1995 F355 oil? | FerrariChat

1995 F355 oil?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Merdav, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    How bad is it being a half to a quart overfull, past the MAX line?
    (Next time I'll read the owners manual before adding to a cold engine)

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You may find that the exhaust may burn it and smoke. Mine did when i over filled it.In fact if you can drain some. It should hold 10 litres, well thats UK liters, i think the USA has different mesurements.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Interesting. I would think that (guessing here) that as long as there is still room in the reservoir you should be allright.

Wouldn't it be a bigger problem to add enough oil to overfill the reservoir and add undue pressure to the system?

I'm sure there is somebody here who knows for sure.

4. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's easy to over fill a 355 because the reservoir has multiple chambers. I know on mine if you dont run the car before checking your oil level then the oil is in the other chamber and the dipstick comes up low.

-Michael

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Right, but at what point does it cause damage. Is there any room for error, or are you screwed once you get slightly over max?

6. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Did you buy that green 355 from Expo in Houston?

7. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

It will really smoke when the oil is hot and expands in the tanks. I did it last year and the car looked like a crop duster after I pullled away from a light. No damage and I just drained a the oil out of the tank with a turkey baster.

8. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Expo in Houston is a yes. Had it picked up last Saturday, got it Thursday, just in time for the NY ROE on Saturday. I love it, had it sent to Ferrari of Houston for inspection 1st. They found abour $1500 worth of minor repairs needed. Expo paid for all of it!

9. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I went down and looked at that car. It was in I thought great shape. It had the dash leather shrinkage and I found some paint work on the right front (had dirt under the paint) but great service records from Ferrari North Carolina (forieign cars itialia), and in excellent shape for a 95. Congrats!

10. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi Jim, they also had that part of the front end reparied for me. And deducted $500 off the price for not having the alarm key fobs (I'm not even sure if this car has a factory alarm anyway". The dash leather does has shrinkage, and I'm not sure how to fix that yet, but I've been told many of the 355's get it.
    I put over 200 miles on it this weekend and it runs like a champ. If you look at some of the posts from this weekends NY ROE there are about 15 pics of it here online:).
    Anyway thanks very much.-MICHAEL

11. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I've seen Michael's 355 crusing down the LIE and that green (I don't know the official name) is simply an amazing color under the sun. The car is in spectacular condition. He's got my vote for 'people's choice'.

See pictures here:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15937&page=1

12. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Thank you very much Ken. You are obviously a man of discrimanating and impeccable taste :). No really, thank you, it's very flattering having other Ferrari owners vote for my car. Although I didn't expect anyone to vote for my car with so many beautiful cars at the ROE, I've heard I really did get some other votes besides mine and my wifes! I'd love to know how many but I guess thats kinda of vain.