308 oil type | FerrariChat

308 oil type

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by maurice70, Apr 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Could anyone give me some advice on which type of oil I should use in my gt4?Engine blows a bit of smoke and I know that a rebuild is due(as asked before in another post).Was using Penrite non synthetic 40/70w but switched to shell helix synthetic 5/40w.Only true difference i have found is hardly any oil leaks with the synthetic otherwisestill smoky.What oil or additives could i use to lessen the smoke and oil consumption.Engine currently stock with about 103000kms(65000mls.) thanks in advance

2. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    This topic has been posted about 10 times in the last 6 months--there is a lot of information in the old posts and archives

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Sorry to sound a bit lazy, but after doing a search I still could not get any info that directly helps me out.If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    40w70 is waaaaay too thick--almost to the gear lube end of the scale---try mobil 10-50 synthetic--or castrol 20-50 mineral oil---

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    You might want to try some of the new " high milage" oils advertisd by all of the major oil companies--Castrol, Havolin, etc.