Dino 246 Exhaust | FerrariChat

Dino 246 Exhaust

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Apr 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Just put a new Stebro on the Dino. Sounds great on acceleration, but bubbles like crazy on deceleration, but only under load.

If you rev/de-rev out of gear, sounds great, but in gear, it just burbles like crazy.

Mechanic feels it's the exhaust itself, and would like to change to a stock exhaust, or Tubi, if we think that will alleviate the problem.

The problem is compounded by not having any experience with this car with a good exhaust. It had a crappy aftermarket setup, that didn't fit real well, on before this, so we have no comparison.

Anyone out there have this experience with the Stebro set up? Or have an exhaust on their car now that works real well?

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    my 74 dino has the original exhaust still in place. my car does something similar. when slowing down, if you put the car in neutral, the car sounds normal. however, if you leave the car in gear and the rpm's begin to drop, i get a popping noise that sounds like the car is running rich. i believe the noise you are hearing is the same type of noise.

3. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sounds like your description is the same as mine, but, it pops LOUD, and a lot. Excessively, according to the mechanic.

Doesn't sound like a stock exhause will do the trick, either.

I'll keep digging, thanks.

Dave

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the popping sound isn't any louder than when the enigine is reved. it isn't anywhere near as loud as a backfire. how loud would you say your noise is?

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Anything against Ansa?

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ansa was the stock exhaust, I believe on the Dino's. Nothing against them, just thought I'd try a Stebro instead.

nope it's not any louder than the exhaust itself, but, in this instance, that's pretty loud. It's not a backfire at all, just a loud bubble/burble.

7. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    My Ansa exhaust was rebuilt during the restoration. I get some of the popping noises you describe, but nothing of concern. I think the sound of the Ansa on a 246 is just incredible. I'd go back to the Ansa.

8. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I have a Stebro on mine and I was thinking there was something wrong. Until I started hanging out and driving with other Dino owners and noticed that they all do about the same thing. So it's normal.

If you do try another exhaust, I'd be interested in your comparison.

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Have you, or your mechanic, tried anything to mitigate the sound?

Check the gaskets, make sure carbs are right, re-jetting, etc, or just decided to live with it?

'Cause it's making me a little crazy right now.

I'm going to try the stock exhaust in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know what I hear, or don't.

10. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

I need an exhaust system for my 74 Dino. Can you still buy Ansa systems ???

11. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I've had my mechanic look at it before because like I said, I thought something was wrong. To me, it was a bit excessive. I have other cars that burble on deceleration. And I love the sound. But this one isn't striking the right chord if you get my drift.

But the cars in getting repainted right now and I'd been out of the country for a while. So it's been at least 2 years since I've driven the car. I had forgotten about this until I read your post.

12. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    OOPS! I didn't actually answer your question. Yes I've decided to live with it because I've heard other Dinos sound the same. So I just thought the next time I need an exhaust, I might try a Tubi.

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dunno, but we can talk a deal on a very low mileage Stebro!