All Things Come to Light After All... | FerrariChat

All Things Come to Light After All...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Hubert, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    In retrospect, this weekends GP really (and I mean really) brought something to a vibrant light for me... I'm witnessing an era of unrivaled greatness in Formula 1 history, and I'm damn lucky. For all the speculation about MS that was going on after the (relativly) 'difficult' 03 season, and all the wild rumors (suggestions) that MS should retire, because: he's past his prime; that he'll be contested and beaten by the new lot of younger driver; that he's ruining the competative spirit; etc. I really enjoyed watching this GP and reflecting on all the above. MS truely has shown that he is F1 (much like Senna was). This weekend also, unilaterally, showed his dominance over his team-mate; there's no doubt now, that RB should just STFU about besting MS, ever. It isn't going to happen. Schumi blasted off, at will, a series of consequtive 1:20.xxx laps while Button was in the pits ... how was RB stuck behind traffic all that time ... in the same car??? If you think about it with a clear mind, unabated by bias, and jealously, you'll realize that we're all sharing in a monumental era of one of the sports most talented drivers. As far as Schumi's arrogance, I think it's clear that the man has every right to 'bask' in the limelight that the fruits of his labor have afforded him. He knows he's faster, and he has every right to make it know; nonetheless, he still gave Jenson his due respect.
    Anyway, just wanted to share.
    Hubert

2. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    the one that should STFU is JPM. What a whining crybaby, not to mention hypocrite. He ran his own teammate into the grass. What an a**hole.

3. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    To wit: And after the press conference, I've got even more reason to genuinly dislike JPM.
    JPM is a hypocrite. He's a hypocrite because he did exactly what MS did to him, to his team mate on exit of the same corner. He chopped MS and tried to force MS off line on turn. That particuar hairpin is a late apex, and considering the adjustment MS had to make after JPM nearly got into him at turn in, I'm not suprised MS went out that far. Either way, it looked like a race incident to me. JPM's whining doesn't change the fact that he attacked MS before the corner, and MS had more than a nose-length lead coming into it. JPM thought he could dive bomb into MS, rattle him, get him to lift and make the pass. Apparently, MS didn't see it that way, and kept his line. While JPM may have exceptional raw speed, he's an *******. While JPM may speak his mind, he surely doesn't practice what he preaches.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    As far as the "arrogance", Mr. Michael Schumacher has the absolute right to have his nose in the air as he raises his trophies. He has earned the right to behave the way anyone does when they rule their profession. I did when I was with ADT. I acted like I owned the place, and why not? I made the most sales with the lowest cancellation rate in the province. I must have told a billion stories of how I closed deals on the front of a house drinking beer with people on there knees thanking me. Now think, I made ok money for a kid and I didn't have any real skill. Michael Schumacher has true talent, he has worked and twisted this ability to make him one of the best drivers to ever live. He also keeps working and twisting away from the track to keep him ahead of any other driver. He earns his millions by risking his life everytime he gets in that car, which is often. He can pound out intensely hot laps while other drivers lose time. It bothers me to think that some people think it's easy or fun to do what he does. He has fun alright but I don't think it's in the car. I think he has the fun after the race. During a session in an F1 car you must focus and know you are good or a thought might cross your mind that you aren't the best. And that can spell doom in the greatest sense. F1 drivers are much like boxers, they have to think they can do it or they would never fight. Personally when I race I am a prick, I have to let people know that I'm not about to tell a joke or enjoy being touched on the shoulder. {Without actually getting into a discussion about it} A state of mind goes a long way in protecting these men among men. And if the unthinkable happens, they know what they do, and I don't think they would have it any other way.

~~~

5. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    I think a lot of Shuey's arrogance has been replaced with self assuredness. I really don't see that swaggering arrogance that so often accompanies some drivers. When you have nothing more prove, there's no need for arrogance.

And I agree, these are very special times. Clark, Senna, Fangio, Stewart and Shuey are the stuff of legends. Long after he retires, we'll be telling out grand kids about him when they bring up their generation's latest hot shoe.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What slays me is how "cool as a cucumber" most of these guys are during Press Conferences after qualifying or races - almost as if they had a ho-hum day at the office.

"It's going to be an interesting race"
    Next Day
    "It was an interesting race."
    =
    "It's going to be an interesting copy machine"
    Next Day
    "It was an interesting copy machine."

7. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That was indeed awsome. I was just sitting there in awe at was I was seeing.

I do wish there would've been more action in the pass, but whatever, he got ahead, so the result is good.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Somehow, as Michael got close to the BAR before the first round of pit stops, I sensed exactly what the situation was going to be after that round, and that the race would effectively be over. And, of course, that's what came to pass..........

F1 may be rather boring at the front, but if its your team that's doing the dominating, it's not that bad. I'm enjoying this so much more than 1988!

(And since the two cars in my garage are a Honda and a Ferrari, I find the fact that BAR-Honda is becoming one of the main threats to Ferrari to be somewhat amusing.)