What's the highest speed you have ever been in your Ferrari? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

What's the highest speed you have ever been in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mesoscale, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dartman

dartman Rookie

Mar 10, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yes, that's at Max GTOW 396 tonnes, ( about 855,000 lbs )
    And yes, for CX. I like the user name,

dartman

2. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    #152 matterhorn762, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    170+ 02 996 Carrera.

73 freeway south coming from the 55.

I have done it a few times. My front bumper is pretty chipped up. I doubt I will be taking the new 360 (when it arrives) that fast because I dont want rock chips.

4. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Daytona, Bike Week, 1994 or 5. My buddy Joe and I got sick of the Harleys and decided to see the rest of Florida on our ZX-11s. When we got to Alligator Alley, we opened them up and did a sustained 180+ --at night. The bikes loved the cooler, dense night air. There was fog hanging about 6 feet off the deck. The high beams reflected down from it and bounced back up off the blacktop and lit up the road ahead for what seemed like miles. It was unreal.

We stopped at what I think was the only intersection, and a cop cruised by slowly. Heh. Pic was taken earlier in the day. There' s a few more, but they are a bit too explicit for here.

Also screamed across the Big Island on rented Yamaha R6s at 150+, where road conditions allowed. Simply beautiful. At one point there was an airfield close to the road, and a small plane was coming in for landing. We rode in its shadow for a while.

5. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Mach 2.1 (1,350mph) in a Concorde! Got most of you beat ......

155 in an NSX ..... the factory rear spoiler was flapping like a piece of paper and I was certain another couple miles faster the car was going to swap ends or get airbourne ...... at 140 very stable .... but deadly at 155.

Have yet to drive my newly purchased 550 past 135 or so .... need to get out of Los Angeles and away from these conjested freeways .... and out into the desert to see if the spec sheet (199mph) is really telling the truth. Actually, plan to see maybe 170 ... 199 is too scary that close to the ground .... but based on what it feels like at 135 ... I'm sure it's rock solid all the way to redline.

6. Tom C

Tom C Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had my Enzo Ferrari up to 217mph on the main straight at Nurburgring... of course it was on Project Gotham Racing II.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It is. I touched 191 in my last one (ran out of road before 200) :(

Is that your car in your Avatar? :D The Hotties on the hood car????? :D You're my new hero!!!

DL

8. greg

greg Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2004
    Tyler, Tx
    In West Texas there are lots of straight, flat roads. The fastest I ever went was 150 mph in a Mercedes 500E and a '88 Lotus Esprit.

9. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    were you missing the front lower lip? that would have explained why it felt unstable. i've maxed out my nsx at 168 and it was very stable.

10. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Nsxnick ....

I'm not joking about the spoiler issue ...... it was in my 1991 (part of the first ones imported ... serial # 000414). I looked in the rearview mirror at 155 and saw the spoiler as a blur ... it was vibrating that bad ... and the stability of the car radically changed as I approached this speed. Told the service manager at the Acura dealership about this ... he refused to believe me ... told him ..." OK, get in .... I'll show you" ... he chickened out. I'm sure the newer ones fixed this problem..... mine had a bit more left in it... but was too unstable to go any faster ......

Darth550 ........

Yes ... my car ... but "lifted" the picture from the sellers e-bay listing. So... can't claim she's my girlfriend.

11. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Hey, you can do better than that! :D
    I got it to 162, but not on camera.

12. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    120 mph for 40 minutes in my WRX on the Northern End of the New York State Thruway.

115 in my Maserati Khamsin on the 1st Bull Run.

110 in my E Skeeter on Green Bay, Wisconsin:
    http://www.pyc.org/iceboat2.jpg

70 mph in my Nite on Bantam Lake, CT:
    http://pages.cthome.net/esigns/nites.jpg

70 mph in my Standart Landyacht at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I beat you by 5 :)
    p.s. your Maserati sounds AMAZING.

14. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Zjpj - Aren't WRXs great cars?

The Khamsin is also a blast, once you learn how to tame the hydraulic steering, clutch and brakes.
    It's got the Gandini looks, the Maser 450S racecar roar of an engine, and great handling (2 turns lock-to-lock).

I've learned to expect different from a classic Maserati when compared with a Ferrari. To quote Martin Buckley from the 4/04 issue of evo, "A True Maserati should be slightly aloof and apart from the general run of supercars, a bit rarer and more restrained, an unapologetically hedonistic but not flabby GT with no pretensions to being a competition car."

The Khamsin is a screaming deal. Here's one:
    http://www.maseratinet.com/DEFAULT/class_Khamsin.asp
    (It has the Euro headers, but needs the Euro Bumpers & Rear Lights)
    The Khamsin has comparable performance to the 365 GTC/4 and so far (knock wood) seems cheaper to run.

15. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    How about 189 mph on the speedo of my 2004 Yamaha R1 on RT25 outside of Hollister, Ca last week, 198mph on radar at Daytona last year on a 190hp Suzuki GSXR1000, 160mpn with the top down in my 355 spyder, 195mph in a 1990 F40(my buddy paid 1 million for it in 1990 ouch!) 175mph in my 930 turbo and last but not least 138mph in my AMG CLK55. Note that I know the exact speed because the New Jersey State Trooper was kind enough to show me the Vascar ticket after he stuffed me in his backseat for transport.

By the way 198mph around Daytona on a bike is the sickest thing anyone on this Forum will ever experience. I highly suggest a track day at that track if you get the chance( car or bike).Tunnel vision and thoughts of blown tires tend to liven up the whole program.

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

16. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Good job my friend, 180MPH, did it max out? I have yet to get mine above 167 or so due to lack of road. I know how it feels above 145MPH, 180 must have felt awesome!

Cheers,

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    150+ Lamborghini Countach Coming up on traffic.
    170ish Suzuki Hayabusa No more guts in the city.
    170+ Suzuki GSXR-1100 No more road.
    140 Ducati 748 Mono. No more breath.

65 Lamborghini Diablo SE 30 We will have to wait.

18. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Speedy_Pete .......

Would love to hear the whole story of your experience ... what happened, what it cost .... etc., etc.....

You raised an issue I've always wondered about ...... you hear stories about when going over a certain limit they'll arrest you ...... My only "very" high speed verses Cop experience was in my new Porsche back in 1984...... Left Las Vegas heading up I-15 on my way to Denver on Christmas Day ... was also 30 years old back then ...... headed out very early in the morning and some inner monster took over .... was flying 100 to 140 for at least two hours maybe 3 ..... passing on the right shoulder, left shoulder and a few times right up the middle between two cars (pre cell phone days) .... yes I went nuts but it sure was fun ..... besides, I blew past the slower cars before they knew what had happened ..... got about 30 miles south of the I-70 turn off heading east ..... before seeing my first cop who was coming from the opposite direction (I had no radar detector) .... a few seconds later I saw a giant dust cloud in my rear view mirror as the cop hit the center dirt strip turning around to get me........ pulled me over .... asked me how fast I thought I was going.... I said "oh, maybe 85" .... to which he yelled back "my radar showed 120 and you were slowing down fast"..... oops........ I explained traffic was light and it was Christmas day ...... he wrote me for 85 ... and this was in the old 55 mph days..... years later wished I hadn't asked for a speed reduction...... would've liked framing a ticket showing 120 + ........ Oh well. Now... for everyone reading this ..... I'm much better now ... but I also just bought my first Ferrari, a 550 Maranello...... and something inside is trying to get out again....... Oops !

One other thing Pete ...... I consider anything over 120 on a bike as borderline suicidal ..... this coming from someone who can relate to everything else you've done ....

19. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I did in excess of 165 mph on the 15 going to Las Vegas, Nevada in my 250GTO.

20. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    280 has space. One night last week, 4.30am, on the straight ~3 miles long before alpine on 280N, a friend and I stop and turn off ASR. We just wanted to see how many gears it would spin through. W/o even realizing it, I ended up at redline 5th (~175) before letting off, and the car had LOTS left in it.

Plenty of room left to keep going or slow down depending on what you wanted to do.

--Dan

21. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Dan,

You must wake up early :)

Somewhere north of the posted speed limit, i was taking the pic.

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    V-man: was on my way home from Los Gatos... :D I think you know how hard it is for me to wake up on time. ;)

--Dan

23. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    170 mph in my mondiat t cab, top down, on the autobahn from singen to stuttgart (germany).

24. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I used to roll out my Rebuilt Ducati Roche 888 bike. (170 rear wheen hp on the dyno with a 367 lb motorcycle) late at night and go for a ride on the interstate wheen the traffic was light. The only problem was that you were over driving the headlight above 160. The bike slips a little when crossing the white lines in the lanes and they look like one solid line then. grat fun.
    I am shopping for a 550/575 now and I still keep comparing that experience to the Ferrari and it keeps me looking for more. I want to do the same in a car. My friend with an F40 tells me that is what it will take, but my budget is more of a Maranello. Dilemna, dilemna.
    Gary

25. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com