Is this a good trade-in for an F355? | FerrariChat

Is this a good trade-in for an F355?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MikeyEvo, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeyEvo

MikeyEvo Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    Hi all

My Dad is trading his F355 gts in against a Merc SL55 AMG and the dealer has offered him £41k for it. The car is a 95M in red with black leather, 17k miles, 2 owners from new and full Ferrari history. It is in exceptional condition.

Is this a good or bad price would you say? Any ideas what he could get for it privately?

Many thanks

Mike

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    STOP YOUR DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dealer is ripping him off! He will be able to get the price it is worth if he sells it on his own. What ever you do DO NOT let him take the dealers offer.

On a side note. Just for kicks, I once took my 348 to a dealer here in the states just to see what kind of idiotic offer they would give me. They offered me $25K U.S. That is about 13K Sterling. I called the guy an idiot and walked out.

3. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This particular Merc is a great car but bad news money wise. The dealer is making 5k to 10k on the 355. Your dad would do much better getting the Merc as a private buy and selling the 355 likewise. Even if he just sold the 355 to a dealer and did a private buy on the Merc he'll do better.

4. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    While no car is a good investment, Ferrari depreciation is pretty stable/predictable, whereas SL55s have been hemorrhaging money recently (£25K over list down to £65K in the space of a year or two).

The dealer has offered a low price for the F355. How much is the SL55 ?

5. MikeyEvo

MikeyEvo Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    The SL55 is brand new, so is listed at circa £95k......

Thanks for the opinions so far. Does anybody have a decent guide as to what trade in, private sale and retail should be? I have no Glasses guide unfotunately!

THanks

Mike

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I 'm hearing you can buy the MB way under list and the 355 price is there or thereabouts as far as trade value goes. Give Karl Verdi a call on 8 756-0066 to discuss further if you need some help.

7. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    As Tony said you can get the Merc way under list and very good low milage second hand ones have been hit by 25k to 30k already. The AMG 55 is a very good car but hasn't held it's money well.

8. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    I agree with TonyH, don't pay list for an SL55.. you can get them for under that now.

I reckon your father could get at least another £5,000 for his car, and perhaps save another £5,000 on the purchase price of his SL55 (Lapworths have unregistered cars for £89,995)

I appreciate he wants a new car, but how about an almost-new one ? He can get one with say 3,000 miles on the clock for £15,000 less.. and personally I couldn't justify that premium for just 3,000 miles.

9. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    From what I have seen very clean 95 cars can be retailed at about £50-£52k depending on what needs to be done. Dont accept £41k !!!!

10. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Its a low offer, but then again, all trade offers are disappointing. Would undoubtedly get more privately; presumably the Merc will take a while to be delivered, why not advertise the car on the FOC's website or via a dealer like KHPC or Verdis on a commission basis. The car would retail at over £50k.

With regards to paying list on the SL55, I'd resist- the initial fuss has died down, and supply now exceeds demand. SL has build quality issues, which could also impact on used demand.

On the subject of disappointing offers, I was offered £30k (LOL) on an indicative basis for my '99 355 GTS w 13k on the clock against a 996 C2 (part of me wants a car that I can take my wife and daughter along in too). Needless to say, negotiations stopped right there.

Robert.

11. MikeyEvo

MikeyEvo Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
  12. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now that you mention (on ebay) the belts are due in a few months the 41k starts to look a little better.

13. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Adding some photos to your ebay advert would really help.

Also try putting an advert on www.pistonheads.com its free and there is a good audience.

I would also try selling it to a Ferrari dealer. Verdi's as mentioned, Maranellos etc etc and then the independents.

Unless you're made of money, a few hours phoning around could save you thousands. :)

14. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Yep, definitely needs some pictures.

Heck, if I were in the market for a F355 GTS I'd snap this one up.

15. MikeyEvo

MikeyEvo Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks all. I'll do some phoning about. Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to get any pictures up, which is not good. Oh well, I'll just have to see how it goes.

16. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    How much work/money spent (in receipts) have you had done on this car since '97 when u bought?

17. MikeyEvo

MikeyEvo Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    Up to now, and I'm probably missing out the odd thing, £12,700 has been spent since 1997. However, in that time it has done only 8000 miles.......

Also, I should point out that although the belts will need doing, the car has done less than 1200 miles since they were last changed. Blimey.

18. MikeyEvo

MikeyEvo Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks for the advice guys. Sold it for a couple of grand more today to an independent dealer

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Good news, nice one.

20. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Mikeyevo,

May i be so bold to ask who was the lucky Independant???

21. MikeyEvo

MikeyEvo Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    TBH, I don't think that would be appropriate. Professional courtesy and all that ;)

Why I am protecting a dealer I do not know.......

22. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert

Oooh, go on. You never know, there might be a buyer on these pages.

The dealer won't mind...:)

Robert.