maser gt- are they a bargin used? | FerrariChat

maser gt- are they a bargin used?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by scycle2020, Apr 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it seems maser gt coupes can be had for as low as mid 50s used..is this a steel or does the car have serious reliablity issues for use as an every day car? would a used 996 p car coupe be a better buy as an everyday car fro the same price? your expert opinons and experiences please!!!

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I love the new Masers.....never owned one yet......but I have owned a lot of 911's.

If it's got warranty why worry in the short term. You'll look different than everyone else......and probably have just as much fun as with a current generation 996.

Napolis will probably pipe in here along with a few other owners.

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would go with an SL or a used 993 myself. Not a big fan of the looks of the Maser compared to the other two. Can't comment on reliability and service costs but bet it isn't as easy and cheap as the other two.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great GT car. Low milage car with upgrades and warrantee is a steal at 50K. (If that's where they trade at)
    If you're going to use it in the snow mount proper tires.

5. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The Maser is a good car. I saw a Cambiocorsa for sale for $66,000. Like 20,000 miles, i think it was an '02.

6. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    IMHO Maser is a killer value! Ferrari engineered, chain driven, 390 hp.V8 is going to be a reliable motor. No belts to worry about! And I'd rest assured that the "Jones-ez" next door won't be driving one anytime soon. Ive seen models in the high 60's with fewer than 10k miles with a remaining warranty (Extendable too!) I would suggest purchasing from a dealer and make sure all recalls were done. OH and Get the Tubi (It sounds great!)

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    do you have one p diddy?

8. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    At Algar Ferrari in Penn. they have a 02' Coupe GT 1300 miles for $57000, whcihc seems like a huge steal!

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Going with an 2002 coup GT at those prices seems like a safe thing to do. I looked a few and the deals were good but I decided I wanted a Spyder GT and it seems the Spyder got a few more improvements after 2002, Like glass rear window and some changes to the chassis to give it a better ride. So I went with an 2004 but if I wanted a coup I would have gone with a 2002

10. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    sorry the car i said actually has 13000 miles... was a misprint in todays paper...

11. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Joining the chorus here…

The noise, engine response, acceleration, combined with its classy exterior and interior (w seating for 4!) adds up to an unbeatable package. You won’t find another car that offers more than the Maser for a similar price.

I bought my Maser over a Porsche 911 Turbo
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13429&highlight=Maser+911+Turbo

Drive the Maser and you will feel the same way!

- Jon

12. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

I am waiting to see what the Quattroporte does. That is a FINE automobile! Gorgeous. Looks like a Ferrari sedan!

If it depreciates in a similar manner, I might see one by 06 or 07.

Nick

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Early convertibles have some issues with cowl shake, and the F1 system can be a little balky, but, I'm told by the mechanics, the programming can be updated.

03's are likewise a good deal, and have resolved the mechanical issues.

04 is a beast, drove coupe and spyder, love both, fast, smooth, eye catching with the motor that is going to be the base for the next gen 360, so, how can you lose.

02 and 03 have taken pretty big depreciation hits. I guess the market is talking about perceived value on these cars. I'd take a low mileage '03, although leases on the '04 are pretty affordable too. (can't figure that out, with the startling deprecation seen on '02 and '03 cars.)

I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards an '04 spyder. Just gotta get off the fence, and in the car.

Dave

14. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Get off the fence into the fine leather seat of an 2004. While Maserati is trying to get cars on the road in the USA you can get a decent amount off sticker, should be able to get at least 10% off. Maserati should catch on here and when it does you will be paying full price or even higher due to such a small prodution car. Took me awhile to decide also, but after driving car the past couple of weeks I have no regrets at all

15. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    As a previous owner of a 2002 coupe and current owner of 2004 coupe, I can say Maser has made subtle but noticeable improvements in the car since the introduction. It has gotten slightly better with each refinement. You can probably find a GT near the 50s, but likely will be a 2002. It would likely take a bit of test driving to see whether or not the increased refinement seen in the 2003s and 2004s will be worth the extra $$ to you. Assuming you still have a warranty, I don't think you can really go wrong either way. It's really a great car to drive.

16. maseraticoupe

maseraticoupe Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Texarkana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Crisp
    I am enjoying my 04 Coupe with Tubi and don't miss the 02 Porsche C4S

17. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    I test drove the M3, M5, and 911 Turbo, but they just weren't enough. I love my 2004 Cambiocorsa Coupe (w/Tubi). I do not recommend the '02 or '03, as the improvements in the transmission and suspension are significant. Test drive, test drive, then test drive some more. My Mas dealer gave me a car for five days. The Porsche salesman wedged himself in the back seat of the 911 because (he said) no car leaves the lot w/o a rep. He gave me a 30 minute test drive and he didn't look so good afterwards. The Mas blew it away just the same.

18. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    comparing the maser to the other two is really not right...in fact, I would say it is more competitive with the AM marque than any other, the 911 is a sports car, that has been given some luxury with this generation, but still, not the same, the interior isnt even close...and the MB is just a 2 door convertible sedan, no real driver involvement. The maserati is perfect for a no compromise sport GT coupe as a daily driver..I love it personally, my only other consideration in that price range would be the AMV8 aston. LOVE them both.