Car Cloning | FerrariChat

Car Cloning

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ade, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I couldn't find a thread on this subject on F-chat (just searched) so I thought I'd start one up to see if anyone has had any bad experiences with respect to car clones.

From what I can gather, criminals seem to target Mercedes/BMWs/Porsches the most for cloning. They steal one of these cars and give it a new identity comprising of a V5/reg/Vin from a car they saw on an internet forum/at a dealership etc where they can get all this info from. They then sell them on making a huge profit (all profit!).

I was wondering whether the criminals had tried this technique with a Ferrari and I was wondering whether we as a community are at a high/medium or low risk. Without being overly paranoid, I think its worth being aware of the problem to make it as hard as possible for these criminals and to protect yourselves and your assets.

If someone does clone your car and gets a speeding fine etc - you are liable for this bill unless you can prove otherwise and there are a heap of other implications.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts and experiences?
    Ade

2. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Kinda makes sense for those who post photographs to continue blanking out number plates, but given the fact that it's not that difficult to find an approprite numberplate (just by visiting a dealer, or replying to a private advert in Autotrader and publications of that ilk) you ain't gonna stop 'em if they are motivated....

3. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    As you've mentioned most robbing b@astards go for the Beemers, I find people can't even open the door on my car without being pointed to the handle. Even if they get in and away I think the attention the car draws might be a bit off putting for a thief. And then you've got insurance to cover it all.

Rick

4. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have experienced a 'clone'. The car was not my own but whilst at Karl's in Hayes they had received a letter from the Met regarding a speeding very close to Tower Bridge. The car in question had been parked in Hayes that night behind other cars.

I saw a letter being typed to the plod going through all the peculiarities of the car including model/scuderia shields/tinted glass/challenge grill/wheels/numberplate originator, etc. Until then I had never realised how important it was to know all the peculiarities. I heard later the owner got a letter from the police for carrying in case he got stopped stating he was the true and rightful owner.

Hope this helps the rest of you

Izza

5. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Back in 91 my dad bought a BMW 7 series from a dealer in Scotland. The car was their demo car so had been registered with them for a few months.

Anyway when the car was due its first service be booked it into a dealer in London. Next morning he got a call from the police saying his car had been found in Scotland. The car had been involved in an accident and had burst into flames, and was probably a write off.

He called the dealer and started yelling at the service manager (as you would if your new car had been stolen from their garage!). Service manager listerned to my dad for 5 mins before saying Mr Rasool good news, I have your car here in front of me!

Turns out someone had stolen a car in the same colour in scotland, and put our plates on the car. They had driven it around for months without anyone realising the vehicle was stolen. It was bad luck that the driver crashed the car and got caught.

6. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Thats a very good point! Helps prevent car jacking

I wonder whether Theives are too worries to hijack Ferraris, due to basically sticking out like a sore thumb after the event... a Beemer can blend in much easier.