A Ferrari Offshore Powerboat! | FerrariChat

A Ferrari Offshore Powerboat!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Tipo815, Apr 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Ok. Maybe not a real Ferrari offshore powerboat but certainly one that Ferrari would be proud of IF they were to ever build one.

I was in Lake Havasu this past weekend with our offshore powerboat club. My business partner has always loved things red - mostly red cars and red trucks. He has yet to purchase a F-car but I think it is only a matter of time.

During the winter months (when we rarely boat) he decided to paint his 2003 Donzi 38ZR all red (it was white with red stripes). He changed the silver gauges to yellow and added chrome bezels. His goal was to create a boat that looked like a Ferrari on the water. In all honesty I thought he was nuts and that the boat was going to look ridiculous all red. However, I stand corrected! The boat is twice as good looking in person!

The end product was so much more than he even expected that he decided to carry the image one step further by having a Ferrari logo made with the name "Donzi" in place of the "S F." I told him to expect a letter from Ferrari the moment I posted this pic online!! :) He plans to take it off but it was good for a weekend of gags as every third person asked if it was a Ferrari or "when did Ferrari start making boats, etc."

Even if you may not be into offshore powerboats - you have to appreciate beauty - especially RED beauty! If Ferrari were to ever build it - it would definately look like this!

2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Amazing boat, what are the specs on it?

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Great pics,and not just of the boat,the location pics are great and sure makes me wish I lived in warmer climes.

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Well, I would rather have the cigarette next to it then the Donzi, I must admit that is one true speedboat. Looks as if it is taken in europe as well with the sterring wheel on the port side. It amazes me how they got the boat into that first slip, that takes some true driving skills with a bow that will pick up wind.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Here's mine. Serial # 1. Still going strong.

6. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Wow, impressive boats. How powerful are they? (I know very little about boats)

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mine's an antique re: hull design which is where it's at today. It has twin 650hp motors which makes it move ok for a 21 year old. When you round the tip of Manhatten and look out towards the Lady you feel proud to be an American.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Looks great and sure stands out compared to the rest of the boats. My only comment is that he should mix up the interior a little with some carbon fiber accents on the dash, console, etc. An idea for next winter!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Cigarette is #1! Proud to be American, indeed!!!
    The craft James has is of the same historical significance as
    the first Ferraris, IMO.

That said, Donzi has done a very good job with product developement, as shown in recent APBA Offshore race results.

We lost some great guys when the founder of Cigarette was murdered, and more recently when Steve Simon of Donzi was tragically killed in an auto accident in Sarasota.

The offshore scene has split this year because of divisive politics, into 3 series!!! The egos involved make Ferrari owners look humble by comparison.

I'd run a 36" Gladiator myself, if I could figure out which guys to get behind!
    (And then there's the matter of the $200K!)

I guess I'll sit in the stands, and cheer for the Texans in Hidden Agenda.

The problem with red is the sun fade, he better park in the shade when he's not running, or it's gonna take A LOT of elbow grease to wax that puppy!
    The project does look nice! The Coast Guard will spot him in no time if he needs 'em!

Speedy"Grinding glass in the garage"308

10. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Great looking boat. ALMOST makes me want to get back into offshore. :)

11. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I personally feel there is nothing like the feeling of opening up an offshore speed boat on a cool morning with calm waves. The wind, the engines, the water...so much enjoyment until it comes time to fill her up at the fuel dock within two hours:(.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    THat must be amazing to !! Do you often do that James ?

13. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Kenny - It is a 2003 Donzi 38ZR. Power is twin Mercury 575 Supercharged motors running through Bravo One XR outdrives. Top speed is about 96mph on the water. It is an awesome boat!

14. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    We were in Lake Havasu, Arizona. The weather was awesome - mid 90's all weekend. It's a beautiful lake.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Once a week in the summer. Come by and we'll go for a spin. There's nothing like NY Harbor from the water.

16. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Unbelievable-- 20 knots on a 30 foot sail boat seemed like 100-- can't even imagine going faster :).

17. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Actually, the Donzi 38ZR is only made with the steering wheel on the port (left) side of the boat. Most manufacturers do place the steering wheels on the right side. We were all in Lake Havasu, Arizona where this was shot.

18. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

can you just paint boats? I know most are fiberglass impregnated with a gel coat coloring right? Obviously you can sand and paint that, but what about chipping etc?

Looks great although all that red sort of makes my eyes hurt!

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Kenny
    These days that's slow. V Bottom Outerlimits go 161 and cats go even faster.
    I'm not talking about race boats, for only about a million you can buy an Outerlimit exactly like the one that set that record. Let me know if you're interested...

20. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I am personally a CIGARETTE fan as well. Have been since the first offshore powerboat I ever purchased. Mine is a 2002 Cigarette Gladiator powered by twin 500HP EFI motors. Runs about 90mph.

21. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Two running shots ...

22. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

WOW, that is gorgeous. I am obviously into cars. I am just getting into Harley's but I can see a love of boats coming soon hehehe.

Great pics, thank you.

Vasco.R

23. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Jeffrey:

Very beautiful boat you have, congratulations. How many gallons does she consume an hour? My antique 1969 Bertram Baron offshore cigarette is a gas hog with twin tuned 350 LT1s. She sucks down 55 gallons an hour when on it. I would assume your FI engines are a bit better with regards to gas consumption then that? Also, how does the cigarette take rough seas? Thanks in advance.

24. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Jim, I'll have two :)

25. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Nice ZR....the red looks beautiful, but going to be a pain to keep looking good, and protect from sun fade. I like the stock power in the ZR with those numbers.

Napolis is that an old 35 Mistress, or is it a 38 flat deck? Looks like a sweet classic ride. Did you add the extension boxes to it?

Yes, the speeds now are getting crazy. "Extreme Exhibit" the Nortech cat is here locally. Boat outran the helicopter at 160 MPH+ at the New York poker run last summer. Nice part is you don't have to worry about who's fastest locally.

I have fuel injected 502's in my Hustler. Gas mileage still sucks!! I use the military theory of "don't ask, don't tell".

Sport boats almost make Ferraris seem reasonable in terms of operating costs & repair costs.