Making Ferrari shifting easier | FerrariChat

Making Ferrari shifting easier

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348SStb, Apr 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

My brother likes my 348 coupe, but he says he wouln't want one for himself because the shifting is too much of a pain in the a-s-s.

We all know that the older Ferraris take some effort and precision to shift. You can't just lollipop these cars into gear. Is there anything that could be done to make the shifting easier--like 355/360 ease? Or even Porsche-like ease? I don't have any experience with fiddling with gearboxes.

I want to put him in an older Ferrari!

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Unfortunalty making the 348 shift better is a bit of a trick. The 348 uses a push-pull cable system for the shifting. If not adjusted correctly it will be a stubborn unit to shift. The 355 went back to a shift rod which is much nicer. But for the 360 ferrari went back to useing cables and they shift quite nice. The only thing to do is trial an error to find the sweet spot were everything is working as it should, and feels right. This may take a couple of goes but it's not that difficult. Just remeber a little goes along way with these car so don't go turning stuff like crazy, you'll just end up worse.

You could also try a different gear oil like a good sythectic like Amsoil or redline oils. They do seem to make a big inprovment in these car as far as shift feel goes.

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    There are modified shift gates available, e.g. from Paul Hill, which claim to make shifting from 1 to 2 and from 3 to 4 easier. I have not tried them yet but would be tempted to buy one.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Perhaps you should teach him respect, first.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Tom.

does the same apply for the 246GT? Push pull? My Dino is quite stiff to shift.

How's that project Dino coming along, BTW?

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Dino is also a shift shaft..no cables. You might want to try an adjustment of the shifter rod. Not very difficult to do at all..but again of your not used to doing it, it may take a couple of tries to get it just right.

7. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Don't over torque your rod

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Try in order:
    shift linkage draggin chaffe. I have seen the cable even crushed by jacks!
    gear oil change
    shift linkage correction

most popular oils
    mobil1
    redline mix mtl and the other I forget
    royal purple
    amsoil synthetic

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Also be sure your clutch spigot (input shaft) bearing is free, be sure the centre plate(s) is(are) free to slide nicely on it's(their) input shaft splines and that the clutch is not dragging for adjustment or clutch bleeding problems, depending on model.

Make sure all engine mounts are in good condition (oil contamination most common problem) and no excessive slack in any linkage bushes etc.

10. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I had one of these gates fitted to my 328,and I can confirm it makes shifting much easier,in fact i did not miss a gear once after it was fitted.
    Dave Mc

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Being that the 355 has the same base for the body as a 348, I wonder if the shift shaft for the 355 could be fitted to a 348?

12. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Go to the Hill Engineering site and read my testimonial. You can click up top as they're one of our sponsors.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F