A Lotus Dino | FerrariChat

A Lotus Dino

Discussion in 'British' started by E-SPRIX87, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E-SPRIX87

E-SPRIX87 Rookie

Apr 20, 2004
    Unionville, PA
  2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I wonder how much money he spent on this car, i bet he could have bought a genuine Ferrari with what he spent.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ok, that's just cool.

The Dino shape with Lotus handling and upkeep costs. That actually might be worth trying...

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I want to say, a dino built on a modern elise platform would be killer.

5. E-SPRIX87

E-SPRIX87 Rookie

Apr 20, 2004
    Unionville, PA
    Well the series 1 Elises were said to have been designed based on some of the past Lotuses like the 11 and 23, but one of the designers in a British auto magazine said his true inspiration was the Ferrari Dino. I remember the magazine put the Dino and Elise next to each other, and some of the same themes of design were more evident when each model were side by side. In my eyes the first Elise is a true Elise, the new Elise is aggresive but it kinda looks like a Japanese toy.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee what a waste of a rare car!!! ... although I guess it could be put back together.

Man Lotus people are going to be real pissed at this guy!!, Europas are not exactly common cars ...

Pete

7. DinoLotus

DinoLotus Rookie

Jul 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Mirylees
    Came across this old thread on my car and felt that I had to respond to set things straight.
    The web address for the car is actually now: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/gallery/DinoEuropa (BT who hosted the site stopped hosting personal webs)
    The whole conversion was extremely cheap (1985) using an old Europa for the base unit and taking the mold off the 206GT that I had available. total cost was a small fraction of a Dino at the time.
    Yes, it would be easy to revert to it being a total Europa, Colin Chapman only used 6 or 8 mounting bolts to secure a Europa body to the chassis (one of the reasons that the project was undertaken in the first place).
    It is cheap to run, has been glorious fun for the last 34 years, doesn't rust (or corrode as did the 2016GT!), can be used every day in the rain!
    The paintwork nowadays is showing it's age but a re-spray would cost more that the car and I probably wouldn't drive it as much if it was pristine.
    Oh, and when I took it to an FOC meeting in 1986, due to it being a 'one off', the comments were all positive at it was ushered into line with the concours Dino's...
    and: It has always been accepted at Lotus meetings in the UK for what it is: A Lotus Europa with a modified bodyshell. (the Lotus factory ran a couple of articles on it back in the 80's)
    I hope this answers questions, said and unsaid.
    David

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thanks for posting here. What a great looking car. Do you still have the dino molds? Dis you have to alter the proportions to fit the europa chassis.

9. DinoLotus

DinoLotus Rookie

Jul 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Mirylees
    I got a company to aid my taking the molds off the 206GT with the agreement that they could keep the molds and my body, bonded to my Europa floorpan would be free of charge. I know they started to produce a kit but as they had no expertise in the field the result was awful and soon went out of business. I don't know where those orginals are today.
    The Europa wheelbase is perfect for a 246GT - as I used the 206GT I had to 'adjust' the rear wheel arch position to be correct as the 206GT was slightly shorter. Other than that everything else was pretty much identical (firewall, pedals, steering etc etc.) It was a simple conversion, most of the time was taken up fabricating the hinges and odds from the Dino but as it was sitting next to the Dino-Europa life was pretty easy.
    I have been led to believe that it is possible that De Havilland may have molds from the original molds in their possession.

10. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    That is easily the best looking Europa in the world! ;)

I like it! And I agree -- the simplicity, handling, and running/maintenance of a Europa mated with the gorgeous looks of a Dino is a great combination. If the Europa looked like that, I would buy two!