Differences between '92 and '93 348TS... | FerrariChat

Differences between '92 and '93 348TS...

Discussion in '348/355' started by JPF, Apr 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Has anyone noticed that the '92 and the '93 348 TS have some minor differences in their interiors? Specifically, the seats and doors? It looks like the door change carried over to later years, but the seats did not.

I would have thought that the '93, being the "Serie Special" would have just as supposting seats, but these look actually a bit less supportive in the lower leg area. Now, these are not the f40 carbon fiber seats that many SS models had, but are the so called "Frau" seats.

I thought it was sort of interesting. Anyone have any input or thoughts on this?

The '92 door: http://www.sportauto.cc/LG002Afer92blk/images/348_31.jpg
    The '93 door: http://www.sportauto.cc/D011fer93blk/images/ferrari_348_38.jpg

The '92 seat: http://www.sportauto.cc/LG002Afer92blk/images/348_33.jpg
    The '93 seat: http://www.sportauto.cc/D011fer93blk/images/ferrari_348_40.jpg

2. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    That's strange... I've only ever seen 348s with the '92 seat, the '93 seat you show looks not nearly as nice.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    interesting. I have only seen the 92 style. Perhaps those seats were redone?

The door thing is more interesting. I had never noticed the absence of the inner reccesses on later models. My 92 looked just like the 92 you have pictured.

Anybody out there with a 93?

4. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    The last picutre seat appears reupholstered. Never seen one like that.
    The two different door panels I have seen. No idea when they changed. Have to check my Spider how they look. The seats though, the second picutre does not look right! The headrest is totally off and on the backrest you can make out an area where the leather appears lose frm the seat.

5. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    #5 kenster888, Apr 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe the door style was changed beginning with the Speciale. The best picture I can find on mine showing the door.

The seat on the 93 is definitely not stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    hmmm, now the seat thing is making me nervous. I was considering that '93, but if the seats are screwed up I am not sureI want it. I wonder if there are any other F-chatters that have Specials with "frau"seats that could compare it.

7. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    OK, I spoke to the dealer who originally sold this car in '93 (Miller Mororcars in Greenwich, CT), and they told me that the optional (non-racing) seats on the Serie Special were padded differently than the ones in the "regular" 348s, so that would explain the difference.

Interesting, eh?

8. D-348

D-348 Karting

May 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Cochran
    I was just looking at another thread where the 348 GTS was being discussed, and the book "Original Ferrari V8" by Keith Bluemel was brought up. It's a great reference, with color photos of all the different versions of the car including pictures of the interiors.

The SS was a limited run of the 348, with regular '93 models also available. I think that the regular '93s had the more common seats that carried on to the '94s and later (my '94 Spider has the same doors and seats as the '93 you have pictured). I think that the SS had the F40 seats standard with the Frau seats optional. The first owner of the car must have simply ordered the softer seats, which I think were discontinued after the SS.

D.