LCD Screen - group buy | FerrariChat

LCD Screen - group buy

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tvrfreak, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I have been researching the company and the product for a couple of weeks now and it seems to be a good company with a good product. They have excess inventory because their deal with Good Guys is on hold. They have low costs because of a band-new mfg. facility in China. The missing HDTV tuner is not a concern for me since most services provide the tuner anyway. And the unit itself is HDTV-ready.

I am going to print out all the specs and take them to a high-end TV retailer in my area today. If it checks out, I think I am going to buy the 42" LCD. Anyone else interested in buying an LCD or plasma from them if the specs check out? It might help us negotiate a sizable discount.

Reference this thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14778

2. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    I am definitely in if the price is right. On the market for a few TVs right now.

Ernesto

3. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    t88, would you buy 3? Reason I ask is, I think they will give a killer deal on 5. I am in for 1. You said you need a few, so if I can presume three, then we need just one more.

Anyone else?

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Is the group buy price $ 4,769 for the 42" LCD? Do you have a definite price?

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Hoping for $3,800...heh! I figure their cost is around $2,500.

I don't have a definite price. But I would be happy as long as they discount it at least 15%...that's right around $4k.

6. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    TVR:

I am definitely in the market for two or three TV's, but I am not willing to take that big a chance on this deal which we know little about. You can count on me for one once we get final prices and specs. If it all checks out and the TV work great, you can count on me for a few more on the second round of purchases.

Let me know.

Ernesto

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Cool. Thanks.

8. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good work TVR. My contact down here has been a little slow with the info. I'm going to need a few but I'm won't be ready till the house is built. Let us know how the specs pan out though.

Dave

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I would be interested if the price is right.

10. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    tvrfreak,
    Great thread! I have 5 TVs right now, but wanting those thin screeen TV in living room for while. Thanks for posting this! you are not one of those scummers right? (just kidding, I've seen you posts before, and you even posted on my thread, too)

I am interested for 1 unit if the price is good. I've seen some plasma/LCD for $3,000s, but the quality of picture wasn't that good.

My concerns: 1) Never bought electornical devices by mail order, so what happens if the unit was damaged during transit?
    2) Is this unit brand new or re-furbished? I don't know what is GOOD GUYS.
    3) How do I pay for this? (credit card, check, COD, etc.)

Again, thanks for posting this offer.

11. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Im interested in buying one or many LCD flats. Please keep me posted.

12. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    on the website, it says that the largest size LCD tv is only 40". where did u get the 42" LCD tv info?

13. JohnSS

JohnSS Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    New Orleans/Auburn
    Full Name:
    John Dyer
    What kind of LCD are you guys talking about, flat panel or rear projection?

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Sorry guys, been out of the house all day.

To answer some questions:
    The units are brand new and not refurbished items.

If it's damaged during shipping, you have to claim from the shipping company. This is a huge pain, so it's best to hope that there's no damage. Refuse the shipment if there's visible signs of damage on the container.

The credit card company is not your friend, typically, unless you are using AmEx platinum or a few other cards. So don't count on them to protect you from shipping damage.

However, once you have it, the better credit cards will give you extended warranty coverage. As it is, warranty is for 1 year, which is good. I went and looked in some stores and was told that it's 90 days for most sets.

Good Guys is a chain of stores that sell home audio/video/electronic appliances. Apparently they had a deal to sell these TVs. Then CompUSA apparently purchased GG, or is in the process of purchasing them. This has put the TV deal on hold. The manufacturer/distributor in Texas has inventory he is trying to get rid of. At least, that is my understanding.

JohnSS, the TVs are flat panel LCD or plasma screens.

Hubert888, you are correct. Largest size is 40" in the LCDs. I looked under plasma by mistake. Thanks.

I simply did not have time to swing by the TV store today. I will definitely do it tomorrow.

Rgds,
    Faisal.

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dave had mentioned wholesale prices...I would assume this to be closer to the $2500 number than 4700. Depending on the price, I may be in for 1 or 2.

--Dan

16. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Red light!

I don't intend to offend anyone. But before you go pumping some serious cash into an unknown Co. PM or post some of your findings regarding this company. I will be willing to so some due diligence for you.

FYI. Are you aware that 40% of all LCD displays produced are rejected due to quality issues?
    The Point: There are a lot of substandard products on the market.
    Question: Why is their deal with goodguys.com on hold? Wave Electronics…Who?

I’m not making any accusations regarding this company. I’m just stating that from what I’ve read in previous posts and from their web site there are no credible references.

I’m currently wrapping up some business out of town. Upon returning I would be pleased to look into these guys for anyone interested.

Just offering a piece of mind.

Out.

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Check the thread posted in the first post of this thread. I just got it from there, so I don't know for sure either.

18. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Their site is www.flatisbetter.com and the Mfgr is "byd:sign". The 40" is the biggest LCD flat, the 42" is Plasma.

Dave

19. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    OK, so I went and checked out the specs against two local high-end TV stores' offerings of Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, etc.

The Specs
    ------------
    The specs are indentical to the specs of the models at the shops. There is no feature in the shops' LCD panels that is missing from the d:sign stuff. Sony does not reveal colour temperature specs, and a couple of TVs had more inputs. This is pointless, IMO, because I route everything through a receiver. I basically need just one input on the TV. This one has 6 (!), not counting the secure digital (SD) media input.

The d:sign resolution is identical to the resolutions of the other sets on the market.

In other words, I am happy with the specs on these units.

Pricing
    ------------
    There are no 40" LCDs on the market. The largest, at 37", is least $1,000 more for the latest models. They did have 2 floor displays of last year's model, and they were willing to let those go for $4799. So, their 40" LCD is a pretty decent buy at $4,700 as originally advertised.

However, I have been talking to them about this for a couple of weeks. And today, I did it!!!!!!! I talked them down to $4,000 plus shipping for ones with the HDCP-enabled (explained below) DVI ports, and $3,800 plus shipping for the ones with the non-HDCP DVI ports! Shipping is via FedEx ground (3 days to California from Houston, and approx. $130)

Some modern devices come with HDCP (CP=copy protection) output cables. If your panel does not have a HDCP port, it will not display the output. This is a non-issue for me since all my video equipment also outputs via Composite-S or other media. And if it was a huge consideration, I would pay the extra $200. However, HDCP is not an industry-wide one, so I am not terribly interested in being HDCP-ready. I am sure that you can also buy other DHCP decoders that can translate the signal into regular HD format so your non-HDCP television can display it. As I said, not a biggie for me, and $200 for those who do find it a biggie.

So, who's in? I think I have five local friends who have also indicated they will be buying. And I think there's about three orders here, including me. Please PM me if you are interested, and I will hook you up.

If you contact them directly, I don't think you will be able to get the same price. It really took a lot of negotiating to get them down to it, and I am getting this price because I said I would get them the orders. I am not becoming a dealer or distributor or anything of the sort, (but I am acting as the representative for a buying group)...you will place your order directly through them and you will give your payment details directly to them. It would just be great if I could give them a call and say that so-and-so will be calling you to place an order, please give him the price we agreed on. This way, I am delivering on my promise, they are delivering on theirs, and you are getting the rock-bottom price I have been able to get them to agree to.

Final Assurance
    ---------------
    There is still one more step. I am going to ask a friend of mine to stop by and take some pictures and test one of the panels to the best of his ability. This will take place early next week. Once he gives me the green light, I will be confident enough to make my purchase. I will post the pictures, and any comments, here, and you can then make your own decision and PM me if you are interested in buying them as well.

Do feel free to contact them directly without involving me, if you have any questions. But if you are going to buy, please do mention me so that they know that I delivered on my promise to get them buyers.

Rgds,
    Faisal (pretty excited).

PS. Someone mentioned dead pixels. These units are only shipped if there are zero dead pixels. I will be getting a written statement from them certifying to zero dead pixels, and agreeing to replace a unit with a dead pixel, with cost of return shipping and shipping of replacement to be borne by them.

20. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    PimpDaddy,
    thanks for your post. If you find out any info about the company, please post it here. I would appreciate any precautions you can suggest to protect my interests, as well as the interests of any other buyers here.

The fact that they have not hesitated in agreeing to allow my friend to personally come and see their operation is quite reassuring to me. I can travel for free so I could go see it myself too, but I just don't want to invest in two 5 hour plane rides and all the other hassles in going out there. However, I just might end up doing that next week.

I would appreciate anything at all that you can find out. Or any other safeguards you can suggest.

21. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Faisal,

Keep me posted on how these TV's turn out when your friend sees them. I need some for the new digs. I have a line on Sony stuff, but this may be attractive.

thanks,

22. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Since my last post it seems that you have been asking some great questions and I commend you in sending someone to investigate. So far they seem legit.

If I get back to my office in time I will publish any findings.

Ask them about their inventory quantities and any trade references (people who have already purchased)

Also beware of pressured salesmen. Its a sign of desperation and a RED FLAG in my book.

PD

23. Sensational1

Sensational1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Michael Basic
    Any updates with these TVs?

24. Sensational1

Sensational1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rancho Palos Verdes