A Drive/Event in December? | FerrariChat

A Drive/Event in December?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by 150shot, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I know the last one just ended, but at least two of us had our day end prematurely yesterday...so I have to ask if there is anything planned before the year ends??

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I have some ideas in mind but they might not become official events and so far, nothing is immediately planned with the holidays as far as I know.

However, we can shake up some locals and see if we feel like getting together for an impromptu drive together. I want to drive Ortega the long route. Even if its just a few of us, we can have some fun.

I've been on the back roads from the National Park Celebration Drive on 4-27-03 and have run it 6 times with a friend this year. Its not too long (1.5-2 hours) not including a half hour putting around Valencia to/from the road and not including any breakfast/lunch spots. There's little traffic on it too. I can extend this route if need be... I can run it on Friday and see if I can plot an additional leg.

See my post in the other thread, I have turn by turn directions of a mega drives 264 miles long, an 8am to 6pm event including breakfast and lunch and dinner if willing. Not for the faint of heart.

I think that we could use a repeat of the Roland Linder drive through LA/Ventura county but I would have to get directions for this.

We can run Deer Creek, Mulholland, Decker, Stunt, and more Mulholland.

We can run Angeles Crest.

If you give me two weekends, I spotted a road on this drive recently that might work through Temecula and out towards Julian and back I want to plot.

Sunny

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    If there are any impromtu drives, count me IN! As long as im free, Id love to join along. Maybe since its not a group drive I can drive my own car if its just a small group of us. Id like to do it for at least one event. Someone can ride along with me if they would like.

Sunny that 264 mile drive sounds awesome. Im sure a few of the regulars would be willing to give it a shot. Winter break is coming up for me and what a better time to take a whole day off and go driving! If you ever want to run Ortega and cant find anybody else to join you, give me a call! Maybe Ill try out my car on Ortega and see how I do with you before I take it to an event.

4. DynastyD_308qv

Nov 24, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Ron Couch Jr.
    I would love to see a Drive in December.
    My hands are still numb from yesterdays white knuckler.
    Count me in!

Ron

5. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Good ideas, but how about a run up Angeles Crest, go east over the mountain, stop in at Mt. Wilson for a stop at the zoo and observatory and and down Azusa Canyon, and stop off at Santa Anita, bet on a few ponies, this one idea.

The other is go up the crest and head west and end up in wine country above Santa Barbera in the San Ynez valley.

Maybe a mapping meeting might be in order, where to get some really good maps?

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    What area is the big question - Ventura, LA, OC, or SD? Avoiding commuting mileage is nice if we can do it, so far it looks like OC is the spot unless more from the other counties join in.

For the longer drives, Yosemite, Vegas, and one in the works for 'North meets South' could fulfill this.

Sunny

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Both sound good. The long drive I referred to takes us right past Zaca Mesa, so you and I are on the same wave length. I have a route that takes us through this area and East, as far East as you'd like to go!

Sunny

8. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    There is a nice little airport next to Gainey winery, maybe a quick lap in a sail plane, also don't forget neverland!

9. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Now that would be fun! Are you a pilot Dave?

10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

11. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    one vote for OC here! id love to go on a drive, hopefully sometime before dec. 17th as ill be flying out of town...

ernie

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Work is sending me to New Zealand for a 3 weeks - I can only do a December drive if it's in late December. :-(

13. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Wow- 250mile drive- I'll need to prep the car for that one. A drive/get together of any type sounds good.

14. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Seems like some important questions are:

How long in terms of hours is the ideal drive?

Will anyone with a newer car drop out over concern over too many miles? (this is a real concern when people consider an 8,000 mile done a "driver". Not so worried myself but I would like to not lose participants over this issue.

Is a "destination important" or is just a drive for drives sake okay? (my guess is to get some passengers we will need a "destination".

What do you think?

Dave

15. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    A 250 miler is a little too much for me. I would say an hour or two would be good IMHO.
    Even just a cruise rather than a trek up some mountains works for me.

16. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Here's my thoughts ...

It's best to combine driving and eating ... isn't that the Italian way!

Have a drive that is not too long (60-100mi) ... culminating at an interesting place to eat and socialize. It's always great to chat about our adventure, over a meal.

Obviously, however long the drive is, we have to get back ... so the mileage is doubled. For some, the "drive to the drive" maybe another 25-50, even 75 miles!

I believe that the social aspect is very important, especially for the co-pilots. I know my wife, Diane, actually enjoys the chatting MORE than the driving! So ending the events at a location appropriate for a gathering, is what keeps her coming back!

About the driving style ... casual, brisk, flat-out or insane. Some of us (especially Diane) actually enjoy the scenery, so break the drivers into at least two driving groups, headed and swept by people who actually know where they are going. This is VERY important. I can speak from authority, being a past rallye master ... many drivers don't follow the directions, they just follow the driver ahead of them. Sprt of the blind following the blind!

Also ... and this maybe the most important part ... maintain these groupings throughout the drive. Don't allow them to disintegrate during the drive, as they always seem to do. This gives the slower drivers the confidence that they are not going to be left behind!

The events will be the most successful, when the can appeal to the broadest group of tastes. I'll volunteer to be a sweeper ... our old car doesn't mind screaming down the road, at times, but she really likes just cruising!

Hope this helps ... keep the events coming :-D

17. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    Count me in on the next drive event (so long as it's after Dec 8) as my wife and I are in CO and OR.

I am still kicking myself for having to miss the last drive.

My vote is the Angeles Crest route. Awesome scenery, a place to eat/chat in the middle and twisty curves.

Long or short drive, either way count me in!

-Jay.

18. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I agree with the guy that has the red ferrari!

If we want to do the Crest, not sure it can wait much later in the year due to weather. Check out this site, I feel like a real beginner based on this guys site. I will continue to look around some "Ninja" sites for ideas, seems like a bunch of research has already been done.

Mt. Wilson appears to close December 1 for the season according to their site.

www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/AngelsCrest.htm

19. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
  20. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    This is my vote, anyone have time sunday morning to do it, maybe leave OC, November 30, about 7-7:30 am.

Dave

21. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Dave,
    Are you up for this? I grew up out there. Great run. Give me a call at 949 533-7162. The F40 is ready to go. My email is [email protected]

I too live in Newport,
    Rick

22. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Rick,

Good to talk to you, looks good for me December 7, Sunday, hit the hill at 8:30 am leave newport about 7:30. Would be fun to see the F-40. Any other other takers? This will be a low key exploratory run.

Dave

23. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Rick, if you ever want a passenger shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) or give me a call at 949-786-5830 :)

Unfortunately December 7th wont work for me...I have 2 concerts that day. If anybody ever wants to cruise around or grab a bite to eat another day just let me know!

24. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    We did the Glendora run today, we went up to Mt. Baldy, then Gledora ridge then down Gledora Canyon.

Its about 45 min. up to the beginning of the road from Newport, Gledora Ridge is about a 10 mile road, great conditon, no traffic, no painted center line, no botz dots, excellent banking, little or no rocks, excellent, rates a 5 of 5 stars. Down Glendora canyon, returns to two lane, painted stripe, excellent asphault conditions with slight traffic, from the over look, we could see Azusa canyon and hear the bikes, looks like a nice road, moderate traffic though. All in all Glendora Ridge road is the best road I have ever driven in So. Cal. Highly recommended.