Picked up an MV Agusta F4s today | FerrariChat

Picked up an MV Agusta F4s today

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sherpa23, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have only put about 30 miles on it as it was not the nicest weather today. I like the bike overall. The sound is the best of any bike I've ever ridden. It reminds me of my 355. The only thing is that after riding my 998 for so long, I can't get used to the lack of power with this. As far as power and thrust, it's a great alternative to a 748 but not to the 998. As I said, though, I really like it and I look forward to riding it in the coming season.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

New or used? what year?

I had a 2000 MV, needed to really rev it, but around 9000 rpms the sound was so spectacular, I absolutely, positively could not stop laughing in my helmet. It was really fun.

CONGRATS on your new bike.

BTW, be careful of low speed turns, like at intersections, the turn-in is so fast, you can almost drop it in intersections.

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    HOT DAMN! :D Congrats man!

If you didn't have enough toys already! Pics man! Now you are making me regret the 748 decision, though the MV is out of my budget currently. Maybe in 2 years instead of a 998, I should step up to your MV ;)

PIC PIC PIC PIC

:D

Ryan I might have to call you again to hear this sound that you are talking about.

LOL, Ryan probably doesn't need that advice, as he is a shall we say an expert rider :D

But Doc, how would you compare, if you can, the turn in on a Ducati 748/996 to the MV? I heard the Duc's turn in is ferociously quick as well and making U turns and getting gas or parking lots manuevers may lead to dropping of the bike.

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    No kidding, expert or not, its really fast in turn-in. I remember one of the English rags described the turn-in characteristic as "the maddest bugger this side of a 250 GP bike"

The turn in is exactly opposite of what you suggested, at least on a 916. The LOCK is quick, so its hard to turn in tight spaces, kind of the opposite prob of the MV. The 916 , (at the 24.5 degree steering angle, I don't know about the 23.5 as I never set it there), really has to be muscled thru the real tight stuff, where as the MV was very flicky. In my opinion, the 916 was way more confidence inspiring because of the ultra stable front suspenders.

The MV was a total kick, and I swear, I could not help but laugh (not smile, actually laugh) when the revs got up. It absolutely shreiked. Mine was bad to throw big backfires (about 18 inches long) on off-throttle decelerations that were very entertaining to my buddies around dusk.

It had a habit of boiling out the rear brake reservior because it was next to the tail pipe. Not a big deal, although I did use a little rear trail in tightish corners, and the brake going missing was a surprise the first time.

Anyway, the MV was a total pleasure and an absolute hoot to ride.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Congrats sherpa, you will spend most of your time polishing it, especialy the fuel tank and seat pod, i find you just cant help ya self. Isnt the paint fantastic? its far better than on my 996.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

No pics yet. It looks just like the other ones, though. It's a 2000 with 7k miles and is pretty immaculate. It has the brake and ECU upgrades to an EVO 2 although we need to do a custom fuel map on our dyno to get the most out of the engine.

I have ridden them many times before and Michael is right. The low speed turn in is very quick and can take you by surprise if you back off the throttle at the wrong time. I am by no means an expert rider.

I also have to fix the spring loaded suicide stand. That thing sucks.

Charlie, my detail guy is cleaning it right now.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    BTW, like the 998, the F4S really needs a reverse shifter. I had it leaned over pretty far yesterday and my shoes were under the foot peg and they grazed a curb. Just about gave me a heart attack. I would really like to put a GP shifter on this so that I can leave my foot on top of the shifter to shift up.

And while I have enough track experience with some tricky bikes to pick up the hang of riding something like this pretty easily, I could see how a lot of people can have trouble initially. For example, the gm of my dealership wanted to take it for a spin. He did to the "back of the throttle at the wrong time" thing during a turn and almost lost the front end. It's a different bike for sure.

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

THATS what I was talking about.

Does your exhaust pipes melt your right lower fairing? Mine actually melted and got charred in a place. I guess it was designed for carbon, which I suppose is more heat resistant than the plastic.

Also, if you don't already know, the original oil filters were prone to catastrophic failure, throwing oil all over the belly and back tire, make sure you only use the updated factory filters. I suppose thats common knowledge at this point.

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ryan sounds like a great bike! You keeping it for yourself or selling it through the shop? Btw any luck with the FL 998 with non color match fairings?

Ride safe brotha!

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Michael,
    I told him that it was a little different at low speeds but he didn't realize how serious I was.

No problems with the exhaust, although I did look for that when I inspected it. We do know about the oil filters. We use aftermarket ones that have the problem solved.

Ryan,
    I bought it for me originally. After riding it on the test drive yesterday, I am not sure a 4 cyl is for me, though. We'll see, though. I am a little worried that I will regret it if I sell it as it is such a stunning example.

I can't give the guy anywhere close to what he wants for his 998. It has repainted fairings.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Keep the MV for a little while, I can assure you of a seller I know, but he just got a 748, so needs some time before he buys another one :D