Clutch Slipping | FerrariChat

Clutch Slipping

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sjmst, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The clutch seems to be slipping on my 82 Mondial. Only 33,000 miles. Might it only need an adjustment? If it needs a clutch, what does a job like that go for?
    Thanks
    Sam

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    The clutch can be adjusted to some degree. I'm not a mechanic so I can't tell you how, but other Chatters have addressed this in previous posts. I've been quoted between $1100--$1500 to have someone replace the clutch .

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you have not adjusted it for 33K miles, then chances are it probably needs an adjustment. But if you have had it adjusted before, and now it slips, then you are probably due for a clutch. Cost is $400 parts, and 4 hours labor. Won't even need to change the oil. You can do it yourself if you have some mechanical abilities.

I have to look for a file on how to adjust the clutch on your car, it is pretty straight forward. Or, you can find it on a WSM at this site here:

http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/

Mitchell

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Mondials have a hydraulic clutch and adjustment is automatic. There is nothing you can do.

To replace it yourself, you'll need a special socket to fit the lower transfer gear nut.

It's a good opportunity to replace crank and input shaft oil seals, spigot bearing and release (throw out) bearing, along with pressure and centre plates.

Don't forget to have a good look at the flywheel, chances are you'll need to get it ground to remove any hard spots and the wear shoulder. And on Mondials, the slave cylinders are a weak link, so a seal kit in there would be worth looking at.

It can be done in 4 hours, but to do all the related jobs and make a nice "fit and forget" job of it, you'll spend more like 8, if you know what you're doing, and maybe double if it's your first.

If done well with all the related jobs, it'll last for ages.

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like a new clutch etc for about 1500. Cheap (by Ferrari Stds!)
    Sam

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was told about 2500 by Classic Coach for a new clutch..sound right?

7. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    For that cost, I would think you can do it yourself, learn about the car, and have some fun. I don't know if Mondial clutches are different than 308's from the same time, but I did my 308 QV clutch last summer in two weekends for about $700 in parts (including the special socket for the lower transfer gear nut). I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing in the end of the crank shaft, and all seals and o-rings. I also had a machine shop clean up the flywheel ($40)- it was not in that bad of shape and had plenty of material left after if it needs it again.

If you woiuld rather not touch it- than $2500 seems high, unless there is some other work being done with that estimate- like a fluid change, belts, detail, etc.

If you choose to try it yourself- there are many people here to help, and places on the net with descriptive procedures with pictures. Just do a search on this site, or the old F-chat.

Good luck

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I helped a friend did a quicky clutch job on his 308QV, in and out in 4 hours. (not a Mondial, so your mileage mau vary)