Ferrari Vs. Porsche or other sports cars | FerrariChat

Ferrari Vs. Porsche or other sports cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ILMAESTRO, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Why should one buy a Ferrari when for less money one can have maybe a better car? more reliable, more power, more performance, Etc.
    However, owning a Ferrari is owning a legend, a car which is a driver's car, an automobile which is perfectly balanced, is always a pleasure to drive, the steering, the pedals have the right feel, the right weight, etc.
    Let's talk about it, please give your input!

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Why should one buy a Ferrari when for less money one can have maybe a better car? more reliable, more power, more performance, Etc.

Well, I guess you shouldn't buy one...

I think a better idea would be to take the money and buy a bunch of $1k cars and park them all over the city.
    That way you would have a car to drive where ever you were.
    If one breaks down, you just get in the one you have parked two blocks away.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If you can get a better car for less, absolutely you should do it! Obviously, some here think the Ferrari they are buying (have bought) is the better car, where the definition of better is dependent on the buyer.

The only cars better by my definition than the 360 CS cost more than I am willing to pay (more than $350K, in fact). But others will assert there are better cars by their definition in the under $100K category. But then they're probably not wasting their time on this site...

So, if you're not just trolling, I am not sure the point of your question here.

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Hope this article will give you more perspective about Ferrari ownership.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/12/pf/autos/ferrari/index.htm

5. Mr_ferrari

Mr_ferrari Guest

Ferrari vs Porsche, thats easy, "Porsche Sucks"... A real Ferrari Fan would not own, even drive a Porsche. Porsche are over rated cars, with no styling. Everyone I've talked with, they will take a Ferrari over a Porsche any day.

Rob

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a GT2 or 959. Add a Ford GT (a real GT40 would be better) to round it out. That said, Ferrari is still the ultimate in my book.

7. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Being a Porsche owner I would have to say that your comments are absolutely ridiculous ... the Porsche is not over-rated, in fact it will out perform the F360 in every single aspect on a track ... as for styling I assume you have no taste ... the only correct comment you made was that I would take a Ferrari over a Porsche any day ...

Dario

8. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
  9. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003

10. paulb

paulb Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradley
    Full Name:
    Paul

P-cars don't suck.

ILMAESTRO - As stated previously, "better" is a relative term that can only be defined by each specific owner's desire and purpose.

A truck is "better" than an F-Car (if you want to tow a boat).

11. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Not sure there is a point in talking you out of buying a Porsche, if this is what you prefer, good for you !
    I would not argue that Porsches are bad cars at all. A GT3 or a 996 turbo are extremely good cars, arguably more reliable than a Ferrari, with different esthetics which may suit some but which I personally dislike.
    Another aspect is that there is a difference, and a price, between owning 1 out of 4200, or 1 out of 45'000. Porsches abound, I see several every day.

12. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Does annyone know whos 57 that is in the background of the Porsche pic?

13. I have this chat alot with people with Corvettes,Porsches etc. Porsche makes fine automobiles and can out perform some ferrari's, Ferrari makes amazing cars and has been for a very long time the styleing the engine sound the handeling is all part of the whole expearience. It all comes down to your tayste porsche,ferrari, lamborghini are 3 very different car manufactures matters on your tayste. Each to its own

14. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Like FerrariSlave said it all depends what you have in your blood. Some are Porsche fans , some are Lamborghini fans and some are McLaren fans etc. As for me I'm a Ferrari fan and I would want a Ferrari over anything.

15. Mr_ferrari

Mr_ferrari Guest

I agree with FerrariSlave statement “Each to its own”… I don’t have anything against Porsche how ever I do like a good argument among Ferrari and Porsche fans. And it’s also true that most Porches can out perform some Ferraris, but for me, the love of Ferrari goes beyond the performance and who’s better… They are all fast cars!

I like playing “Devil’s Advocate”

Rob

16. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Let me explain what I mean, If you compare let say a turbo Porsche and a 360 for example, the Porsche is a much better car, more performance, probably similar cornering capabilities and DEFINITELY A MILLION TIMES MORE RELIABLE! and yes on the race track the Porsche will finish first 9 out of 10 times. (MOST OF THE TIME THE FERRARI WILL BE STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE TRACK!) So why would somebody buy a 360 which is inferior to the Porsche and 50% more expensive. I own a Ferrari and I don't own a Porsche, am I crazy? No, i don't think so, why? it's because the Ferrari is a driving experience, there is something about a Ferrari than no other car can touch! maybe a romance I don't know, but I would not trade it for a Porsche! that's for sure. What do you guys' think? I know I am touching a sore point by some of the comments above
    Why would anyone buy a Lambo for that matter. It is probably the biggest piece of crap ever designed and this is why they were never raced. A beautifull piece of machinery but with no R&D at all. Lambo engines were put on a dyno and run full out for an hour, if the thing stayed together, they had an engine, if it broke, they looked at the broken piece, beefed it up and started all over again, etc. Is that R&D? (This does not apply to the new models designed by Audi which are now decent cars). Any comment? go for it!

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

PORSCHES SUCK?

I DON'T THINK SO!!

i actually have both. being a real car nut, i love all different marques and can safely say there will always be a ferrari in my garage. no other cars makes you feel as if you are strapping on your armour as if to go into battle. ferraris are simply owned (imho) for emotional reasons and make a simple drive ...a special event.

but...porsches just rock! i have a 930 w/ just short of 500hp @ the crank!! it does things that few ferraris can do in the straight line (save f-50, and enzo)...but is a bit of an adventure in the corners. it does represent a real value when compared to the capital and maintainence costs of a "red" car.

STOP WRESTLING W/ ONE OR THE OTHER QUESTION...DO LIKE I DO...GET ONE OF EACH!!!!

18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    The porsche vs Ferrari arguement will always rage. It is the current rivalry. Look at the magazines, it is Lambo vs Ferrari, McLaren vs Ferrari Ford vs Ferrari, Viper vs Ferrari. It seems everyone measures themselves against the Ferrari, so Ferrari is doing something right.

As far as performance, well, Ferrari hasd gone soft. No turbos, 'cush' interiors, and leaving all the tuning to thrid parties, becoming the old man's car all of the sudden. Trailer queens driven by guys too old to handle what they have... or...

Hmm... this is a big pain for me to, I love the 4re tradition, but i am very disappointed in the lack luster performance vs Porsche especially.

But I will never own a p car, my bros friend brings home 993s all the time, but i have no desired to drive a car that appearrance wise has not changed since the originals.

19. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    That's my dad's 57 ... big suped up Mercedes ... nothing special IMO??

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I would take pretty much any Porsche over any Mondial, which is undeniably one of the biggest pieces of trash to come from Ferrari.

21. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I have had 2 911s and they are great cars but very different than a Ferrari.Driving a Ferrari is like driving a high strung race car, totally exhillerating requiring your total attention along with awesome sounds, and when you park them they are like art to look at.

A Porsche is more of a car you can take a long trip in, the Ferrari driving position gets uncomfortable after awhile and the loud engine also wears you down after a few hours, the 911 is more comfortable, gets much less attention which also gets old after a while in the Ferrari and is easier to get in and out of, which is why a 911 is a better daily driver.

Ferrari is also much more fragile than the older pre 996 911s, the old 911s have a bank vault feel when you close the doors something Ferrari doesn't have

22. 308930G

308930G Rookie

Nov 25, 2003
    Again w/ the Porsche vs. Ferrari stuff.

Ilmaestro, your comments about Lamborghini being a piece of crap are a little out of sorts. As for the factory not racing, Ferruccio didn't want to. Check out Pete Lyons book, the Complete Lamborghini. You'll learn something.

There's a lot of info how Lamborghini developed their cars. When you make a global and sophmoric statement like "Lamborghini's are pieces of crap", it's hard to take you seriously. Ever seen a Miura in person? The 246 Dino has a little competition in the looks category. Ever drove a Countach w/ 4 valves per cylinder and carb's?

Ferrari Pete, I like the 930! I have a slightly modified '85 (euro obviously) w/ 380 hp to the rear wheels. They're incredible machines. As for the folks who don't like the styling, next time you see a 930 pulling away from you, look quickly at the view from behind. The fender flares and spoiler (tea tray or whale tail) scream performance. It's designed by Germans! It can't look like a Dino or a Miura.

Now to compare P cars w/ F cars and L cars. I have this debate everyday. Along w/ the 930, I have a '78 308 GTS that was serviced for nearly 25 years by the great Bob Wallace. Il Maestro, do you know who that is? He used to work at Ferrari in the ealy 60's, then went to Lamborghini as their test driver and development engineer. Then after developing the Countach, he moved to Phoenix and had a service shop. If you are able to, or want to read that book, you'll see some light. Bob installed high compression pistons, cams, a single distributor and the exhaust breathes very freely. Good for a tested 285 hp.

Keeping company w/ those two beasts in my garage, is '85 Lamborghini Jalpa. (Yawlpa) Only 419 made. Does the gang know what that is. Mid engined 3.5 V8 w/ targa roof. 2 seats. Sound familiar? It has incredible handling, alot of torque, gorgeous lines in and out. The sound is unbelievable too.

The upgrade process has started.Perma tune ignition, the pistons, timing etc. If you ask me, the Jalpa stock would easily outperform a stock 308, regardless if it's carbed or QV. But not a stock 930.

Now, the Jalpa's looks are the most stunning. Does that mean that the 308 and 930 are not worth having? The 930 is easily the fastest and brakes are amazing . Does that mean the 308 and Jalpa are not worth having? The 308 is easily recognized as a Ferrari. But it's the slowest and the others handle better. Is it a piece of crap? Hell No. I love it.

It's a healthy debate. I guess I'll just have to keep driving all 3 over and over to decide.

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bob's a friend. He and Alberto Pedretti rebuilt the motor in my P4. There are a lot of great cars and statements like: "Lambo's are crap" are in a word: Stupid.

24. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You'll have to define "better"... its definitely NOT better by my definition (and I own both a 360 and a 911, though not a Turbo).

Nope. Lots more torque; but the 360 handles better, IMO.

Probably NOT.

Not in my experience. My 911 has spent far more time in the shop than my 360. And that despite the fact that I track my 360, but rarely my 911.

Stupid... and starting to really sound like a troll.

Well, everything you've said so far is wrong, so this summary is also. The 360 is far more exhilirating, the sound of the 360 is way better than the 911, it feels far more like a racecar than the 911, and it is way better looking and far more distinctive. (All this, IMHO, obviously... but I can show numerous articles that agree with me.) The 360 is a better car than the 911T in every way except torque... the 911T is a torque monster!

Uhhh... how about: "Stupido!"?? Or maybe "Troll!"?

If you don't just want a distinctive car with a racecar feel, but rather a head-turning rocketship with a dragster feel... then a Ferrari will be a poor substitute to a Lambo. Lambos have stunning looks that neither Porsche nor Ferrari even want to match. Lambos ooze "exotic".

Its all in your individual definition of "better". Yours appears to be irrational, but its yours... as long as it makes you happy. But no need to insult others on your way to happiness.

25. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    I used to own a Daytona and sold it a couple of months ago against a fat check and my Mondial T Cabriolet. The Daytona was very fast but with 1970's handling and I got tired of it. The Mondial T is not the fastest (also it will run around any stock air cooled 911) but it has 4 seats and it is a Ferrari. I have never owned a Miura but I have driven one before and I can tell you the Daytona will run rings around it. Lambos are all show and that it. They are made purely to leave in front of an expensive restaurant or discotech to pickup member of the opposit sex and say I have money in my bank account, that it. They don't drive particularly well, they are unreliable, there are no parts, they are toys thats it. The only Lambo with any kind of value is the Miura SV that it. The previous models with the engine and gearbox sharing the same sump are just to flimsy. Ferraris, although well designed and directly bred from racing have their flows as well, lack of parts availability, The front engine V12 models although very powerfull for their time were always a step behind in chassis technology. Independent suspension, mid 60s, disk brakes early 60s', interiors very primitive compared to Astons etc. Rear engine cars, Boxer, a great car and then later, late 70s' and 80s' quality directly borrowed from Fiat with shared components like door handles, A/C, alternators, engine parts, switches, relays, brakes, paint etc. Only in the late 80's were the cars being improved with the 348, mondial T and 512. Things like major services are unknown among Porsche owners. Why in hell would one design a car where the motor has to be removed to get at the Cam belt, this is ridiculous. This has hurt Ferrari, and this is why Porsche sells 100 times more cars on a yearly basis if not more. I am not trying to bash Ferrari, just pointing out flows. As far as lambos, they are pretty but thats it for me, just my opinion. And you guys' want power, drive a well sorted AC Cobra 427 side oiler and I promess you the world will never be the same afterward.

ALLANLAMBO, the Mondial T is just another animal compared to the other Mondials. It is basically a 348 with 4 seats.