Engine Out - 348 service question | FerrariChat

Engine Out - 348 service question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rleander, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    If the motor has to come out to track down a pesky oil leak, does it make sense to go ahead and have the belts done? I had the 30K service done when I bought the car 42 months ago. The 60 month marker does not hit until fall of 2005, but with the engine out does it make sense to go ahead and do the big stuff early?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Pulling the engine and then putting it back in is around $4000 in labor, doing the belts is only $1000 more. Doing all the water hoses is only a small adder on top.

If they have to pull either head, you have to do the belts anyway.

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I would think now would be a good time to do the belt change as well. Much of the cost is in the labor required to remove the engine. The parts are relatively inexpensive.

4. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    Thats the information I was looking for, thanks!

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Why do they have to pull the engine to check for a leak? Unless the head gasket is blown you should be able to track down were the oil is coming from. Even if the head gasket was blown you would know because there would be water in the oil. It is either the cam covers, front or rear cam seals, the front engine seal (were the timing chain is), or the bottom of the engine. If they are telling you that you have to pull the engine to find a leak, I my opinion they are setting you up, so that they get you to do a major service before you need to. If it is the cam covers that are leaking you don't have to pull the engine to replace the cam cover gaskets. It just gives you more room to work with, but you DO NOT need to pull the engine to do that. However if it does turn out to be that the timing chain cover is the culprit then the engine would have to be pulled, also if it is the cam seals. So BEFORE they do anything I would have them find and SHOW YOU were the leak is coming from. THEN decide on what you wanna do. I bet it is the cam cover gaskets.

6. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    Good Points. Brian thinks it's just the cam cover gasket, if so he can do what needs to be done without dropping the engine. I'll know later this week, but we did have the "what are the other possible culprits" discussion last winter and far down the list was a couple of things that might require he pull the engine. On the plane this morning it dawned on me that if worse case happens and the engine does get dropped it might make sense to have belts and tensioners replaced early. Brian did NOT suggest an early service.
    I let you know what we find out.

Thanks again

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Brian is not familiar with 348. You cannot do the cam seals without taking it all apart and dropping engine. Anyone should be able to do a proper diagnosis and find the leak. Find a new mechanic.

8. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Yep. I had leaky cam seals on my Mondial t and the engine was out to replace them last month. It was a no-brainer to do the belts as well even though they were only 2.5 years old.

Regards
    Andrew in NZ

9. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    Actually he's been working on these for years, I'm the one who can't keep the details straight. Cam seals were one of the "possible culprits" we discussed - I'll let you know what he finds.