1st National FerrariChat Meet? | FerrariChat

1st National FerrariChat Meet?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    We have our local drives, but how about a national get together for everyone. It could be a weekend thing. When would the best time to hold it, and where? How many would even go to it? Thoughts, ideas. What do you guys think?

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA, ERNIE

LETS HAVE IT IN NJ..........MY VOTE.........

3. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    central NJ at that! :)

4. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
  5. JeremyG

JeremyG Rookie

Nov 9, 2003
    Not a Ferrari owner, but have some advice for you...

To let you know, I am the founder and organizer of the 3000GT/Stealth National Gathering. We got 180 cars our first year, 178 the 2nd, and this year we're pretty sure we'll break 200 cars. They are coming from all over the USA... first year to South Bend Indiana, last year St Louis, and in 2004, Indianapolis.

Anyway, you have to run it like a business (ie. ONE person in charge with a committee and then a couple key helpers). It's not hard to plan, surprisingly... you have to find a hotel and negotiate rooms... find a caterer to negotiate meals for each day, and find a track to accomodate your racing events, and find sponsors to offset the costs. Oh, and of course you have to spring for liability insurance.

Our event easily surpasses $35,000 in budget for the tracks, insurance, food, merchandise, trophies, and misc. We bring in about $10k in sponsorship money and $25k in participant fees. as organizers we don't make any profit (by design) and use any excess money to fund the following year's event.

You'll want to have the event in a "population center" of the US... somewhere within an 8 hour drive from 2 of cities that have the most Ferrarichat members. For our event, most owners are from the east coast, Detriot, and Chicago so we keep our event in the midwest. Costs are also more reasonable in this area.

Anyway I have a ton of advice if anyone decides to head up the event for you. All it takes is someone with around 200 hours of extra time to spend in planning (yeah, 200 hours, maybe more).

The website for our event is www.3snationalgathering.com if you want to check it out for ideas.

Let me know if I can give some sort of advice.

6. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    This event needs to take place in the central part of the US so people can make it from all three coasts... how about Dallas!

7. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    NJ, TX, ... That's just ridiculous, it has to be in Hawaii ;)

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    How about London??

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, we've already had several events that could of been considered a national or international FerrariChat.com meet. There are many legal and administrative headaches with making something like this official.

Unless you want to bring costs into the picture, I think we should continue as we have the past several years...

- 2 Indy F1 gatherings
    - West coast gathering with 4 of the top 5 posters (all except me).
    - Atlantic City last year at Vernon's CC.
    - Several gatherings up in Tri-state, like at Bruce's.
    - European gathering

I know there have been several more gatherings of 10-20 users all around the world.

Organize locally and invite internationally. I went to the Indy and Atlantic City gathering last year. I hope to go to more in the future. These will be made up of 90% locals, but then others can join in on the fun if they like.

10. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    no way, you are driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My vote is Bruces house in NJ or Bobs house in Dallas! :D

12. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Either way I'm in. But what would be stopping us from blocking out a good chunk of hotel rooms and having a get together in lets say Chicago??

13. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JIM AND ROB...MY HOUSE WOULD BE FINE, BUT PLEASE BRING THE PORTO-JOHNS AS IM ON SEPTIC AND THE SYSTEM WOULD HAVE A MELTDOWN

HI PAT:)

14. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    May I humbly suggest Nashville, TN, May 28-30, 2004. Eurofest Nashville ( see results of the 2003 meet at http://eurofestnashville.com ) is a wonderful event being held Memorial Day weekend in nearby Franklin, TN.

Over 250 european cars and motorcycles were at the 2003 event. In 2004, 400-450 entrants are expected. This will also be the National Event for the Jensen car club as well as a major regional event for the Porche Club of America. There is a party Friday, the show Saturday, and a road rally or autocross on Sunday (take your choice). Something for everyone.

We had several Ferraris in 2003 and are looking to make a major presence in 2004 as part of the FCA southeast. This would be the perfect event for a National Ferrarichat meet.

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    In all fairness, NJ does have the most residents per square mile of any state in the union. I'm all for having it at Bruce and Andreanna's! Plus, you can all meet their amazing dog Cleo with her unbelievable fire breath. :)

16. ART360

ART360 Guest

July in Monterey. Since the National meet is there then, why not then?

Art

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, we'll have a FC dinner and gathering like Indy for sure.

19. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    July? I wish. Its in August. Latter half of August, in fact.
    Making logistics with school age kids a bit of a challenge.

But, yes, a FerrariChat get together at the FCA National
    meet is a must. I hope me, my wife, and my Fcar are there!

20. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The Indy dinner this year was great. for all of you planning on going to Barrett Jackson Car auction in Scottsdale in Jan 04 we are planning a little F-Chat get together that weekend. Anyone interested PM myself and i will keep everyone posted as the time draws near.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

21. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I'm all for that! Maybe a drive around the better roads in the valley too?

22. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Patrick;

Send me a pm or e-mail and i will put you on the list.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    A ferrarichat meeting would be great. We could even have a combat cage for all the grudges made over the years,HA! HA! i know there are a few i would like to talk to,then all have a drink after it,could raise money for charity doing it if thats ya bag.

24. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Perfect date? What about the Indy 500 as a gathering place? OK, why not USGP in Indy? OK, like August, how about Brickyard 400 at Indy? How about Auburn IN auction day? We can all chip in and buy a classic.

I agree with Rob, leave it as is. Most times our grand aspirations are left on the computer. Big meeting at Lime Rock was a joke. If the 360 Challenge, USGP, etc, won't get Tifosi off their duffs, nothing will. :)

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I say we make it somewhere that most of us will be anyway: Barret Jackson, Monterey, Indy are three good choices. Why can't we have three meets? They are spread out well both geographically and chronologically so I think that it would work.