Will Ferrari manufacture a part for you ? | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari manufacture a part for you ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Kds, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Other high end manufacturer's (notably Porsche and MB with their "classic" department) maintain either facilities or the availability of a parts supply for older cars. MB in particular is remarkable in this regard and is to be praised accordingly. Sure....it takes time and will cost a bit....but certain parts may unfortunately not have other sources except for the manufacturer.

Being a potential TR owner in less than a year and hearing on F-Chat about the problem of parts availability for TR's has me sort of worried to some extent.

I guess the question is....depending on the parts...should I be ?

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Two examples:
    Low end: When I shipped my Mondial to Europe, the shipper tore a lower suspension A - Arm. Took it to the Ferrari dealer in Saarbrueken who then had Luigi at Ferrari jig up and manufacture a new piece to replace.

High end: Jim G. had Ferrari remanufacture a few parts (including recasting some wheels) for his P-4 restoration. How cool is that?

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In the motorcycle industry Honda is king of manufacturing parts for ancient bikes.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    My guess would be that once FerrariUK gets into the TR parts business things might actually get a little better parts availability/pricing-wise (at least that's my hope;)).

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I've been told they give no support at all to vintage cars. True or false (usually)?

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I believe Ferrari SpA will get involved with the restoration of historically-significant cars....like the P4. They can provide historical documentation like build sheets and fabrication drawings if they're available, as well as help out with parts suppliers - from James G.'s experiences, they will even remake/recast a few Factory-specific parts if the price is right. If Ferrari SpA won't help, perhaps Michelotto, Scaglietti, PininFarina, and some of the other Ferrari-affilliated fabricators will take your money and help out. There are LOTS of fabrication shops who will buid you almost ANYTHING if you pay them enough - they'll build you the whole damned car to standards where you couldn't tell it apart from the original.

However, only Ferrari-factory parts are blessed by the Pope and come in the pretty yellow box......

7. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Thank God Ferrari supports a parts program. I'm in the market for a diablo. I was on a site that I won't mention and a guy with a 97.5 diablo needs an exhaust manifold. Guesw what? None available from dealers or factory and he has to fabricate one from scratch. I'm rethinking this lambo thing...

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ferrari UK is parts, parts, parts!!!!!

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Thanks for the replies......

10. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Well I wish they would make me some 330 heads---I have been without a set for 10 yrs

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I wish they offered an owner's manual PDF for a Series II 330 2+2.

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    KDS,
    I have an 86 TR, and to date I have not run into any issues of availabilty. Though you need to be aware when the factory closes dwn for the summer and you need a part you will have to wait sometime. But for now over the last 6 yrs of ownership I have had no dwn time.

13. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Is it different than the manual for the 1969 330 GT 2+2? That one is on the Owner's site.

14. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    You've posed an interesting question. In the 1970s, anything older than the current product line was seen by the factory as old and irrelevant. This included the GTO, I might add. After a vigorous day of racing at Willow Springs, the differential on my 250GTO cracked and needed to be replaced. I spoke with the factory and was informed that the piece had been supplied by ZF. I spoke with ZF and was informed that all they supplied to Ferrari was a billet of steel, which was machined to GTO specification at Maranello. In the end, I was referred to a machine shop near Grenwich, Conn. by Luigi Chinetti where the piece was remanufactured using the original as a model. Whether the factory mindset has changed in the intervening years, I cannot say.

As a postscript, when Matthew Ettinger and I reassembled the rear end, mine became the only GTO in the world to have five speeds in reverse and one forward. We'd put it in backwards, and had to take the whole thing apart again to put it right!

15. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    atlantaman,

We have brand new, original 330 cylinder heads in our patrs department, part numbers 17942/D and 17942/S

MW

16. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    UK--last time i checked ( 2 yrs ago) you wanted about 5000 each for 330 heads--just bought one locally for 1500(complete)-----cant afford your prices.
    If that has changed, let me know, I do need a set---or atleast one--passanger side.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Actually, it's not. The owner's manual is indeed listed as a 1969, but the car detailed in the manual is an earlier 4 headlight, 4 speed transmission, dual brake servo Series I. There are lots of differences.

But perhaps owners.ferrari.com doesn't know that. I'll send them an e-mail.

Thanks!