Do odometer's lie? | FerrariChat

Do odometer's lie?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mondial86, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I know that in early Ferrari's (or just about any car) it is verry easy to disconect the odometer,and not cause any drivabilty problems.Has this problem been fixed in newer Ferrari,s. I know that in newer BMW,S if you stop the signal from the mph sensor ,before the prosseser the car is not usable ,if you stop the signal after the black box you can stop the miles from registering ,but when you hook it back the black bok will update the odometer.I am looking at 355,s and 3 of the cars with less than 15000 mi. showed much ,much too much wear for sub 20000 mi. cars. I hope that it is not as easy as it used to be!!!!!!!!

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) Speedos on F355s are easy to disconnect.
    B) 15K miles is around 2K miles a year--about average--and pittifull
    C) its more important to be able to see the service documentation than the actual milage.
    D) the interior will tell you if the car was taken care of, or just put right to impress potential buyers.
    E) a 95 F355 is 8 years old--independent of the miles driven. Time takes it toll even on undriven cars UNLESS that car gets exceptional care. Sounds like these didn't.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Odometers don't lie, people do.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes people do it all of the time with these cars. It isn't a surprise. Look at the interior, engine, exterior too don't just believe the odometer. This is one of the only times Carfax can be semi useful. Check on their. Most of the time the cars have to be inspected. To look at the seller if he is 300lbs and the seat looks a little worn for 15K put 2 and 2 together.

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Correct, but what you missed is that with the correct software and a OBD connector you can hook a laptop up and change the mileage displayed!!!!

6. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    My 95 355 has 30k on it, the only wear is on the drivers side seatback bolster from getting in & out of the car. The wear is minimal, you can just begin to see through the dye. If you are seeing more wear than this on a 15k -20k car, be careful.
    BTW my 355 is on ebay, (shameless plug)

7. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    OK - the suspense is killing me. Dave sold his Mondial and bought a 355. Is he going to soon be driving a silver 355 spyder? And Mark, are you in the market for another F-Car or is it something else?

Troy

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Do remember that Ferrari interiors are not very durable, so a 20k mile car could still have quite a bit of seat bolster wear and those console peices bubbling up.... :)

But, I have heard twice from folks working at FNA dealers saying that at least 1/3 of customers cars that come in for service have the speedo sender disconnected! Scarely, but that is what they said....

I agree that this is where service records become so important to document the mileage history as well as service for any car being considered for purchase.

9. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    I understand that a 355's speedo can be done but can a 360's speedo be disconnected? Would the F1 transmission know whats going on if that was the case?