Testarossa Comments Please | FerrariChat

Testarossa Comments Please

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by lencap, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Help please. I am interested in purchasing a Testarossa, but EVERYONE tells me not to do it. "Too expensive, no fun to drive, too big" and similar comments, and then there are the "It will cost a fortune to maintain" "No resale value", etc. etc.

I have always admired this car, and I'd like to hear from actual owners. Please, tell me the good, the bad and the ugly.

2. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Get one IT IS A BLAST! we have a 951 Porsche, 1980 350 hp Vette, Rolls, Jag V12 and the TR IS THE MOST FUN TO DRIVE.
    They are a bit pricey to maintain, BUT Get a GOOD ONE and you are in for a real thrill.
    http://www.leatherique.net/new_baby.htm This is a link to our "NEW BABY"
    ALSO TRY THIS: http://www.modena-motors.com/TR%20Buyers.htm
    and
    http://www.red-headed.com/
    Good luck
    George P.

3. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    I have a tr and I must say that when we convoy at car club meetings the car that gets the most looks and most attention is still the tr. I have a tubi exhaust and it makes the hair stand up on the back of your hands/ only joking/ at 4000+ rpm it is awesome. Torque is great just be sensible with regular servicing. You can not get a better car for the money imo. Tony

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I had a 1989 TR for almost 5 years before buying my 360. Still, one the most sexist cars on the road. It is a real beauty and fun to drive. Turns alot of heads. I had no complaints at all with mine. It was a 100 point cart and sold it for top dollar in 11/00. Only had 8,800 miles and had it serviced for the belt change. Take your time a look for a nice one. They are out there.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As you know I totally concur with the others on how great the TR is. But do learn all you can about them, because "surprises" can be expensive down the road. The only real pain is the major service every 5 to 7 years or so, but if your mechanically inclined you can do the work yourself and save a ton. They are wonderful cars and do command attention where every they go. The engines are very strong and reliable, with the only weak link being the transmission....not good to do burnouts in a TR. But if driven hard in the proper fashion they will hold up fine with no problems, like good shifting techniques and such. It takes some practice but I've gotten pretty smooth at shifting up or down, and besides it also gave me more reasons to go out and drive the darn thing. I also like the big size of the TR (by Ferrari standards) and think at times big guys in say an F355 look somewhat stuffed. Or at the track when helmets are required...you may see roof panel removed on a 348 and the guys head sticking up above the windshield header...kinda funny looking. If you have any specific questions please post them and I'm sure you'll get plenty of good information.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Lencap...

Although i'm not an owner, i've had unparalled hours of joy in the driver's seat of a Testarossa... They are truly beastly of cars... i can't say i know what the maintenance bill is like, though, however plenty of others here can share that grief with you... :)

If you've not yet driven one, go find one and drive it... Guaranteed, the drive will make the decision for you... Keep us posted and let us know which direction you go in...

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Buy what makes you happy, not what someone else tells you will make you happy.

8. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    I bought my '91 TR back in March. Upgraded from a 308i, and what a difference. Love the power of the TR, and all the pull from that beastly 12. But I miss the removeable roof that my 308 GTSi had. So far, no problems at all with the TR after 3000 + miles with me!! Drop the hammer and just do it!!

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I own 2 512TRs, I think its 1 of the most beautiful cars ever built, its also got a huge amount of power & more presence than any modern Ferrari. Its an enormous amount of fun to drive, I still get goose pimples after driving it & you get out with a spring in your step. Its definately not too expensive as this ius the lowest prices have ever been and they are not likely to fall much further so dont worry about resale values bcus all the depreciation has already happened. As for too big. Who told you that ? Some putz in a 6,000# SUV ? Shes a bit wide in back but as long as you keep that small fact in mind she's a lot smaller & an infinite amount better looking than a Hummer, Avalanche, or Escalade.

The only negative you stated that holds any water is that , yes she is in fact expensive to maintain. But even thats not too bad as long as you dont drive like me :) See my profile photo to see what I mean

This is why you must have a trusted mechanic do a pre purchase inspection before buying and have all the maintenance records in your hand before writing the check. To save yourself a wad of $ that you wont have to pay till year 2 or 3.

A clutch job can set you back around $2,000 a full 30,000 mile maintenance can cost $7,000 but you can save up for that so its not that bad. She does eat brake pads though. All considered its a great experience owning one of these mobile artworks. Forget the namby pamby naysayers and get what you want

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I bought one new and drove it 115K miles in rain, sleet, and snow as a daily driver. I loved mine. It cost all in about $2.5 a mile. I did a major every 15K miles and serviced by the book. Allan is right. Drive one and if YOU like it make YOURSELF happy.

11. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    WELL SAID, WILLIAM

HI JIM

12. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I'm very well mechanically inclined, but have mostly worked on American stuff before. Is there any reason not to attempt a belt job on the TR?

Ed

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No there isnt, a belt is a belt. The equipment necessary will depend on whether your TR is an early TR, a 512TR or 512M. The TR is the easiest as the engine drops out the bottom on a cradle, you will need a car lift & some sort of engine hoist to drop the engine out the bottom. Perhaps you can just unboldt the cradle w the engine & suspension & just lift the rest of the car.

On a 512TR or 512M the engine has to come out the top bcus the cradle in the TR was done away with to improve structural ridgity. So you will need an engine hoist & a lot of patience

14. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Its a 512TR. I'm mostly familiar with Corvettes (including the ZR-1, so I'm not afraid of cams).

Ed

15. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole TR series is one of their best cars ever and it is a piece of rolling art. I did have some niggling problems with my 1986 TR but I think a later model year would be a better bet in terms of reliability. As fas as the 512TR, that is the one I would reach for if it is in your price range...greatest performance/quality/enjoyment factor of any street Ferrari IMHO. The M is quite a bit more.
    I NEVER had any mechanical issues with my 512TR or now with my F512M. Every time I drive the car I am amazed by its presence and performance. You won't be disappointed!!!

Regards,

Mark

16. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    Lencap. I purchased a black 512tr last year and I can tell you that it,s an awesome car, with enormous presence , If your wallet can take the extra hit it,s a much better car. although I think their all awesome! The sound of a flat 12 with a tubi exhaust is as exotic as the car itself. As others have mentioned do your homework and have the car checked. Then do what your heart tells you . Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

17. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

I take it that the $2.5/mile includes the price of the car and gas etc? Or was this JUST the maintenence?

18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Yeahh, that's why I bought the car. I have a 91 red/tan TR (US). I was in high school when that car and Miami Vice came out. I love both of them...even though the show is gone....the car remains :)

Buy one! If you love the car like me, you will be happier paying more maintenance money for something you love than saving a few bucks (well...a few thousand ) on something that you truly don't desire.

Now If I only get the tall thin blonde :)

19. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Get it. Its equiv to legal drugs, even if you're married.