I just drove a Maserati Quattroporte.............. | FerrariChat

I just drove a Maserati Quattroporte..............

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by kizdan, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I was just in New York for Quattroporte training. On hand was a Mercedes S500, S55, BMW 745i, Jaguar XJR, and an Audi A8L for comparison. It was also my first time driving any of those cars. here are my impressions;

These are all fine sedans, I must say. However, the "Ultimate Driving Machine" award now belongs to the Quattroporte. It has 400bhp to move it with authority. The only car that felt faster in a straight line was the S55, which felt like a German version of a muscle car. All the other cars have decent power to move you along, however when you hit the twisties, it is all over. The Q-porte blows them all away in the corners, hands down, it is not even a contest. It is the only sedan that I know of to have the weight biased towards the back, giving it similar characteristics to a mid-engined sports car, and you most certainly feel the benefit of this. The paddle-shifter, now called Duo-Select, defaults to the automatic mode, and it is quite smooth, much better than any other I've ever experienced. Styling is another knockout punch. Absolutely gorgeous to see it rolling down the road. And the sound! Wow!

If you love Ferraris, your 4-door version has arrived.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Thanks for the feedback. I ditched my MB tuna boat before I left for China. I was thinking S55 when I get back, but this has caught my eye. Wonder how fast this will depreciate.

Erik
    I like buying depreciated cars...

3. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    This is the consummate sedan. I want one badly.

1. What is the MSRP?

2. Where are the pics man?!?!

4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My contacts at Shelton say the same things. It's nice when the consumer also agrees with the salesman views.

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    MSRP has not been set yet.

Sorry, didn't have a camera with me.

6. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    what a gorgeous car, really good to hear positive comments about it. its been said that in auto mode the shifts are horrible?did they remap for the us??

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Is this car available with a conventional manual tranny, instead of the paddle-shifter?

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would love a gated 6 spd for it. ///M5 Eat your heart out.

Has F/M decided to do an auto box (yet?)

9. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    The MB S55 will outperform the Maser Quatrro. With 493HP and 512lbs/ft of torque its no contest. The MB S55 AMG has "speed shift" buttons behind the steering wheel if you want to shift manually and they are silky smooth unlike the jerk jerk of the paddles prevalent in almost all of cars that have it. Also,
    MB reliabilty and quality of the MB, especially with the "S" class is hard to beat. Dynamic seat bolsters that tighten up in turns, adjustable ride height and ABC (automatic body control) makes the S55 a formidable opponent.

10. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    But at the end of the day you still know in your heart, that you own something that resembles a molested beaver with crooked teeth.
    When it comes right down to it, I don't think most of the people buying a Quattroporte are going to be worrying about 100 extra hp in such a fine sedan. The estimated price Maserati has been telling the media is in the 90-100 range, whereas the S55 is at 110k.
    As for handling, I would have to shy toward the Quattroporte as well, being one of the many things the Italian group is known for. Plus, if you read the thread-starters first post before you put your words down, you would clearly see why the he even bothered writing what he did, he got a chance to compare them all on his test drive.
    I don't foresee MB's "S Class" taking any buyers away from the QP's waiting list, something that looks that good just doesn't come around everyday.

However, they had no plans, as I understand it, for a gated 6 speed because they had a few problems with their rear transaxle they used. Although I am sure if they had really wanted to fit the shifting mechanism's of a normal manual in their, they could have with a little added R&D and expense. After all Porsche had done the rear transaxle on the 944 years ago didn't they? If sales go as expected I do assume they will continue to refine their new beauty as technology progresses, let's remember this is the first year of this drastic change of the QP. An automatic however, would be out of the question for this car, since it has such a large distance between the engine, and the transmission.

Kizdan, I assume they upgraded the software on the QP? When the test drives in Europe started, their was lots of remarks of how the automatic mode was jumpy when it shifted. Perhaps they borrowed the software from Ferrari's CS, as it was quite a refinement?

As for depreciation, I suppose we will just have to see, won't we?
    There's my box of apples,
    CS

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The Q-Portes that I got to drive were Euros. Nonetheless, they did shift smoother than any other paddle shifters I have experienced in Auto mode. Also, when we do get US versions here, they will be even further refined.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Nope. And you probably wouldn't miss it in the Q-Porte.

13. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I don't believe an auto box is in the cards.

14. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Yes, the S55 will outaccelerate the Maser, but that is all, and not by much. Their tranny is a conventional torque-converter equipped automatic, which will not give the performance, and more importantly, the feel that the Duo-Select provides.

MB reliability? Are you kidding me? It has gone down the toilet! I know a number of people locked in lawsuits with MB trying to give their cars back. They have gone downhill quickly.

Maserati offers continuously adjustable air bladders in their seats, a full adaptive suspension, and MSP (Maserati Stability Program). Put the S55 and the Q-Porte on a road course, and the Maser will blow it right off of the course.

All I can say is go and test drive one when your local dealer has them available, and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

15. RStarring

RStarring Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    Western Michigan
    Full Name:
    Roger Starring
    Are you "Dan" from Cauley?

16. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

oh shoot, the Mb will accelerate faster to 60 by .2 secs in straight line. sorry but if nething, the Mb cannot compare to the Maserati. The maser is ultra exlcusive, feels great, handles amazingly, gorgeous, fast, dosnt have a cut out at 155mph and its Italian. these are just a few reasons that they have all 2000 4porte have been booked for 2004.

to boost sales for 2005 maserati will keep refining their duoselect and there are rumors of putting a V12, maybe from the Enzo, now that would be incredible

17. Mercedes S-Class is no comparison to the Quadroporte in looks and performance. The S55 and S600 will smoke it anywhere besides interior colors options unless you go designo. The 600 Bi-Turbo V12 makes 500hp and 600ft+ of torque. When Modifyed with a simple ECU and intercooler adjustment from one of the Bigger tuners like RENNtech it can easly hit 3.3 0-60 and middle 11's 1/4.

The quadroporte is a fine car but I just dont like its styling looks to heavy the rear is perfect but the front grille isnt to shabby.

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    3.3 0-60? What's your source on that one?

19. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    well see wat the outcome is when they put a nice V12 under that bonnet

20. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    KIZDAN,

Do you have any experience with the 612 yet? I'm curious as to how it compares to the Quattroporte. Do you think Maser makes a 4 seat Ferrari somewhat redundant now?

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Ben Treynor. He has a few 600 - 1000+ hp Vipers and

S600 w.
    RENNtech ECU upgrade - all it does it bring the engine back to "de-limited" levels, same as in the Maybach.
    RENNTech Ten Spoke Wheels and AMG's
    Some wicked drag radials :D

I wish I had the link but I'm about to go see the Rockets kill the Lakers again :)

22. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Who cares if the MB is faster, wow! The Maser Porte is a very nice car and another nice option to choose from the many available out now. I look forward to hearing more reviews as they get to our shores. The Im faster bs is getting kinda old, oh my car is faster so yours is a pos. Come on dont knock the car just cause an amg mb is faster, that doesnt make the maser garbage.

23. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    the 612's 5.7 V12 would be perfect in the QP...designed for plenty of torque at all RPMs, but also providing the typical Italian High end pull...mmmm...want one already! and I actually think in this case, the duo-select is the way to go, or for the soccer moms, an auto, a conventional manual just wouldnt feel right to me.

24. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    That I'm faster is very dumb, we even see post here from Ferrari owners complaining about being beaten by the Subaru WRX STI. Do those Ferrari owners want to own a Subaru? I am betting no. I did not buy my new Maserati spyder GT cause I thought I would have the fastest car, There are cars faster I could have gotten for at least half what this car cost me. If you are buying a car strictly for 0-60 or 1/4 mile then a Maserati is not for you

25. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    +1

The AMG isn't anywhere near the level of the Maser. They are two cars targeted at two different audiences.