How to inspect an F40 ? | FerrariChat

How to inspect an F40 ?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I hope to be looking at a few real live cars soon :) Ive heard the stock brakes are weak. How is the trans ? Any problem areas to look for ? Thanks

2. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Stock brakes are decidedly not weak, just ever so slightly biased to the rear, so brake in a straight line.

Clutch slave cylinders may leak after long periods of storage. First useage after many months (not just 3) storage wipes the seal across accumulated dry grime, then seal leaks, losing hydraulic pressure. Pull trans to repair.

Transmissions are strong. Clutch is very durable, but at the mercy of the driver's skill (or lack thereof).

I wish I had a parts manual with me. If someone does, post the turbo system page. Look on the RR shock tower. Follow the vacuum tubing between the intake manifold and the wastegate. In the middle of this line, attached to the RR shock tower, is a plastic solenoid valve. If it's not there, and a metal or brass one is, the boost has been modified. Be warry. This is not a deal breaker though.

Alternator upgrade in 1990.

Get it up in the air and drop the front and rear belly pans. Look for rust and potential frame damage.

I saw a variety of paint qualities when these cars were new, most quite good. So look carefully, slight paint errors may not indicate damage in the past.

Some cars interior of the rear bumper (lift the engine cover), you could see the Kevlar/carbon weave, later cars it's painted black.

Later cars may not be geared for 200 mph (ask Rick Doria), probably not an issue for most owners.

Basically, nothing else special other than typical Ferrari issues, such as regular maintenance. And just like any other car, a garage queen may have more issues than a driver. YMMV

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks Rob

4. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    There was a thread on this a few months ago with some real good info. You might want to do a search.

Rick