308 fuel injectors | FerrariChat

308 fuel injectors

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    all 8 fuel injectors are out of motor. this injectors ben in the car sence 1989 with 7:000 miles on them what is the best way to clean the injectors i pull the injectors out to paint the intake any info on this. thanks.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    For what it costs to have them properly and professionally cleaned and tested, it would be best to just replace them. OEM Bosch replacements are only $21 or so from www.importeccatalog.com

The part number (should) be : 0 437 502 047 But please confirm that number to be sure.....I know this is correct for the 308 QV/328. It is the latest, updated brass bodied version, versus the older steel type, that was apparently prone to corrosion, and fouling.

3. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    dave the part no for my injectors is # 0 437 502 010 it is in stock at $ 21.00 each i call ferrari they want $ 150.00 each thay are crazy. dave i, want to thank you for the info this is a very good price.

4. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Ria, the 0 437 502 010 has been substituted by 0 437 502 047 (steel vs. brass)
    Try to get them at an authorized Bosch outlet or at a Mercedes place.

5. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I truly find it amazing that Ferrari used such cheap stamped steel injectors, must of been all that was available. I replaced all 12 on my boxer and I was floored when I pulled the precision brass injectors out of the new box. Change them!!!

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    KurtK328,
    The source I listed is an "authorized Bosch outlet" and sells OEM Bosch injectors, not off-brand...I ordered 8 of them a couple months ago,...they came in factory yellow Bosch boxes and are indeed Bosch injectors.

Why pay more?

7. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    thanks to all of you again for the info.

8. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    While it doesn't look like a terribly complicated job, is there a step-by-step write-up on replacing the injectors?

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Anyone know where I can find out a flow vs pressure diagram for the stock injectors? (E.g. what's the highest rate the injectors will pass at system pressure?)

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    DGS,
    I've got a couple of CIS books + the Bosch Technical Instruction series. I'll take a look thru them tomorrow, but I don't remember such a drawing for the CIS injectors. The info may be buried in the injector test procedures tho. (BTW, I believe one of the Fchat members works for a company that rebuilds the CIS distributors. He may be able to come up with the info. Can't remember his name tho.)

I'm curious why you need the info tho. Planning some perf. improvements?

'Gards, Verell

11. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Could this help. This chart is use for flow test of the injectors with the bosch KDJE7451 tester.

best regards, Jim

12. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I'm toying with the notion of an EFI conversion that uses separate metering valves connected to the stock CIS injectors to avoid having to mod the manifold (making it easier to revert the car back to stock). Getting rid of the AFM plate should improve throttle response.

But mostly, I'm looking at adding on-board diagnostics, either to the stock system, or to an upgrade. (As I think my Marelli 'puter is starting to go.)

Measuring the pressure drop between the valve and injector, once the valve closes, can alert you to a "sick" injector. But I'm trying to figure out if the pressure will fall all the way back to injector cutoff at WOT, or if the pressure reading has to be more quantized.

So far, it's still in what 6sigma buffs would call the "characterize" phase (having skipped the "commit" phase).

And most purists would be appalled at replacing the Bosch and Marelli electronics with Mitsubishi. ;) But the M32R is one of the more versatile embeddable processors for harsh environments you can get without a security clearance. And the GNU compiler supports it.

Heck, I need some hobby to fill the time between F1 races. ;)

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I found essentially the same info as Dr_Ferrari posted. Suspect that's all you're going to find. Sorry, but I couldn't find the injector input fuel pressures corresponding to the flows.

14. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Thanks Dr, Verell. That gives me some more numbers to plug into sims. ;)