making it an *investment* - not an expense)