Guys and Gals > Please read! Thanks! | FerrariChat

Guys and Gals > Please read! Thanks!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Nibblesworth, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    As most of you may know, I am just about to finish my 3rd year as a transfer student at UCLA. I'm not the "traditional student" often associated with college - I'm 28, spent four years in the Marine Corps, and three years in sales before deciding to go to school.

During my first year, I fell upon serious financial stress. While I had a slight amount of savings from my sales career, that dissapeared within a few months. Soon, I had literally no money. In fact, there were often days that I had nothing to eat (I know, sounds like a sob story, but it's true), and with no car, I had to ride my bike to school, which amounted to a 36 mile bike ride each day.

Eventually, my GI Bill benefits kicked in, but it did take about 4 months of virtual poverty for the VA to process my first payment. Of course, I now have ample finances, as UCLA offered me a full ride plus a little extra to keep me fed, but I doubt I will ever forget those first four months of school.

So, enough about me - let me get to the meat and potatos of this message. While starving, I found it odd that my college didn't have any resources available for veterans like myself. I eventually started an on-campus veteran's organization, The Grand Army of the Republic, which I used to (somewhat) improve the lives of veterans at my school and in my community.

I have been thinking long and hard about the soldiers, sailors, and Marines who will soon be returning home after a long and dangerous tour in the Middle East. I figure that many of them will opt to enroll in college upon their return. While their GI Bill will give them needed financial releif, I would like to do more to help out those who might find themselves in a position similar to what I went through.

Therefore, I have decided to create a scholarship fund for veterans attending Mount San Antonio College in Walnut, Ca, the community college from which I transferred. The school has a scholarship program that allows an individual to donate funds and create a scholarship program with specific requirements. For example, a very nice lady named Alice Grenier started one for history majors who excell academically, and I was awarded the scholarship. While it wasn't a fortune, it was $400 dollars that I did not have before.

I plan to create a fund that will, for five years, award two $500 scholarships to two qualified student each year. Students with veteran status from the US Military, who are enrolled full-time, and who meet certain currently undecided academic requirements will be invited to apply.

I will be donating $100 from my pocket, and while it is not a whole heck of a lot, it is pretty much all I can spare (I am, after all, a starving college student :) ). The addtion $4900 required I hope to acquire through donations, much of which I plan to get via door-to-door pavement pounding.

If anyone here is interested in donating money, I would greatly appreciate it. All I will be asking for from complete strangers is the change in their pocket, and that is all I will ask of you. If you feel so inclined, I will gladly accept any check, regardless of the amount, in order to build the fund.

Although I am shooting for $5000, the full amount of donations I receive will be donated, regardless of how short I fall from my mark. I do not plan on keeping 10% or 15% as an administrative fee - I'm not in this to make anything for me. I am simply attempting to help those future veterans at Mount San Antonio College who are in need of financial aid.

Let me know if you have an interest in helping.

My email address is [email protected], my phone # is 909-333-3113, and my address is:

William Nones
    2372 1/2 Park Blvd
    Upland, Ca 91784

Thanks for reading!

2. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Hey man, good for you. Best of luck and continued success...

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great job Nibbler. Who should we make checks out to?

Thanks for your effort, Dale

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

NIbbs:

If you can get Dr. Tax to get you tax exempt status so that the contribs will be tax deductible, you'll get to the end a lot quicker. I'd give a little if I could take it off the taxes.

Art

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not a bad idea. If somebody will form a California non-profit corp, I'd be happy to do the IRS paperwork. However, I suspect that the CC can do this cheaper under it's own umbrella. William, pls check with the fund raising office and see if that can open up a fund for zero dollars.

Dale

6. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi William, I will follow up and contact you. I greatly admire and respect what others like you have done for us at home. It's human nature, but we tend to take your efforts for granted as we remain in our comfort zone, not realizing that others have made our comfort zone possible. Thank you. Mike

7. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I'll contact the office today to find out about the tax status.

I'd also be happy to start a corp, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it, or what the cost of getting the paperwork together would cost.

I'll keep you all posted on what info I find.

Thanks!

Afterthought - as for who to make the check out to, let me first see if I can get a corp or NPO set-up first. I figure most people would be more willing to write a check out to a verifiable corp/NPO vs. just schmuck on the internet.

8. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Ok Gentlemen - I just spoke with the scholarship office. Here's the deal: if you want to write a check, make the check out to the Mt. SAC Foundation, and send it to me. If you write a check, you can either include a letter explaining that you want the money to go to the Veteran's Scholarship, or you can send just a check only, and I will create a blanket letter to cover all the checks.

The Mt. SAC Foundation is a non-profit organization, and with the name and address on each check, they will ensure that the donation is tax-deductable. I'm not sure how this works, as I am the furthest thing from a tax expert, but I'm sure Dr. Tax can explain it.

So, if you want to donate, make the check payable to The Mt. SAC Foundation, and send it to my address listed above.

Also, I can create the account with as little as $300, and with $1000 I can at least set up the two $500 scholarship, and the fund will continue to award scholarships as long as there is $1000 deposited each year. In other words, while I'd love to collect $5000, any amount will work.

I'll make sure to keep everyone posted on the total amount of funds donated.

If you'd like to visit Mt. SAC's website, it is www.mtsac.edu.

Thanks again.

9. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I now have collected $450 total.

Ten $450 days and I'll be close to my $5000 goal.

Thanks for reading.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm in for $100

11. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Fantastic! That brings the total to $550. Thanks Doc!

I'm beginning my door to door crusade next friday - I've postponed my LSAT from June until October, and now have a bit more time to devote to this.

Thanks again!

12. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    bumping for a good cause.

13. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    After chauffering me around in his amazing 550 all morning and afternoon today, a very generous and thoughtful Darth550 made a very generous and thoughtful contribution.

Thanks again Darth- I'm floored at your generosity, in giving and in allowing me to get car sick in your beautiful f-car.

Thanks a bunch - I owe you!

14. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Count me in for $100.
    It's nice to see people giving back...
    PM me and let me know where to send the money.

Tom,

15. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy

Thanks Tom! You have a PM.

Take care! :)