Value of an authorized dealer.............. | FerrariChat

Value of an authorized dealer..............

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kizdan, Apr 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you feel that there is value in using an authorized dealer for repairs and service

1. All service and repairs done by an authorized dealer.

2. Some by authorized, some by an independant.

3. All repairs done by an independant.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    After reading about the wondermechanic Wayne, I have to ask..........Do you Ferrari owners see any value in getting repairs done at an authorized dealer?

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I think that most do, as it never hurts for the car's history to be documented in such a way. Depending on the models, there are great mechanics that are not factory. Most importantly it seems that you have to do your research and know the mechanic's reputation well, whether dealer or independent.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    here's my thinking on this.

there are reputable independents and independents who aren't reputable. i only deal with the former type and havent' been burned.

for models still in production (today: Modena, Maranello, Enzo; maybe even 456 still since the platform shares a lot with the Maranello - cf. cross-model TSBs) i would only use factory authorized dealer techs. the problem is that ferrari makes all sorts of inline changes to the cars. most are minor, but they might matter.

until the model or its sister models are out of production, you should assume that various technical details remain in flux.

my experience is that the independents, as good they might be, aren't as on top of these (what appear to be somewhat secretive) information stream as the factory authorized dealer guys are.

which isn't to say that there aren't independents that don't know more than the average dealer tech, but i think it's statistically unlikely. one man's opinion.

for models no longer in production, you should interview the shop and find out their experience with that model and talk to references with the same car to grok their skill set. you might easily drop ten large with your mechanic over four or five years - that warrants some smart research. luckily places like ferrarichat exist to make that job a lot easier.

i've also found that if you negotiate with your authorized dealer service manager, you can get pricing more in line with the best independents (the spread isn't that big a deal anyhow).

doody.

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

For me, it depends on what work I need done.

For instance, on the Maranello, I will trust most things now to a local independent, Moorespeed, now that they have an SD2 computer, in addition to the dealer. The only exceptions are paint & bodywork, and anything where the motor has to be opened.

On the 328, I will trust all to Moorespeed.

5. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    We've all had our share of the mechanics from hell! I persnolly belive there are reputable shops out there that do a great job day in and day out. But even the good ones run across freaky problems that are not equipped with the latest tools or training to diagnose. And when they know they have made the mistake they will not admit it and their liability stops there. I spent close to $800 worth of parts and diagnostic cost when my 97 BMW started acting up and have the fuel get cut off. Well I won't go to the detail of how many sensors were changed and yet the problem persisted. I finally took the car to the dealer and after charging me $150.00 for diagnostics they found a piece of masking tape loose in my air intake that was screwing the MAF sensor. Case closed, never had the problem again, and never again I said I will save 10 - 20% to go to an independent shop. And, unfortunately at the surface there is that 10 -20% savings but in the long run one ends up paying more. For that extra 10 -20% I get a piece mind that the service center is liable for their work and stand by the workmanship and would never abandon the customer. I have few more horror stories that could have costed ones life.

Matt

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I remember someone said this once, "Knowing a good Ferrari mechanic is perhaps more imporant than knowing a good CPA." We here in the Pacific NW are fortunate enough to have at least two places we can go to. One is Ferrari Of Seattle, an authorized dealer that can deal with all the new Ferraris with relative ease. And then there is Alfa Of Tacoma, there is not another place on this planet that you can trust more with your Ferrari, especially with the older series.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Doody pretty much summed it up. I don't take my 365GT 2+2 to the dealer, because at the moment they don't seem to have anyone who really understands the old cars. For many years, they had a great vintage car tech and a great service manager, and I never saw any need to go to an independent.

Then, the service manager left and the great tech retired and they had some turnover in general... now I go to a former mechanic from that same dealer, who has a couple of other former dealer techs working for him.

That said, I have been taking my 456 to the dealer. Since it's a 95, the dealer is pretty much the only one who can diagnose the computer. And, they do a decent job, IMO.

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    and since there's a fair amount of shared stuff between the 456 and Maranello, i think that's a smart play until the Maranello is out of production for a bit.

doody.

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I've posted something similar -

My car has been dealer serviced from day one. Car is concours and 6 or 7 trophys in past 12 months.

I took the risk of having it serviced (ac hose and new tires) to a local well known independent in my area (name omitted).

The result were: 1) a broken (cracked) trunk liner from getting to the hose without fully removing the liner (pulled it back instead) - 2) 3 major chips on one rim - 3) Two other rims scratched from mounting tires.

He did agree to fix, but I had to go back latter - more down time - and the wheels were repainted.

The difference between his shop rate and Shelton is about $20/hr. I was penny wise and dollar foolish.

Never again - I will always support my dealer - end of story.

10. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I always take my cars in to dealers for service (except for stuff like tires, of course).

I'm sure there are lots of independent shops that are just as good technically, especially in larger metropolitan areas.

But the main reason I choose dealers is that I think I have much more recourse if something really bad happens (like they forget to tighten the drain plug!).