Need a sport bike forum | FerrariChat

Need a sport bike forum

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 348 Turbo, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Guys,
    I've decided to sell my Titan motorcycle and buy one the wife will ride with me. I am just going to buy an old road king or some other piece of crap. This should leave me enough money to buy a sportbike again, (just for me!). I'm thinking a gsx-r 1000, maybe. I haven't had one in 10 years adn I'd guess they've changed quite a bit. I rode a friends Ducati 996 yesterday, it was GREAT! Too harsh a back angle, but nice ride! Anyway, I need some advice and was wondering if anyone know of a good source of info for my new purchase.
    Thanks.
    Jeff

2. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Hiyya

I ride an Aprilia RSVR-R 1000 and love it, its Italian, it throbs, its loud and handles better than a ducati IMHO. The Gixxer 1000 is the meanest baddest bike out there at the mo and could do youself a damage if you have not ridden something this powerful for a few years, so beware. As for your choicees, well depends on where and how you intend riding your sportsbike. In Europe we have the magic roads in the Alps, Pyranesse and German Autobahns to play in, but these long trips on a GSX, R1, Blade or any other Hyper Sports bike will leave the infrequent ride (like me) hurting for a good few days after the fun has ended.

Wher are you living?

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I would say go out and try on serveral different ones for fit and feel. I am 6'4" tall but for some reason i feel more at home on a 600 sport bike than a larger one. And i am not talking power either. If you dont need a sport bike with all of the body work look at the "Naked" sport bikes out on the market, like the Kawasaki ZRX 1200. They have a more upright riding position and are less to insure.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

A used 03 GSXR1000 would be your best buy. About 7 - 9k low mileage would be great, maybe the prior owner put a shock on it, you'll probably need new rubber, the new dunlaps work really well on them.

If you haven't ridden for 10 years, be prepared for a major shock. The new bikes are much quicker, and they are lighter. The new GSXR weights about what a 600 weighed 10 years ago, with 2x the horsepower. 100 mph wheelies without pulling on the bars: you bet. Be prepared to a lot of performance, so you'd better be prepared to detune your riding until you've gotten a handle on the speed. Even with the new tires, the back end steps out, and if your not quick enough, expect some road rash or worse.

As to where you can get one, depends on where you are. If you're in California, drop me a note, and I'll can make a suggestion or two.

Art

5. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Thanks, guys. I'll take all your advice and step back into the sport bike riding slowly. I was amazed how much I loved the Ducati after just a few miles. I visited the Kawasaki place yesterday to learn and enjoyed the sites. I'll go see the GSX-R's today, and let you all know how it goes.
    Thanks again.
    Jeff

6. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    just got back from seeing the GSX-R's. To my surprise, I really liked the 750 lots!
    What are your thoughts vs the 1000?
    J

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm still fairly new to the bike world, but have been spending some quality time riding and jiving with others. I currently ride a small Ducati, a Monster 750 Sie, which is a great compromise bike, but not a hardcore sportsbike. The Suzukis seem to rule among the young, hardcore riders, at least here in the northeastern US. Given how truly inexpensive these bikes are, i would look for one, not just based on "quick" (unless you are truly gifted or willing to devote the time and energy to learning to ride something extreme), but one with the right "bits" that do it for you. I saw a "Tuono" being ridden on a commute the other day, looked gorgeous. The 999 is definitely worth trying out, as is the 749S (note that, unless you go for the S in the smaller bike, you don't get all the adjustable stuff). It is far more comfortable than the earlier superbikes. (The 748 does it for me, but what a torture device). The MV Agusta, and others out there (Benelli, Mondial, etc.) are quite exotic, but unless you can't stand the appearance of the new Ducati, its a huge amount of bike technology for the money, and you get the best of both worlds: state of the art sportbike with Italian heritage. Oh yea, and the latest big Monster is also worth a look, but its not an air-cooled V-Twin.

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    www.sportbikes.net

great info on just about everything you'll wanna know, and then some. congrats and welcome to the bike world, once you ride you'll never go back.

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

The 1000 is just like the 750 with a bunch more torque and hp. They weight about the same, the 750 turns a little better, but other than that, its the same bike. The extra torque and power however, if you can use them, make a big difference.

Where are you located, what kind of roads are you going to use this on?

Art

10. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    www.gixxer.com is a good site but it seems to be running a little slow lately. There are definitly some good people there to answer any questions you may have. I'm thinking about a GSXR 750 right now.

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Go to speedzilla.zeroforum.com

I have owned several sport bikes and I currently own a Ducati 998 and a998RS (the 2002 Ducati Austin AMA Superbike). Your love for the 996 is not unfounded. It is a tremendous bike. I used to own a 748s and I have spent a lot of time on 996's. You won't hear any complaints about Ducati from me, other than their customer service and dealer support. PM me if you have any questions.

12. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  13. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002