550 / Tool Kit Socket Question / Lug Nut Torque | FerrariChat

550 / Tool Kit Socket Question / Lug Nut Torque

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doody, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    my 550 came with the spare tire option - so i don't know if everyobdy's car has the jack and lug wrench, but here goes.

the wrench came with two sockets that fit it. one is 22mm and that's the only one of the bunch that fits the lug nuts. the other one is a reversible socket that's 17mm on one side and 19mm on the other side.

what's the reversible 17/19 socket for?

also, anybody know what the correct torque is for tightening the lug nuts? in its table of torque values, the service manual lists 98Nm (72.3 lb-ft) for "Wheel fastening bolt". is that the lug nut?

thanks,
    doody.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It is interesting how some everyday terms are "geographic"...

You don't have any "lug nuts" ;), but yes, "Wheel fastening bolt" = "lug bolt" in this case.

(IME and IMO this is a classic example of how some of the Italiano to English translations in the F documents aren't wrong, but they aren't quite the right/typical/more common English and/or American technical term -- almost like the translation was done by an Italian with an English Literature background rather than an engineering background.)

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody

i use the words "rubbish" and "wicked" and "bubbler" too ;) and probably a dozen other wacked-out New England terms. at least i don't have a bahstin accent!

that'd explain all the dante references in my service manual ;)

anybody care to guess why the 17mm and 19mm sockets?

doody.

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I guess they'd be for tensioning the alternator belt that comes with the kit.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Doody,

very interesting. Mine came with a spec of using 120Nm as the tightening value.

This is what I've set all of them to (cool snapon electric torque wrench). Do you think this is because my car was one of the mag-wheel cars?

--Dan

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    that may well be. although this didn't come with the took kit. it came/comes with the jack kit, which i presume (incorrectly?) you only get with the optional spare tire kit. who knows. just a curiosity.

where did you get this number? the only torque value i can find in the user manual is in section 4 regarding fitting the optional spare wheel - that says 120Nm. but maybe it's different for the non-spare wheel?

somebody here must know the answer to this question.

72.3 lb-ft -vs- 88.5 lb-ft is not a trivial delta. probably not a critical one either, but still, it'd be nice to have the right number :)

doody.

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Dan,

Right, originally 550's had magnesium wheels which were tightened to 120nm, then Ferrari recalled all 550's that had magnesium wheels and replaced them with alluminium wheels which were tightened to 100nm.

Have you had your wheels replaced with the later type (Ferrari recall 32)?

MW

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you rock malcolm - thanks!

doody.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Malcolm,

Wheels were replaced long long ago before I got the car, but I've been tightening to 120!

I will go correct this today. Thanks for the into.

--Dan