Digital camera electrical problems... | FerrariChat

Digital camera electrical problems...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rob lay, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, my first digi I got about 2-3 years ago started having problems a couple months ago. I have the Sony DSC-P5. The battery only started lasting about 30% as before. I tried two other batteries as I thought that was the prob, but still same probs. Actually, the camera got worse. If the flash was on the camera would shut off and freeze. I couldn't even get the camera to turn back on to close the lens. It would work again with the power line, so I do think it was something with the camera circuits to the battery, but not the batteries.

I of course can't go without a digi, so 1 month ago I bought a Sony DSC-T1. This camera rocks! 5 mega pixel and it's smaller than a deck of cards.

My question is if it's worth it to get the DSC-P5 fixed? Is it unfixable or if it would cost more than $100, I doubt it would be worth it. Where would I take it?

I've had such bad luck with high tech electrical devices that run on batteries. Seems like right at 2-4 years they just stop working, I swear they design them to only last that long so you have to buy another one like I did. My cell phone, digi camera, and digi camcorder have all had electrical problems.

Thanks,
    rob

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sorry to hear of your troubles Rob. The T1 is a nice camera. I was looking at that but finally decided I may order the Elph S500 canon.

However if you can't fix it and want to sell it cheap, I will take it off your hands. I have gone without a camera all these years, and a used one might not be a bad idea. :)

I do agree on your theory that they design to not last long. My home cordless phone needs to be replaced every 2-3 years because the battery can't keep charge anymore, makes me :mad:

I have had good luck with cellphones though, since I have the old skool 3390 or whatever. It is the 4 lb one.

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am with you Rob - I have been through about 3 now... Usually after 2 batteries wear down (not holding charge) - the camera seems to do the same - most of mine last 2 years... However with the technology changing so fast - this is about my upgrade timing... Honestly, I would put it on e-bay with the problem listed - you might get a little for it - people will buy them to fix, or part. The problem with getting it fixed - which you can send it to Sony - depending on the problem - you might spend more to get it fixed than you think it is worth... Might want to give Sony Tech a call - they may know what the problem is... (http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/) Go to digital imaging section - you can do online support or go to contact sony... (should be a number in there somewhere.)

The other thing you can do - if you bought the old one with Amex Gold/Platinum or Visa - sometimes you will find that with these cards you get and extended warranty... The other thing to consider - since you take a lot of shots - you might want to buy and extended warranty for the camera... I typically never do this - because it usually is not worth it - but on things like digital cameras, some of the high-end MP3 players - and Tivo's I do (I have had 3 tivos crap out after the 1 year warranty runs out - and that get's me a new unit - usually upgraded to the current model.

Just some thoughts,