If I only had known back then....SD-455 Trans Am | FerrariChat

If I only had known back then....SD-455 Trans Am

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Kds, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#1 Kds, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.ebizautos.com/autoworksllc/detail.cfm?iid=237495

I have no affiliation with this vendor.

Anyone here a Trans Am fan ?

I owned 4 of these monsters back in the middle and late 70's......and could have bought a few SD-455's for a few thousand dollars back then......they would have been parked beside my $10,000 Daytona's.......if only I had known better......

The SD-455 was the ultimate TA.....it was snuck past the Pontiac fuel economy advocates by Herb Adams and often speculated to be one of the highest HP Pontiac engines ever produced with the lowest advertised ratings......

This one is an extremely rare 4 speed manual.....one of 212 produced.

Anyone got a spare $ 59K ???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Has one or two. Hopefully he'll see your post.

KevFla

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I've spoken to him about TA's actually.

I've been watching E-Bay etc......for a while, and all the good original restored stuff is way too much money for my meagre wallet.......and all the stuff I'd want to buy and restore is way to far gone for me and still too much money.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't think carreaper has any '74 455 Super Dutys, IIRC. They were the top of the line! I advised my father of this at the time, he bought a new Impala instead. I later got it stuck out on a country road, and reminded him the T/A would probably have made it!

I passed on a '73 much the same because the motor (Ram Air III) had blown. I was unaware of SUPER RARE dealer installed option, a crate motor Ram Air IV. It would have made it all well again.

Thanks for posting! I've got a six speed 25th Anniversary T/A now, but it's not the same!

I think we got $1,200.00 trade in on the Impala!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You think that's an original car, or something they drug out of the swamp and built out of a box??????

That's the problem with the crazy $$$ on this type stuff. How would you know, unless you bought it from your Grandma???

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That brings back the memories! I drove a '78 Formula 350 for many years.

I think it cranked out 215 bhp. IIRC! Tires lasted a lot longer!!

7. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My first car was a 75 T/A Silver with dents all over and a detuned 400 engine that got 8mpg and made a lot of noise but only had about 180hp

Open the doors they'd drop from the weight and worn hinges, I lived in Seattle so the rear window was rusted out and water would run across the roof into the trunk making a stinky swamp in the trunk that would rush forward into the rear seat/floor board if I hit the brakes hard.Sold it for $1000

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Alan.....

Is it original ? Well.......their ad states "restored" which in my books is OK if the numbers and documents line up. From what I could see on their site it has the right identifiers that make it look like a real SD-455 to me.

But $59K USD....about $80K CAD......even "if" I had the money.......no way. I'd could buy two or three beautiful 455-HO's for the same amount and smile just as much.

Your words are wise advice.......as there is a car listed on the E-Bay site that is a 1972 455-HO which was sold to a well known and experienced collector, and it turned out to be an almost perfect clone, so the guy is selling it.

E-Bay item # 2475124020

Atheyg.....

My first T/A was a 1975 "Bucaneer Red" on white vinyl 400 automatic as well. I put one of the first available nitrous systems on it and used to street race like crazy until one day it felt like it was running on 4 cylinders. Trade in time.......

9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Keith:

Don't stop yet. When I was in hi-school, there was a collector dealer in town. He had an original LS-6 454 71 Roadster Orange for 14,500. This was about 1980. I remember original 59 F.I. corvettes for the same $$.

I was in the local Houston Pontiac Club. My first fun car was a 1968 GTO.
    Nobody knew anything was going to be worth something. I sat in a Superbird at a collector car auction. I think it went for 14K ? 440 6 Pack with pistol grip shifter. The parts cars go for more than that today. NOT the cars to restore. Those are more $$.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Ralph.....

So true.......

In 1982 I worked at a Toyota dealership here in Calgary in the parts department after I left the military. This was during my Trans Am years. They took a 1967 Corvette coupe on trade......it was the pale yellow with black leather and a black hood stinger.....40,000 miles......and it had a 427/435 HP "tri power" and a 4 speed. $7,900 was the asking price...aaarrgghhhh !!! I was going to buy it but my dad wouldn't co-sign for such an "old" car......

Coulda bought a 426 HEMI 1967 Coronet b-pillar coupe for about $3,500 at the same time as well....it needed paint...etc...etc....who woulda thought....eh ?

It's these Trans Ams that I miss the most thought...........

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's a hot car. :drools: