I just drove a Maserati Quattroporte.............. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I just drove a Maserati Quattroporte..............

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by kizdan, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Dan, How reliable has the Maserati Coupe' been? Has Maserati been responsive to warranty claims? Are parts readily available for Coupe'? I am just curious to find out more about Maser's reliabilty.

The new Quattroporte is a great looking car. Like other magazines have reported, the holes on the side need to go but besides that, it is a stunning vehicle. I figured it would handle extremely well due to the weight configuration. What did you think of the Jaguar XJR? I have driven many XJ's in the past but the new XJR seems to be the real deal. A good deal when compared to the other cars.

If anyone wants to see some pictures of the new Quattroporte go to www. autoweek.com

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Nothing on the 612 yet, but am very anxious to drive one. Magazines who have gotten their hands on one have nothing but great things to say about them.

I don't think that the 612, being only a 2-door, will be redundant. I don't think anyone who is looking for a sedan would buy a 4-seat coupe instead. Also, pricing is quite different for the 2 cars, the 612 costing more than double that of a Q-Porte..

3. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Reliability on the Maser Coupes and Spyders has been excellent. I typically will deliver a car, and then not see it again until it comes in for an oil change. As far as I know, Maserati has been very responsive to warranty claims. Parts that are not in stock usually ariive the next business day.

The XJR is a very classic design, and they have done a good job at tastefully updating it. It is a little tight on the inside, and that J-gate has got to go. I don't think I've ever seen that much wood in a car though, very classy! The car has good power, but using a supercharger to make that power, it takes a second to spool up before it kicks in. The Jag needs a supercharger for it's 4.2-liter motor to get the same power that Maserati achieves without one. I'll take a normally aspirated motor over an artificially aspirated motor any day. The Jag is quite floaty on a road course. In fact, it was the only car that someone spun out in on our road course.

4. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I am excited to hear that Maser's reliability doesn't seem to be an issue. Be sure and let us know when you get a Quattoporte in. I think I read that dealers were going to get some demos before they officially go on sale. Is that correct?

5. Formula1

Formula1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 3, 2003
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mr. Pole Smoker
    I am in the process of trading in my '02 911 targa for a Gransport or possibly a Q-porte. I am used to porsche type quality and reliability. But I drove an 04 coupe and fell in love. Then I saw the gransport and immediatley put a deposit. How is reliability now on these cars as an only car (city car) no more than 5,000 miles per year? Also, how different is the ride between the q-porte and the coupe? I am going back and forth between the two? Any help woud be greatful. Also any idea on gransport pricing, production? Will this car have better resale value because of the limited production?

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Hopefully we'll have a demo by the end of May. Customer cars should start coming in around September.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    unfortunately i believe the maser will fail in marketplace because lux buyers are interested in comfort, reliability, and style with performance a lesser factor. based on usa reviews of euro car, the qp is not comfortable, the trans is a problem even if improved from original ferrari, and its style (to be polite) is controversial. amg, m, s, xjr give similar performance with better practicality.

i wish ferrari could concentrate on only the exotic midengine $200k pure sports car market and leave maser to make the gt's like 612/575/etc then maybe take on porsche in sub $100k market. fiat $ will need to keep maser afloat in usa or it will be gone again.

8. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    Marketing = customers: Maserati will produce 2000 QP in the following monthes, EVERY car are sold! And there is probably a lot of synergy in the R&D department = cost savings. Globally I think the strategy is well managed.

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Got an invite from Ferrari Maserati of New England for Re-Grand Opening of their showrooms on 5/02 and they will have a Quattroporte there. Think I will go check it out

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The ride on the Q-Porte is slightly softer, and I mean slightly, both cars being incredibly compliant over any surface thanks to the Skyhook adaptive suspension.

They had a pearl white Grand Sport at the training session, and it just blew me away! Gorgeous! Pricing has not yet been finalized. Productions totals neither. I would have to imagine that resale would be stronger on a car with more limited production.

11. Formula1

Formula1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 3, 2003
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mr. Pole Smoker
    Did you drive the Gransport? I am ordering mine in the pearl white as well. From what I hear, it is miles ahead of the regular coupe in terms of handling (due to it being lowered) and its gear box (35% quicker shifts). Any driving thoughts?

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I did not get to drive it. The pearl white is gorgeous, that would be my color choice as well. The car is basically a "Stradale" version of the Maser Coupe, so I would expect all performance areas to be enhanced. I can't wait to drive it!

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    two of my good friends have s55s,,very fast and very boring... with boring mb styling...zero passion..as for reliablity..mb stinks these days nothing but trouble...they finished 16 th inthe jd power survery for intial quality in 03!!!very car mag that has tested a mb long term has complainedabout numberous problems and both my friend s with s55 have had serious electrical glitches earily on....my 360 spider has been completely trouble free in the same time....so lests not talk about mercedes and ferrari/ maser inthe same sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. LesMurcielago

LesMurcielago Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
    You think the S55 AMG's styling is boring?

No, (as with most Mercedes-Benzs') it's just executed tastefully and stylishly. Yes, I agree that the Quattroporte has more soul but it's not the only "super sedan" out there.

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    yes it is boring!!!!it looks like every other lexus,acura rl, s500,and on and on...and frankly , the s55, while very fast for its size, is boring to drive... the engine sound is subdued. an d the steering feels numb...

16. LesMurcielago

LesMurcielago Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
    Because you own a 360 Modena, you think every car on the road is boring besides the Maserati/Ferrari?

Well if that is the case, I think the 360 Modena looks boring compared to my Murcielago.

Seriously though, it's a large super luxury sedan. What else out there (besides the Maser) tops the S55?

17. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I'll bite.. the S600 :D

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    During my last trip to Beijing a couple of weeks ago, everyone, and I mean everyone, had either an S600 or a 760Li. BMW sold 1000 of the V12's into China last year. It was their number one market for the car world wide.

I had a W140.500 Benz. Good, but nothing to get excited about. The new ones are too gimickey.

I want something different.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have talked to some other folks who were at the NY intro. They all say that this car will surprise you. Me, I'm not interested in a sedan, but if I were...

20. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    How about the new V10 BMW M5. If I was looking for 4 doors, That and the Maserati would be my only choices.

21. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Every manufactured automobile, everyone, has some problems with some of their cars. Rolls Royce Corniche had water leaks. MB had some problems with their "c" class cars that hurt their overall rating but the "S" has not. My S55 with 2000 miles on it has had 0 sqwaks! I am sure the Maser QP will experiance some technical glitches the first year that most first year cars so. Look at the Lambo gallardo with the "E" gear transmission. Big problems and law suits there. Most new cars bulit today are pretty dam good compared to even 10 years ago, especially after they sort out the first year problems.
    Today I am taking delivery of a new MB SL600 with the twin turbo V12 that puts out 493 HP and 590lbs/ft of torque. When Renntech puts one of these cars on their dyno they always see about 520HP. Obviously MB is being real conservative with its HP rating on that car. Car&Driver tested the 600 and saw 0-60 in 3.8. Unbelievable! If I see 4 sec I will be very pleased. For a modest sum of about $5K Renntech has a mod for the ECU that puts the HP over 600. About what the new SL65 is supposed to have. Now I am not comparing the Sl to the Maser QP. Just thought I would talk about the top of the line MB's. They are far from boring as one poster mentioned. I hope to try out the new QP once it is available for test drives. However with the S55 in the garage already with a Viper GTS and a SL600 my last aquisition will probably be the Murcielago but then thats another story. Lets all hope that Maserati succedes with their cars. Actually, lets hope that they all do well, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Bentley because there has never been a better time to be a car enthusiast. All these wonderful cars now available to be driven and enjoyed. Now all we need is the Key to the door.....$.

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i dont have a 360 modena.....an di ws compairing the s55 to the maser sedan...we are not talking about 360modena vs the murci!!!

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good choice..and it is normally aspirated.. no cheating with super or turbo chargers