Big Bend=open road race=no Ferraris?!?!?! | FerrariChat

Big Bend=open road race=no Ferraris?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Just spent the weekend out at Fort Stockton Texas at the Big Bend Open Road Race. They put on a fantastic event 58 smooth paved miles of open road and classes that run from av speed of 85 mph all the way up to unlimited. The Corvettes were well represented as were the Mustangs and even a few Pantara's, One '01 Lambo driven by Gary from Lambo Dallas and yes sir a Saleen S7. I gotta tell you seeing these cars being driven as extended was really something but i have to be honest After listening to the various bellyaching about how you can never get to drive your Ferrari like it was intended I was rather shocked to see that NO FERRARI's were entered in this race.
    It is a bit of a drive to get there but NO FERRARI?!?!?!

I will post up some shots in a bit but YOU MUST put this on the schedule for next year

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #2 writerguy, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    very cool, what were the top speeds reached?

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I don't have the official times yet but there was a retired NASCAR running unlimited. I will check with the organizers for the full list

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Most Ferrari guys don't like to clutter up the inerior with fire extingushiers and roll cages.

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Well there are plenty of other classes that don't require that.

7. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Aren't those little deer standing roadside of cars blazing past at 100+mph a little dangerous?

-DC

8. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Yes that is why we tried to shoo them away

believe me the sound of the cars was enough to move ANY wild life away (with the exception of a buzzard that took out someone's windshield)

9. greg

greg Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2004
    Tyler, Tx
    The BBORR was something I looked forward to every year when I lived "out there". The event just keeps on growing so maybe some Ferraris will begin to show up. I believe only one Ferrari has ever entered the event and it was a black 348 owned by a guy in California. It was good to see a Lamborghini and an S7 though. I plan to get back for the event sometime. Thanks for the pictures.

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

It was pretty funny when the S7 and Lambo rolled in there was an audible hush like in the old west movies and the bar goes quiet as the bad guy swings open the door to the saloon....

11. greg

greg Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2004
    Tyler, Tx
    Living in that town you were lucky to see a corvette drive through. Most people probably did not know what the heck those cars were. Firestone has e test track about 15 miles west of town and I know some exotics including a Mclaren F1 and Jaguar XJ-220 have been tested. I was not allowed at the track to watch but know a guy that works there and he had some great pics and video. He was in the bborr and drove a dark green 96 corvette.

12. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i want to do it next year that would be so cool, is there a site to go to for it.

I remember seeing a video of the one in las vegas where the testarosa crashed, that was sad

john

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
  14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #14 writerguy, Apr 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    some more shots now that I have a moment

And Mitch the more I think of this "Most Ferrari guys don't like to clutter up the inerior with fire extingushiers and roll cages." that kind of tick's me off you can enter and not have that and enjoy your self just can't get into the unlimited classes, HELL one of the Vettes doing the run had Freekin Handicapped plates, and someone else ran a Saturn, still someone else ran a Powerstroke Diesel F 350. It's Driving not a beauty contest, hell if I wasn't covering it I could have entered the Land Rover.

15. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. On a side question, what is it like to cover an event such as this?

My father has a local newspaper in AZ. And I was thinking that maybe I can do write-ups of cool car events for him such as the CopperState 1000. And have fun in the process. Just wanted to hear your take on covering events.

Thanks,

Manny

16. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    the event is a blast for the social side lots of great people and that is where the really interesting stuff is. for shooting something that is, well, not spectator friendly like this it can be a major pain, the location where I shot from was 38 miles out from Ft Stockton and I was high up on a mesa the wind just howled across the desert floor and channeled up through the rock cut, a cold front had come in the night before and i was dying out there. I had to be down that road before 5:30 am or they were closing access, but when the cars started rolling I could hear them 10 miles away really cool.

the tough part of anything like this is knowing what is going on I had no radio and the place is so remote Cell phone is sketchy and even AM FM was gone. Most of the people who would cover this would hang out at the start finish lines and miss most of it.

I only found out what happened to the guy who hit the buzzard after I came in.

17. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nice Impala!!!!! :D